Coronavirus and General O/T Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Everyone cancelling Thanksgiving. Still gonna make everything though. Will have leftovers for days lol

same here. Might go up to see my mom since she's essentially a hermit aside from going to work, but everyone else...just too much exposure risk. That's where we are leaning right now, anyway.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
same here. Might go up to see my mom since she's essentially a hermit aside from going to work, but everyone else...just too much exposure risk. That's where we are leaning right now, anyway.

I'm not sure if I'll get to see my mom for awhile. She's in some at risk groups but is generally very healthy. With the infection rates so high now and looking to continue through winter, I don't know how we can plan Christmas or any other time. I'd worry about bringing it to her from the city unknowingly (although the rates in her small community are quite high now, too).

But the thought of not seeing her for a full year or more is hard. We don't get the quality time we used to and at a certain age, every year really counts. It's setting in that for millions and millions of us, this is lost time we're not getting back.

Reactions: Winger98

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Pretty sure they all got that joke from Fox or OANN

shhhhh_keep_it_down_walking_dead.gif

The admins are watching.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Saw this on a list of fun internet questions:

Would you rather...?

-Hit a homerun as a pitcher.
-Score a goal as a hockey/soccer goalie
-Score a touchdown as a lineman
-Make a halfcourt shot as a "classic" basketball center

My first sports love is basketball so that inherently gets consideration from me but I gotta go with scoring a goal as a hockey goalie. Also this answer comes from someone whose appreciation level for the sports of baseball and football is at a 1 or 2 while the other sports are at a 10.​
Decided to pull this from the other thread, but it kind of depends on the situation.
I feel like a half court shot being made by a center would have the most significance, as they would be taking the shot out of desparation at the end of a game to win it.
I feel like hitting a HR as a pitcher is exhilarating because it's so unexpected and helping your cause as a pitcher.
Scoring as a lineman is the same kind of thing as hitting a home run as a pitcher, where it's something special, but at the same time there were plenty of offensive players that could've done the same.
Scoring as a goalie is probably the least significant as you are probably in a situation that your team is up in an empty net scenario, but it's extremely rare and giving yourself the insurance goal (and in turn most likely the win) -I feel it has less significance maybe on par with the touchdown as a lineman.
So probably
Basketball Center
Hockey Goalie (solely due to rarity)
Baseball Pitcher
Lineman TD
Would be my ranking. I don't like basketball, though, so I could go either way.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Decided to pull this from the other thread, but it kind of depends on the situation.
I feel like a half court shot being made by a center would have the most significance, as they would be taking the shot out of desparation at the end of a game to win it.
I feel like hitting a HR as a pitcher is exhilarating because it's so unexpected and helping your cause as a pitcher.
Scoring as a lineman is the same kind of thing as hitting a home run as a pitcher, where it's something special, but at the same time there were plenty of offensive players that could've done the same.
Scoring as a goalie is probably the least significant as you are probably in a situation that your team is up in an empty net scenario, but it's extremely rare and giving yourself the insurance goal (and in turn most likely the win) -I feel it has less significance maybe on par with the touchdown as a lineman.
So probably
Basketball Center
Baseball Pitcher
Lineman TD

Goal as a goalie. I don't care about the in-game significance. For all of the others, if there is any significance attached to it, someone f***ed up somewhere. So, for me at least, the situation is kind of irrelevant.

Just think about it this way...

You know the goalies who have scored goals. Without looking it up, I can tell you that Ron Hextall got a couple, Chris Osgood scored one, Mike Smith scored one and Brodeur got a couple. Outside of knowing that Madison Bumgarner can rake, Bartolo Colon doing anything on a baseball field is hilarious, and Shohei Ohtani is a two-way absolute monster... There are guys who have hit double digits in a career or 7 in a season as a pitcher.

Centers making threes? That's the game now. You're actually a dogshit center if you can't jack up threes at a reasonable rate. If it were Shawn Bradley launching a three, I might feel differently, but that's not the game anymore.

Fatman TDs are always a joy.

Goalie goal
Fatman TDs (Linemen scoring)
Pitcher HR
Basketball Center (with right to adjsut if the "classic" center is Shawn Bradley. Watching that goofy f*** do anything was hilarious.)

Reactions: jkutswings

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
So probably
Basketball Center
Baseball Pitcher
Lineman TD

When asking this to all the halfway baseball fan people in my life they didn't hesitate for even half a second - They went with home run as a pitcher. I kind of get it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Centers making threes? That's the game now. You're actually a dogshit center if you can't jack up threes at a reasonable rate. If it were Shawn Bradley launching a three, I might feel differently, but that's not the game anymore.
It was center making a halfcourt 3, why do you shoot a halfcourt 3? As a buzzer beater of course. At least that's how I interpret it. I feel like a big ol C tossing up a prayer to win the game would be pretty huge.
A goalie scoring is crazy rare, and historic, but generally a goalie is scoring with at least a 1 goal lead.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Now new fallout on Wednesday evening over the two photos obtained exclusively by FOX 11 Tuesday night showing Governor Gavin Newsom dining at the luxurious French Laundry restaurant in Napa for the birthday dinner of well-known lobbyist Jason Kinney.

Not only do they call into question Governor Newsom's explanation that the dinner was outside they also reveal that two high-level members of the California Medical Association were there at the dinner with the governor and that’s sparking outrage.

FOX 11 obtains exclusive photos of Gov. Newsom at French restaurant allegedly not following COVID-19 protocols

------

Remember, these are the people telling you to not have Thanksgiving! Wear a mask! Socially distance! Hahahahha

Reactions: Red Stanley

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

Now new fallout on Wednesday evening over the two photos obtained exclusively by FOX 11 Tuesday night showing Governor Gavin Newsom dining at the luxurious French Laundry restaurant in Napa for the birthday dinner of well-known lobbyist Jason Kinney.

Not only do they call into question Governor Newsom's explanation that the dinner was outside they also reveal that two high-level members of the California Medical Association were there at the dinner with the governor and that’s sparking outrage.

FOX 11 obtains exclusive photos of Gov. Newsom at French restaurant allegedly not following COVID-19 protocols

------

Remember, these are the people telling you to not have Thanksgiving! Wear a mask! Socially distance! Hahahahha

Just curious, what do you think this is evidence of?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This is nothing new. Since March (and even earlier) there have been many people taking COVID-19 seriously and many people not taking it seriously (or at least not seriously enough to prevent infection rates from increasing).

What the governor of California does or does not do can send the wrong message, yes. But it doesn't change the reality of what the public needs to do. Either millions of people like you and I do what we can or we don't. And there are medical consequences to both options.

If only half the players on a roster buy into what the coaches are saying, they're likely going to fail. That doesn't necessarily mean the coaches have a lousy message - ANY message has full participation as a prerequisite for success.

Reactions: Bench and Ricelund

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

------

Stooooooooooop. Take your anger and conspiracy theories to Parler, not HFBoards.

My Thanksgiving will consist of the same thing it has for the past 15 years. Get drunk, watch the Lions lose, and stuff my face full of food until I hate life.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
This is nothing new. Since March (and even earlier) there have been many people taking COVID-19 seriously and many people not taking it seriously (or at least not seriously enough to prevent infection rates from increasing).

What the governor of California does or does not do can send the wrong message, yes. But it doesn't change the reality of what the public needs to do. Either millions of people like you and I do what we can or we don't. And there are medical consequences to both options.

If only half the players on a roster buy into what the coaches are saying, they're likely going to fail. That doesn't necessarily mean the coaches have a lousy message - ANY message has full participation as a prerequisite for success.

I agree with what you're saying but when public figures send the wrong message like this, it can only make things worse. They didn't need to have that gathering. You and I individually can look at that and just think, "I don't agree with what he did and I'm not doing that." But if you're a small business owner (especially in the California area) being forced to shut down and layoff a bunch of employees and you see something like that, you'd be really confused and angry. Moreso angry.

I personally think we should take the virus seriously. But I also think it's only fair to expect others to take it as seriously to the extent in which their basic economic livelihoods are stable.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Just curious, what do you think this is evidence of?
That they don't care about following the rules they expect everyone else to. Turns out you get to live a normal life so long as you're an elected government official. Us normal people have to shut up, wear a mask and sit in our homes all day.

Remember, WE are the awful people not following guidelines and are the cause of these recent surges. These are the people shutting off your power when you have too many people over at your house or threatening to jail you if you get a hair cut (even thought they are allowed to get haircuts). Newsom also sends his kids to an expensive private school in-person while telling everyone else in the state they can't send their kids to public school.

Him attending this dinner, along the CEO of California Medical Association, should tell you everything you need to know about the seriousness of this pandemic.

Reactions: Red Stanley

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
That they don't care about following the rules they expect everyone else to. Turns out you get to live a normal life so long as you're an elected government official. Us normal people have to shut up, wear a mask and sit in our homes all day.

Remember, WE are the awful people not following guidelines and are the cause of these recent surges. These are the people shutting off your power when you have too many people over at your house or threatening to jail you if you get a hair cut (even thought they are allowed to get haircuts). Newsom also sends his kids to an expensive private school in-person while telling everyone else in the state they can't send their kids to public school.

Him attending this dinner, along the CEO of California Medical Association, should tell you everything you need to know about the seriousness of this pandemic.
So if the chief of police in your city were caught drunk driving, would that mean drunk driving isn't serious problem and prohibiting drunk driving is poor public policy?

Reactions: Ezekial

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
So if the chief of police in your city were caught drunk driving, would that mean drunk driving isn't serious problem and prohibiting drunk driving is poor public policy?
No one takes drunk driving seriously. Find a better example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad