OT: Corona virus thread-7 months later we're still screwed (MOD: NO POLITICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
What if half the team gets it? Does the whole team quarantine for two weeks? What happens to the games against other teams. To me it seems unrealistic that it's just 1-2 players at a time per team that get it followed by another 1-2 players. If they start a full nhl season with probably 1000+ people when including all the staff etc. it seems like a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.

Multiple teams get it and season put on hold how many times before they cancel it? Looks to be a really messy situation. They'll ofc play as many games as they can to make the most money possible but I'm pessimistic about finishing out next year. Unless they ofc say screw it and just play which they may end up doing if allowed.
Well I was just mentioning what Bill Daly I believe, said about this 24 team play in/playoff. Now if multiple players get it at once, I would imagine that would change things for this tournament. I don't know about next season.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
What if half the team gets it? Does the whole team quarantine for two weeks? What happens to the games against other teams. To me it seems unrealistic that it's just 1-2 players at a time per team that get it followed by another 1-2 players. If they start a full nhl season with probably 1000+ people when including all the staff etc. it seems like a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.

Multiple teams get it and season put on hold how many times before they cancel it? Looks to be a really messy situation. They'll ofc play as many games as they can to make the most money possible but I'm pessimistic about finishing out next year. Unless they ofc say screw it and just play which they may end up doing if allowed.
They have to try something though, the virus isn't going away by waiting and as others have already pointed out, who knows when the vaccine is coming and whether it's safe.

I think the chances of contracting the virus will significantly decrease once the teams get the players together in one place (own or hub city) and can control the players movements. I'm not at all surprised that someone like Matthews, a young male in his early 20s (also in his hometown around all his friends), has been infected. Like come on, you think he's just sat at home the past three months?

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
They have to try something though, the virus isn't going away by waiting and as others have already pointed out, who knows when the vaccine is coming and whether it's safe.

I think the chances of contracting the virus will significantly decrease once the teams get the players together in one place (own or hub city) and can control the players movements. I'm not at all surprised that someone like Matthews, a young male in his early 20s (also in his hometown around all his friends), has been infected. Like come on, you think he's just sat at home the past three months?

Ofc they'll try to play, just for business reasons alone. They'll try if there's just a 1% chance of finishing next year. Also the optics would be horrible if they didn't even try.

They may be able to pull of the playoffs this year by controlling everyone involved. But next year? Full year in a bubble? Not going to happen. They can't bubble entire families and all the other involved, the logistics alone would be mind blowing for a nine month season. Again maybe I'm pessimistic but I don't see how they'll be able to finish next year even if they get it started, like I'm sure they will.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Ofc they'll try to play, just for business reasons alone. They'll try if there's just a 1% chance of finishing next year. Also the optics would be horrible if they didn't even try.

They may be able to pull of the playoffs this year by controlling everyone involved. But next year? Full year in a bubble? Not going to happen. They can't bubble entire families and all the other involved, the logistics alone would be mind blowing for a nine month season. Again maybe I'm pessimistic but I don't see how they'll be able to finish next year even if they get it started, like I'm sure they will.
For next season they could try hub cities again with breaks in between, say 20 games at a time? Makes no sense to play games at every arena if there's no crowd anyway, + all the travel costs and risks of contracting the virus at a new city. :dunno:

Reactions: harv33173

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
For next season they could try hub cities again with breaks in between, say 20 games at a time? Makes no sense to play games at every arena if there's no crowd anyway, + all the travel costs and risks of contracting the virus at a new city. :dunno:

I'm not sure players with families would go for that. And if you bring families they would have to be quarantined the whole year in some hotel plus then you add all the maintenance that players/staff needs, it looks really complicated.

The Bucs just brought in their coaching staff and it was like a day and one of the assistants had the Rona. Asymptomatic ofc. And that was a handful of people getting back to work.

I'm no Brokin so really have no idea about any of this medical side but my brain can't reconcile all this stuff and how it would work out.

Reactions: 16Skippy

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I'm not sure players with families would go for that. And if you bring families they would have to be quarantined the whole year in some hotel plus then you add all the maintenance that players/staff needs, it looks really complicated.

The Bucs just brought in their coaching staff and it was like a day and one of the assistants had the Rona. Asymptomatic ofc. And that was a handful of people getting back to work.

I'm no Brokin so really have no idea about any of this medical side but my brain can't reconcile all this stuff and how it would work out.
Ehh, I think the wives understand when the money for potentially 2 years is lost. I don't think hotel life would work either, but IMO continuing the hub city thing makes the most sense considering the circumstances. It sucks for the families, but at the same time everyone else in the world is affected by this crap too on different levels and situations.

Players spend 400-600k per season (I don't recall where I read it, so don't quote me on that) on nutrition, personal trainers, etc. too, young players that haven't earned much and veterans who have wasted their money are screwed soon enough.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Money VS Human Life is trickier than they thought. There isn’t a way to come out of this smelling like roses. It’s not like everybody is ignorant to the fact that money always wins out. They just need to play it out and the people left alive will eventually forget it all and move on. That’s the American Way!

Reactions: IM Clutcm

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
What if old people and risk groups can be kept safely away from the activities, and what if remdesivir and/or hydroxychloroquine actually work well enough when treatment is applied promptly? What if this disease ain’t the super scary one in those circumstances?

I know, I know, conspiracy and blasphemy.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
What if old people and risk groups can be kept safely away from the activities, and what if remdesivir and/or hydroxychloroquine actually work well enough when treatment is applied promptly? What if this disease ain’t the super scary one in those circumstances?

If the majority voted for this course of action I’d be all in. It’s something.

Dnigly13

Jun 21, 2017

Well the medical community has shut down all trials of hydroxychloroquine so we should exclude that from your solution above. They need to get these teams into the hub city and in NHL isolation as fast as possible.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
It is absolutely exploding down here:
lTLDToI.png

With a record 9,585 today. Please wear a mask out there if you have to be near other people.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
It is absolutely exploding down here:
lTLDToI.png

With a record 9,585 today. Please wear a mask out there if you have to be near other people.
Yup. Wear a mask. And as a reminder, you’re primarily wearing the mask to protect others from you, and only secondarily to protect yourself from others. The mask is better at stopping transmission from you than it is at stopping receiving from others.

If almost everyone wore a mask then the transmission multiplier would probably drop below 1, and the disease spread would be limited.

Reactions: 16Skippy

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
You have to shut everything down in Florida. There’s no other way. It’s way worse than what those charts show, so many young asymptomatic people unknowingly spreading it. Next couple weeks are going to be brutal.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I don’t live in Florida but I feel like everyone else in my city stopped wearing masks as soon as the weather became nice :help:

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Not every part of Florida is the same. I know that where I live everyone wears a mask when entering into businesses. Some businesses employees' temperatures are checked before being allowed to start their shift. All the businesses seems to practice social distancing. So I think people are doing as much as you could reasonably hope for in my area.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Not every part of Florida is the same. I know that where I live everyone wears a mask when entering into businesses. Some businesses employees' temperatures are checked before being allowed to start their shift. All the businesses seems to practice social distancing. So I think people are doing as much as you could reasonably hope for in my area.

Here it's about 60/40 wearing masks. All the workers have them on.

I have noticed quite a few folks don't follow the one way markings on the aisles. They did for a while but that's slowly being ignored.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I haven't seen masks in weeks now, and even prior to that it was mostly used by old people (who shouldn't be shopping in the middle of the day anyway). I've only had one instance where some lady in her 40s was breathing down my neck at the cashier line, I asked her if she's lived under a rock for the past month (this happened close to the beginning of the crisis) and has she heard about social distancing, she didn't say anything but stayed at her spot when I moved forward in the line. Other than that, the majority of people have kept their distance and behaved accordingly, though I've noticed that kids (or more like blame parents who can't control them) seem to have this thing for touching everything they can.. which is exactly what you're not supposed to do in times like these.

Zero reported cases in my city during the last 2 weeks, the whole region is one of the least affected ones with 23,8 infected out of a 100k people. For comparison, Uusimaa (Helsinki/Vantaa/Espoo region) is at 313,2, obviously there's a 1.4M difference in residents.

Reactions: Cold Cat

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I haven't seen masks in weeks now, and even prior to that it was mostly used by old people (who shouldn't be shopping in the middle of the day anyway). I've only had one instance where some lady in her 40s was breathing down my neck at the cashier line, I asked her if she's lived under a rock for the past month (this happened close to the beginning of the crisis) and has she heard about social distancing, she didn't say anything but stayed at her spot when I moved forward in the line. Other than that, the majority of people have kept their distance and behaved accordingly, though I've noticed that kids (or more like blame parents who can't control them) seem to have this thing for touching everything they can.. which is exactly what you're not supposed to do in times like these.

Zero reported cases in my city during the last 2 weeks, the whole region is one of the least affected ones with 23,8 infected out of a 100k people. For comparison, Uusimaa (Helsinki/Vantaa/Espoo region) is at 313,2, obviously there's a 1.4M difference in residents.
That lady was probably more shocked that you chided her at all, than the message itself... she’s probably still talking about it to her friends (and embellishing how rude you were LOL).

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
It's about 30/70 here in Southwestern Ontario. Obviously we are included Ontario, but are a rural region of Ontario. There hasn't been a case here and 50+ days. And when there are cases, it is single digits.

I wear a mask because I am immune-compromised.

I was telling my wife today, it's kind of like overdressing for an event. It's a lot easier to take the mask off than it is to find one and put one on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad