OT: Coronavirus 4 - or is that thread 2.75?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I just wanted to add that I am in the Pfizer study group. I was recently unblinded and informed that I did receive the actual vaccine. My Mom got the placebo (she is also part of the study). While it's true that we don't know if my having the vaccine will prevent me from spreading, I would imagine that the vaccine PROBABLY helps prevent spread. I will say that I'm a teacher and I have been exposed to several students who got it in my class. I teach at a private school and we have been teaching hybrid, but 70-80% of my students opt to come in person. We wear masks at all times, do daily screenings, and several other measures. It makes me wonder if my vaccine, which I got in September, has prevented me from getting the virus. Who knows?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
On the Army Reserves side we were having to push it up the chain if a service member or their family member living with them got it.

that ended after two weeks. Not that it was a cause for ending it but, my tiny unit had issues with folks who worked together full time and found out through the reporting that another had it. All before their work had notified anyone. It was weird.

now its up to the Soldier. We meet virtually so, no exposure.

Reactions: DaveG

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Any thoughts on revised PCR test cycle threshold guidance from the WHO and CDC?

There was this article in the NY Times last summer highlighting the over-cycling issue...very odd it took so long for the health orgs to update guidance.

It looks like instead of cycling 40 turns, the should stop somewhere in the 30-35 range and this would cut the cases in half.

Hopefully the NHL tests are not still over-cycling and causing false positives and unnecessary game delays.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
One of my friends had covid, he got Ivermectin, said 12 hours and pretty much felt fine after taking the 1st dose.

His wife was given it also, she never got sick and has cleared quarantine today.

He said it was the 3rd worse sickness. Behind Whooping Cough and Lyme, Lyme being the worst.

Reactions: MinJaBen

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
CovidVacNC.jpg

CovidNCDemo.jpg

A ways to go still...a bit of disparity between women and men...perhaps life expectancy in 75+ and more women in healthcare could explain some of the difference?

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Thanks. He did get to a hospital quickly, but it was a small hospital in a small town that didn’t have the right expertise, so they had to transfer him to a bigger hospital 2 hours away.

when my sister left him at the first hospital around midnight, he had use of both sides of his body, and his right eye was responding to the light test. He was having a little trouble talking, but could still talk.

the next morning, when my brother arrived the next morning at the 2nd hospital, his condition had worsened significantly and his right side wasn’t responding to much at all, so we aren’t sure yet, but the neurologist wasn’t very optimistic.

Not really covid related, but my father passed away this morning from complications from his stroke. Ironically, today is the day he was schedule to get a 2nd dose of the Vaccine had the stroke not occurred a couple of weeks ago. He was in a lot of pain and discomfort the past few days so it's probably for the best as I know he didn't want to live the rest of his life like that.

He was a life long, die-hard Cubs fan and for years had always said "I just want to Cubs to win a world-series before I die." In 2016, we talked when the Cubs were down 3-1 and he said. "I thought this was the chance, but doesn't look like it's going to happen." Then, the Cubs come back and win it, but the best part, is that because of the rain delay, game 7 went past midnight so the Cubs clinched on his birthday. Best present he could ever get. I was watching at a friends house and after I left, they called my dad (they were rather drunk) and celebrated with him on the phone.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Not really covid related, but my father passed away this morning from complications from his stroke. Ironically, today is the day he was schedule to get a 2nd dose of the Vaccine had the stroke not occurred a couple of weeks ago. He was in a lot of pain and discomfort the past few days so it's probably for the best as I know he didn't want to live the rest of his life like that.

He was a life long, die-hard Cubs fan and for years had always said "I just want to Cubs to win a world-series before I die." In 2016, we talked when the Cubs were down 3-1 and he said. "I thought this was the chance, but doesn't look like it's going to happen." Then, the Cubs come back and win it, but the best part, is that because of the rain delay, game 7 went past midnight so the Cubs clinched on his birthday. Best present he could ever get. I was watching at a friends house and after I left, they called my dad (they were rather drunk) and celebrated with him on the phone.

Sorry to hear that. As a life long Tribe fan I might be a little biased but that was by the far best World Series ever and hearing this make the sting of being on the losing side very minor

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

Sorry for your loss BBA. That's a great story/memory though, the kind that can stick with you forever!

Time for you and @MrazeksVengeance to take VENGEANCE

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

I'm so very sorry for your family's loss.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018

We live, we fight, we fall. As someone whose pain is still fresh, I can relate.

I shall mourn with you. However in the end when the time is right, we move on and praise what we had in our fathers and the imprint they left in the lives of those that remember them. Stay strong.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Thanks for all the well wishes. It always amazes me some of the stories you find out after someone passes. My Dad's best friend called me yesterday and we chatted. I asked how they met, and he said they first met when he was 15 and my Dad was 17. My Dad actually dated his sister for a while and that's how they met. When my Dad graduated, he went into the Air force and the two kind of lost track of each other. Then when he graduated, his friend joined the service as well. A few years later, when they were discharged, they ended upon the the same ship transporting them back to the US from Europe (small world, huh?) and didn't realize it until there was some sort of roll call over a speaker as both of them have more unique last names. My Dad then moved to California for a couple years and again they lost track of each other but moved back home and took at job. A year later, this friend returned home and took a job at the same place, not knowing my Dad worked there. They started golfing and bowling together and have played golf together every week during the spring/summer/fall for the last 40-50 years.

The funny part of that story is about 10 years ago, I was traveling to Japan via Chicago-SanFran. As we stopped over in Chicago, I was walking from gate to gate when someone called my name. It was the son of my Dad's best friend who happened to be stopping over in Chicago at the same time. Weird.

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA

Sincere condolences my friend. Thoughts, prayers, and positive vibes to you and your family. I hope there is peace and comfort on the horizon for you all.

I shed a tear or two when the Cubs won in 2016. I'm more of a White Sox guy, but I got behind the Northsiders all the way that year. I'm glad he got to see that. The Cubs winning a WS was not only a literal pre-death wish/bucket list item for many inside the Chicagoland area, but worldwide. Just goes to show, if the Cubs can win a WS, literally anything is possible in life!!

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Reactions: hblueridgegal

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007

The sooner the better.

I’m going to guess that there are going to be way fewer than 300 million people who want the shot(s). Has there been any update on children and the vaccine?
Seems to me we ordered way too many...which is better than too few I suppose.
Canada weeps ......

Reactions: WreckingCrew

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I’m going to guess that there are going to be way fewer than 300 million people who want the shot(s). Has there been any update on children and the vaccine?
Canada weeps ......
I think I saw that that they thought first graders and above could be approved by later this year.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Canada weeps ......

That 300m seems very excessive to me as well. Unless they are assuming it's a flu like thing where they'll need to vaccinate every year? Just speculating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad