OT: Corona virus thread-7 months later we're still screwed (MOD: NO POLITICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I just think Barkov was hurt, he'd randomly miss stretches of play, not take faceoffs, looked like he was stretching out sometimes on the ice (his back?) I feel like he was at 70% all year just dealing with a nagging injury.
Explains a lot. Nobody thinks he sucks all of a sudden or got lazy.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
It's changing every day but

NHL, NHLPA working on 24-team conference-based playoff setup - Sportsnet.ca

The top four seeds (based on points percentage) in the East would be Boston, Tampa Bay, Washington and Philadelphia. Top four in the West would be St. Louis, Colorado, Vegas and Dallas.
They would receive byes through the play-in, but participate in a three-game tournament to get some action. I confess I’m not certain of all the details on if or how it would affect playoff seeding.
The rest of the playoffs would be “bracketed.” That means, in both conferences 5 vs. 12 (winner plays four seed), 6 vs. 11 (winner plays three seed), 7 vs. 10 (winner plays two seed) and 8 vs. 9 (winner plays one seed).
So that would mean an opening round of: Pittsburgh/Montreal; Carolina/Rangers; Islanders/Florida and Toronto/Columbus in the East and Edmonton/Chicago; Nashville/Arizona; Vancouver/Minnesota; Calgary/Winnipeg in the West.
The play-in series would be a best-of-five. The rest of the playoffs would be best-of-seven.

Bottom line is Florida is going to get a chance to make the playoffs despite their bad season. Islanders would be a very favorable matchup as well. Also a Panthers win would set up the first ever all-Florida playoff round.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
It's changing every day but

NHL, NHLPA working on 24-team conference-based playoff setup - Sportsnet.ca

Bottom line is Florida is going to get a chance to make the playoffs despite their bad season. Islanders would be a very favorable matchup as well. Also a Panthers win would set up the first ever all-Florida playoff round.

Why is it a favorable match up? You just know Trotz would set up a trap game and our team can't handle it when they can't get in the zone with speed

Last edited:

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Why is it a favorable match up? You just know Trotz would set up a trap game and our team can't handle it when they can't get in the zone with speed

I agree, I don't really like the matchup either as the Isles can easily frustrate you, but they had 2 wins in previous 10 games going into season stoppage, so hopefully a good sign for us.

At the end of the day, I think everything gets thrown out the window at this point, anyway. It'll basically be like starting a new season.

Anyone know the status of Tippett's injury?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Islanders would be a terrible matchup; they;re the team that we scored the last against per game and have the worst point percentage in the East. Weirdly enough, we do substantially better against the West than the East it looks like...except for the expansion rivalry :( I'd feel more comfortable against Boston tbh.

I think we struggle with the match-up: our team plays fluidly, which is shut down by Trotz's strong system

upload_2020-5-21_13-3-52.png

Reactions: harv33173

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
It's about revenge. If Bob can play like how he's paid, and the team continues to play defense like they did after their "meeting", we'll take it in 4.

Reactions: Boothinator

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
It's about revenge. If Bob can play like how he's paid, and the team continues to play defense like they did after their "meeting", we'll take it in 4.
I mean if Bob goes hot and the rest of the team plays up to potential, we win the cup. But that's true for every other team except for maybe MTL and CHI ...

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Islanders would be a terrible matchup; they;re the team that we scored the last against per game and have the worst point percentage in the East.

Florida dominated them in 2 of the 3 meetings. If they play like they do with Drieger in net they'll be fine, if they play like they do the rest of the time they are finished. But between finishing the season where Florida was 3 points back with a game in hand, or a 5 game play in against a meh team to make the playoffs, I definitely think the latter is a better chance.

OT but someone on reddit brought back this old meme (skip to 1:30 for the Panthers :laugh:)

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Florida dominated them in 2 of the 3 meetings. If they play like they do with Drieger in net they'll be fine, if they play like they do the rest of the time they are finished. But between finishing the season where Florida was 3 points back with a game in hand, or a 5 game play in against a meh team to make the playoffs, I definitely think the latter is a better chance.

OT but someone on reddit brought back this old meme (skip to 1:30 for the Panthers :laugh:)

Kicks them when they are down at the end too LOL. Never get tired of that video though.

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Apparently there has been an underground practice happening the past few weeks. The coaches know about it, but its apparently ran by the players.
Hmm...wonder how they get away with it. I guess if it is player run it is fine.

Question is who is there: I think Barky, Bob, Ekblad, Pysyk, and some others are in the area. Could just be an infinite shootout between Barks and Bob...

I think Acciari, Weegs, Hubs, and Stillman are away

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

Eh, I disagree. That's the Islanders style.

We can win shootouts; we can't seem to get those tight low scoring games.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Eh, I disagree. That's the Islanders style.

We can win shootouts; we can't seem to get those tight low scoring games.
When Driedger has been in net they have played fine. Bob has under-delivered but it's not like he's been 2019 James Reimer, the team has acknowledged themselves that for whatever reason they've played like shit in front of him

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I hate the Islanders matchup.

They're the type of team that we just cannot figure out. We have no players to match up with their trap game. Nobody on our team can grind it our and get through it. Our roster is full of perimeter guys that have shown time and time again that they are not willing to go into the corners and do the dirty work to win a hockey game.

The Isles and Trotz play a trap game because they can't score more than 2 goals. Add in the fact that Greiss absolutely owns us and we are losing this series as well.

Just f***ing once I'd like to approach a playoffs without having to face one of NJ or the NYI.

This is where Coach Q and Bob need to show their value, I just don't think we have the personnel up front to get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad