OT: Coronavirus 4 - or is that thread 2.75?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
That 300m seems very excessive to me as well. Unless they are assuming it's a flu like thing where they'll need to vaccinate every year? Just speculating.

I can’t imagine they believe that the vaccine they purchased will be used next year as part of an annual thing. I do think it will be an annual shot like the flu, but also like the flu, I think everyone realizes that the vaccine will need to be constantly updated to account for variants. This year’s vaccine may be worthless by next December if the virus keeps mutating like it appears to be doing.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I can’t imagine they believe that the vaccine they purchased will be used next year as part of an annual thing. I do think it will be an annual shot like the flu, but also like the flu, I think everyone realizes that the vaccine will need to be constantly updated to account for variants. This year’s vaccine may be worthless by next December if the virus keeps mutating like it appears to be doing.
Agree, but I was more thinking that by the time the doses arrive and everyone gets their 1st dose, they’ll already be starting the 2nd. I didn’t read the article so assumed these doses would be spread out over time.

Reactions: MinJaBen

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
When/if (when) it continues to mutate infection will become less severe

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Also: the mRNA approach appears to reduce the cost of experimentation radically, to the point that researchers are looking at possibilities of a vaccine against all Coronavirus variants, including many variants of "the common cold", and then at HIV and sickle cell and others.

The proven success of mRNA vaccines is a really, really, really big deal. I think we aren't really grasping it yet because we're still in the middle of it.

The next act for messenger RNA could be bigger than covid vaccines

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
A new Finnish breathalyzer device looks like a bit of a game changer for Covid-19 testing, especially when it comes to travelling and such. Mass production should start in February; seems like it would come in handy in curtailing the next plague that comes along, too.

Rapid Covid breath test devices developed in Finland

A few puffs into a handheld device, where nanosensors analyse your breath. Data is sent via a mobile app to a cloud-based service that within a few seconds says whether or not the testee has Covid-19.

That's the plan for a Tampere firm that is developing a Covid-19 breathalyser device.

The result is based on the biomarkers that indicate changes in the body when people are infected with Covid. When people breathe out, they leave the lungs and the body, allowing breathalysers to identify Covid cases.
Levels are sent to the cloud-based service, which compares them to those found in Covid patients and allows an initial diagnosis to be made.

"It takes an average of 15 seconds to give a sample, and the analysis takes around three seconds, so we can genuinely talk about real time assessment and diagnosis," said Pekka Rissanen of the Tampere firm Deep Sensing Algorithms. "Each cycle is around two minutes so the next person can come after two minutes to breathe into the device."

Here's a video that demonstrates how it works (in Finnish, but you'll get the idea):

Puhallustesteri antaa minuutissa tiedon koronatartunnasta – laitteiden valmistus alkaa Suomessa

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
"When people breathe out, they leave the lungs and the body"

This bit is like from The Prodigy song and its video.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
A new Finnish breathalyzer device looks like a bit of a game changer for Covid-19 testing, especially when it comes to travelling and such. Mass production should start in February; seems like it would come in handy in curtailing the next plague that comes along, too.

Rapid Covid breath test devices developed in Finland

Here's a video that demonstrates how it works (in Finnish, but you'll get the idea):

Puhallustesteri antaa minuutissa tiedon koronatartunnasta – laitteiden valmistus alkaa Suomessa
And won’t be approved for use in the US until 2030. The boring company will have get rights in the US and market it as a “not a Covid test”

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
On the Army Reserves side we were having to push it up the chain if a service member or their family member living with them got it.

that ended after two weeks. Not that it was a cause for ending it but, my tiny unit had issues with folks who worked together full time and found out through the reporting that another had it. All before their work had notified anyone. It was weird.

now its up to the Soldier. We meet virtually so, no exposure.

What is your MOS?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
My wife got her first shot of the Moderna vaccine last week. One of her colleagues also got her first dose of the Moderna. Both of them had severe side effects. My wife was in bed all weekend. My sister had had her first shot of the Pfizer version and had no side effects. No idea why the Moderna seems to have worse side effects, interesting though. (My sister is a nurse and wife is a psychologist)

I’m thankful she got the shot, but am a little apprehensive about the “second dose worse than the first” stuff that we’ve been hearing.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
My wife got her first shot of the Moderna vaccine last week. One of her colleagues also got her first dose of the Moderna. Both of them had severe side effects. My wife was in bed all weekend. My sister had had her first shot of the Pfizer version and had no side effects. No idea why the Moderna seems to have worse side effects, interesting though. (My sister is a nurse and wife is a psychologist)

I’m thankful she got the shot, but am a little apprehensive about the “second dose worse than the first” stuff that we’ve been hearing.
Had Pfizer and I am just kinda tired and the shoulder hurt a bit for a day.

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
Had Pfizer and I am just kinda tired and the shoulder hurt a bit for a day.
Same exact thing for me. Got my first Pfizer shot on Feb 9 and only had a sore arm for about 36 hours and was a little sleepy/groggy that evening and following day. I actually slept very well. I get my 2nd dose on March 2 so I’m preparing for that one to be a doozy.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City

Got 1st Moderna Saturday and just had a bit of sore arm for a couple days.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
An article in the paper today (written by a Johns Hopkins Prof) predicts the US will have herd immunity by April citing the following:

• Testing has been capturing only from 10% to 25% of infections, depending on when during the pandemic someone got the virus. Applying a time-weighted case capture average of 1 in 6.5 to the cumulative 28 million confirmed cases would mean about 55% of Americans have natural immunity.
  • 15% of Americans have received the vaccine, and the figure is rising fast.
  • Former Food and Drug Commissioner Scott Gottlieb estimates 250 million doses will have been delivered to some 150 million people by the end of March.
  • About 1 in 600 Americans has died of Covid-19, which translates to a population fatality rate of about 0.15%. The Covid-19 infection fatality rate is about 0.23%. These numbers indicate that roughly two-thirds of the U.S. population has had the infection.
  • Cases are down 77% over the past six weeks.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
An article in the paper today (written by a Johns Hopkins Prof) predicts the US will have herd immunity by April citing the following:

• Testing has been capturing only from 10% to 25% of infections, depending on when during the pandemic someone got the virus. Applying a time-weighted case capture average of 1 in 6.5 to the cumulative 28 million confirmed cases would mean about 55% of Americans have natural immunity.
  • 15% of Americans have received the vaccine, and the figure is rising fast.
  • Former Food and Drug Commissioner Scott Gottlieb estimates 250 million doses will have been delivered to some 150 million people by the end of March.
  • About 1 in 600 Americans has died of Covid-19, which translates to a population fatality rate of about 0.15%. The Covid-19 infection fatality rate is about 0.23%. These numbers indicate that roughly two-thirds of the U.S. population has had the infection.
  • Cases are down 77% over the past six weeks.
Do you have a link? I'd love to read it.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The Finnish press reports a corona testing stick broke into someone's nose in the town of Rovaniemi and was stuck there for fifteen minutes.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The Finnish press reports a corona testing stick broke into someone's nose in the town of Rovaniemi and was stuck there for fifteen minutes.
If the nose had an alarm system, they would have had it out much sooner.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
got me some of that vaccine, son

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad