OT: Coronavirus 4 - or is that thread 2.75?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Do you know which one they got and was it only the first dose? It's totally anecdotal, but I know at least 30 people that got the Pfizer dose (including me, my wife and kids) and none of us had any reaction other than a sore arm after the first dose. Of the 10 or so people I talked to that got the first Moderna vaccine, they said they felt a little lethargic the next day, but not enough to stop them from working.
None had the J&J, seemed to be a mix of Moderna and Pfizer in the group, couldn't tell you the exact numbers of each

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Do you know which one they got and was it only the first dose? It's totally anecdotal, but I know at least 30 people that got the Pfizer dose (including me, my wife and kids) and none of us had any reaction other than a sore arm after the first dose. Of the 10 or so people I talked to that got the first Moderna vaccine, they said they felt a little lethargic the next day, but not enough to stop them from working.

Wife and I got #2 Pfizer on Friday. She was sick all day Sat and most of the day Sunday but is fine this am. First shot made me nauseous initially but good the next day. #2 for me was no problem.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I'm going to get the vaccine when I get the chance, but business has started to pick up again (Thank God), and I don't want to be dealing with the side effects of the shot (especially the 2nd dose) while I've got clients to take care of.

Are you responsible for clients on weekends? Seems it's pretty rare for side effects to last beyond a day or two, which is why they scheduled the two teachers clinics up here on a Friday.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Are you responsible for clients on weekends? Seems it's pretty rare for side effects to last beyond a day or two, which is why they scheduled the two teachers clinics up here on a Friday.

I'm available 24/7. Before the virus, I usually had my weekends packed with vacation clients. It's starting to get that way again. Had a few last weekend, even more this upcoming one, and I expect it'll get busier over the next few months. People have been stuck at home, and are taking their first opportunity to get out and go...anywhere.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I'm available 24/7. Before the virus, I usually had my weekends packed with vacation clients. It's starting to get that way again. Had a few last weekend, even more this upcoming one, and I expect it'll get busier over the next few months. People have been stuck at home, and are taking their first opportunity to get out and go...anywhere.
I'm glad to hear you are getting busy again.

toastmasterbone

Mar 14, 2013
mebbin
You guys have already figured it out, but in basic drug development, when we're trying to figure out adverse events, we ask "nonleading questions," like, "how do you feel since we last saw you?" In vaccines, we have a list of solicited complaints and ask you straight up about injection-site complaints and systemic complaints. There's a group that we always ask, adding in a few others that we saw in early studies. Injection-site complaints that we always ask about are erythema (redness), pain/tenderness, and swelling. For each, we evaluate size and intensity, but only when the good-looking nurses have left the room. (ba-doom-boom) Systemic complaints are usually arthralgia (joint pain), fatigue, headache, and myalgia (muscle pain). We also check temperature.

You can dig up the fact sheets for each vaccine on FDA.gov. Moderna lists fatigue, headache, myalgia, arthralgia, chills, nausea/vomiting, axillary swelling/tenderness, fever, swelling at the injection site, and erythema at the injection site. And if you dig around for the published findings (I think Pfizer is in Lancet and Moderna is in Nature) you can see some cool graphs of what to expect. I THINK I've got 2 attached correctly, but I've started drinking early. (You'll see the 10-mcg and 30-mcg levels, which each had a 2-injection treatment, and a 100-mcg dose which only had 1 injection. This was the dose-finding study.)
Moderna_Dose 1 AEs.jpg
Moderna_Dose 2 AEs.jpg

Reactions: MinJaBen

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Since my first Pfizer shot, I have had tinnitus and muffled hearing for a week now. It's not the worst side effect but annoying. My dog and family enter a room or come up behind me and I have no clue. I have to play the TV sound on 25-30 and the volume on my iPhone is almost maxed. Gonna see an ENT soon if it doesn't improve.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Since my first Pfizer shot, I have had tinnitus and muffled hearing for a week now. It's not the worst side effect but annoying. My dog and family enter a room or come up behind me and I have no clue. I have to play the TV sound on 25-30 and the volume on my iPhone is almost maxed. Gonna see an ENT soon if it doesn't improve.
Unfortunately, I wouldn’t know if the shot did that to me as I already had tinnitus for years. I’d pay good money to get rid of that.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Unfortunately, I wouldn’t know if the shot did that to me as I already had tinnitus for years. I’d pay good money to get rid of that.
Gosh, I am sorry. I have to play music or something to distract me. I read that Covid long haulers have found that B12 can help but so far, it has made it louder and more noticeable.

Reactions: MinJaBen

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Gosh, I am sorry. I have to play music or something to distract me. I read that Covid long haulers have found that B12 can help but so far, it has made it louder and more noticeable.
I can tune it out if I get busy. It’s worse when it very quiet. I’ve found it doesn’t like my coffee habit, but I’m not ready to give that up just yet.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
My wife is getting her 1st this morning and I'm getting my first this afternoon. She's getting hers at work, but I am having to drive to Smithfield. An hour drive, but well worth it to take care of it.

For those of you in the area still looking, I went though the UNC health system, and it looks like there is a ton of availability in Smithfield, Goldsboro, and Flat Rock.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
As of Monday, ~36% of 18+ year olds in NC have gotten 1 dose and 22% have gotten fully vaccinated.

Also very encouraging news on the vaccines effectiveness at minimizing spread
I looked at the NYT covid map this morning...

Cases in the US are up 20% over the last 14 days.
Deaths are down 23% over the past 14 days
Hospitalizations are down 3% over the past 14 days

This kind of shows what the scientists who tested the vaccine said would happen. You might still catch it, because it doesn't make you immune to it, but it prevents a severe reaction, reducing hospitalizations, and slashing the death rate.

It was never about completely eradicating the disease. It was just about making it manageable so that it didn't kill you and wouldn't overwhelm our health care system. Once we are at the point where numbers normalize once vaccines are fully rolled out, I don't doubt we will be back to normal.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I looked at the NYT covid map this morning...

Cases in the US are up 20% over the last 14 days.
Deaths are down 23% over the past 14 days
Hospitalizations are down 3% over the past 14 days

This kind of shows what the scientists who tested the vaccine said would happen. You might still catch it, because it doesn't make you immune to it, but it prevents a severe reaction, reducing hospitalizations, and slashing the death rate.

It was never about completely eradicating the disease. It was just about making it manageable so that it didn't kill you and wouldn't overwhelm our health care system. Once we are at the point where numbers normalize once vaccines are fully rolled out, I don't doubt we will be back to normal.

All of that is true, but not what appears to be happening. The new “surge” is not fully vaccinated getting sick, but younger folks and others who haven’t been vaccinated letting their guard down after the previous surge.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
All of that is true, but not what appears to be happening. The new “surge” is not fully vaccinated getting sick, but younger folks and others who haven’t been vaccinated letting their guard down after the previous surge.
Its a combination of both. Young people still are capable of spreading to old, and if they are careless enough to go on spring break and such, they're also careless enough to expose high risk. The fact that hospitalizations is in a steep decline and deaths are in a slow decline while overall cases spike... That's definitely a good sign because it helps show that vaccines just might protecting those with the higher risk.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
From what I read, the data is showing that vaccinations ARE effective at limiting the spread so it isn't primarily a situation where "You might still catch it, because it doesn't make you immune to it, but it prevents a severe reaction." I'm sure there are some case of that, but the CDC data is saying that the vaccine's are 90% effective at preventing infections all together so you don't even catch it.

I think the data lines up more with what @MinJaBen said. The increase in spread is because of younger / non-vaccinated people who are catching and spreading it. The reason hospitalizations and deaths are down though is because: a) more of the "at risk population" is vaccinated so aren't catching it any longer and in the off chance they do, the vaccination keeps them from seriously getting sick and b) the population that is now catching/spreading it is younger and less prone to having worse effects from it. A 3rd factor might be (speculation) that a large number of the most vulnerable have perished from it already.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad