OT: Corona virus thread-7 months later we're still screwed (MOD: NO POLITICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Everyone: hopefully nothing goes wrong now that hockey is almost back..

giphy.gif

Reactions: harv33173

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I don't even care about this year but how is even next year possible. They can't isolate players and their families etc. for a whole season and the vaccine is a year away. They'll try ofc like now but it's just a matter of time until players get it.

Reactions: PanthersHockey1

IceKitties

Dec 31, 2017
Florida
I don't even care about this year but how is even next year possible. They can't isolate players and their families etc. for a whole season and the vaccine is a year away. They'll try ofc like now but it's just a matter of time until players get it.

This is the big question. If there's no vaccine, then the major sports leagues are just going to have to decide whether they're willing to wait for the vaccine to come, or play knowing the risks that come with it. Given how much money is on the line and how it's impossible to predict exactly when the vaccine will be available and safe for everyone to take, I have to imagine they won't wait on the vaccine.

And by 2021, who knows what the world will look like. Will we know much more about the virus and have more effective treatments for it? Will there be enough herd immunity by that point that it's safe to gather enough people to play a game (with no fans in the seats)? I'm not sure if there is any way to predict any of those things, but I would imagine the major sports leagues are hoping and praying that all of the above and more are true come next year.

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
This is the big question. If there's no vaccine, then the major sports leagues are just going to have to decide whether they're willing to wait for the vaccine to come, or play knowing the risks that come with it. Given how much money is on the line and how it's impossible to predict exactly when the vaccine will be available and safe for everyone to take, I have to imagine they won't wait on the vaccine.

This is why they are going to play. Nothing is going to change between now and January vaccine wise. Is the league going to cancel multiple seasons? Of course not.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
If they start, and then a player gets it which forces them to sit out for 2 weeks minimum, do they cancel everything or continue? In other words, could potential star players essentially get removed from play as the playoffs move on? If that’s the case a lot of crazy results could happen

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
If they start, and then a player gets it which forces them to sit out for 2 weeks minimum, do they cancel everything or continue? In other words, could potential star players essentially get removed from play as the playoffs move on? If that’s the case a lot of crazy results could happen

In boxing, everyone is in a bubble in Vegas.

This has already happened where someone from inside the bubble has tested positive. The fight was just cancelled, I believe he was sent home (*actually, he might have stayed, as I think his fight is rescheduled for July 14th), and the sport resumed on as "normal".
I would think something like that would happen in other sports once they have started up.

Last edited:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
We're probably going to have more cases in the coming weeks, Midsummer festivities is this weekend (obviously all the festivals and other events were cancelled months ago, but that won't stop people from gathering in large groups) and bars/pubs can now stay open longer. IIRC night clubs are opening in July too.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
The thing about now is that players are coming from the outside world to training facilities and such. So it's probably not surprising that players will be testing positive more now, after they have been interacting with the general public and safety protocols are followed in unpredictable ways. After they get into training camps in a much more strict environment for safety protocols, the positive tests should diminish I would think.

But the real problem I think isn't so much with the players as it is with the older coaches and staff and such. But I think the NHL has looked at all of this, and were prepared for multiple scenarios including this one, with players testing positive now.

And also, the NHL has said that if a player tests positive while the games are being played, that player will go into isolation, and the games will continue.

IceKitties

Dec 31, 2017
Florida
This is why they are going to play. Nothing is going to change between now and January vaccine wise. Is the league going to cancel multiple seasons? Of course not.

This is why it confuses me to see people still say they shouldn't play until there's a vaccine... What happens if 2021 comes and goes and there's no vaccine? Then 2022... Then 2023... This virus will be here for awhile, sports leagues aren't just going to sit idly by for potentially years until it's 100% safe.

I'm not trying to say this virus is not a big deal or that we shouldn't take it seriously. It is serious and we should treat it as such. But people shouldn't be surprised when these leagues are willing to trade the risks of having positive cases in exchange for billions of dollars of TV and ad revenue.

Reactions: harv33173

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
And also, the NHL has said that if a player tests positive while the games are being played, that player will go into isolation, and the games will continue.

What if half the team gets it? Does the whole team quarantine for two weeks? What happens to the games against other teams. To me it seems unrealistic that it's just 1-2 players at a time per team that get it followed by another 1-2 players. If they start a full nhl season with probably 1000+ people when including all the staff etc. it seems like a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.

Multiple teams get it and season put on hold how many times before they cancel it? Looks to be a really messy situation. They'll ofc play as many games as they can to make the most money possible but I'm pessimistic about finishing out next year. Unless they ofc say screw it and just play which they may end up doing if allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad