Player Discussion Corey Schueneman

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
Harris has played RD in the NCAA often. a third pairing of Schueneman Harris to finish the year could be interesting.......assuming theyd be willing to sit Wideman.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Harris has played RD in the NCAA often. a third pairing of Schueneman Harris to finish the year could be interesting.......assuming theyd be willing to sit Wideman.
Wideman is having a decent comeback season and all but I sure wouldn't put his happiness before developing one of our top prospects. He can go sit in the press box and be happy he's in the NHL.

Reactions: HankyZetts

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Barron will also get his shot.

It's going to be interesting to see how close Hartis and Barron are tight now, and then how close Harris, Barron, Norlinder, and Guhle are at camp in September.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If I didn't know his track record to this point...just looking at him play, i'd thought this guy was a legit prospect.

Perhaps a late bloomer. He's very poised with the puck and is really good at absorbing hits, rolling and moving the puck forward.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If I didn't know his track record to this point...just looking at him play, i'd thought this guy was a legit prospect.

Perhaps a late bloomer. He's very poised with the puck and is really good at absorbing hits, rolling and moving the puck forward.

He is good with the puck. It's without the puck that he still has to pass tests, imo. I've seen him lose position in front of the net and in the corners vis a vis big forwards that has resulted in goals against.

Hopefully he can be effective enough in those areas.

Reactions: Paddyjack and 417

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Schueneman done really well. Looks like he has long career ahead of him. Never heard of him until this season. Just 2 years ago he was in ECHL. A 27 year old career minor leaguer. Don't know if this has ever happened before.

The habs have a guy behind the bench who went the echl route and had a pretty good nhl career.

It's rare, but you can always hope. I think the proof will be in the pudding when we see how he looks next year.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The habs have a guy behind the bench who went the echl route and had a pretty good nhl career.

It's rare, but you can always hope. I think the proof will be in the pudding when we see how he looks next year.
If Schueneman finish season looking good?? Should sign him to Hagel type contract. Get 2 decent years out of him flip him for big return.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If Schueneman finish season looking good?? Should sign him to Hagel type contract. Get 2 decent years out of him flip him for big return.

I think he's a good dman, so far bottom pair. He still has to prove he can handle big forwards in front of the net and in the corners.

And, with Harris and Norlinder potentially along the way, I wonder how many undersized dmen we can have. He'll at least be a good stop gap for one or both of them, and may be a good cheap option for the bottom pair long term if he ends up being better than them.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think he's a good dman, so far bottom pair. He still has to prove he can handle big forwards in front of the net and in the corners.

And, with Harris and Norlinder potentially along the way, I wonder how many undersized dmen we can have. He'll at least be a good stop gap for one or both of them, and may be a good cheap option for the bottom pair.
They might not live up to expectations though too

Reactions: 26Mats

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Barron will also get his shot.

It's going to be interesting to see how close Hartis and Barron are tight now, and then how close Harris, Barron, Norlinder, and Guhle are at camp in September.
I'd hope that all of them would be in the AHL or SHL next year, at least to start. If they absolutely dominate, fine, promote them. Harris will probably have to adapt to the pro game, Barron may be close but there is no rush, Norlinder needs to get healthy, and it can't hurt Guhle to play a year or two in the AHL. I hope they are all capable of playing in the NHL, but I expect all of them will be better if they play next year at a lower level, though MSL will probably do better with rookies than any other recent habs coach. "Recent" going back to at least 2009. I really can't remember how Gainey and Carbonneau worked with younger guys.

Subban is one of the few players who fairly obviously didn't need time in the AHL but still spent a full year there and it didn't hurt his game. No harm in keeping guys in the minors a bit longer as long as the organization explains to them that the goal is to get them to reach their ceilings.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I'd hope that all of them would be in the AHL or SHL next year, at least to start. If they absolutely dominate, fine, promote them. Harris will probably have to adapt to the pro game, Barron may be close but there is no rush, Norlinder needs to get healthy, and it can't hurt Guhle to play a year or two in the AHL. I hope they are all capable of playing in the NHL, but I expect all of them will be better if they play next year at a lower level, though MSL will probably do better with rookies than any other recent habs coach. "Recent" going back to at least 2009. I really can't remember how Gainey and Carbonneau worked with younger guys.

Subban is one of the few players who fairly obviously didn't need time in the AHL but still spent a full year there and it didn't hurt his game. No harm in keeping guys in the minors a bit longer as long as the organization explains to them that the goal is to get them to reach their ceilings.
I think it's obvious Guhle could play in the NHL next year, the question I have is, do we want him to start there or get 20+ minutes a night in Laval, in all situations.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

True, and even if they look ready in camp, it doesn't mean they are ready. We saw this with Cale Fleury when he made the team out of camp, but then struggled.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad