Player Discussion Corey Schueneman

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
The goal last night should help boost his confidence but boy did he look nervous and uncomfortable out there guess it comes with time but really out of position most if the night.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He's kinda iffy on the defensive side right now but he's learning and getting better. Love how he handles the puck and makes decisions with puck. Definitely penciled in as 3rd LD next season based on play.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Glad to see him on the PP, it's incredible the difference between MSL hockey and all the old dinosaurs or mumblers we've had before. You play well, you get icetime and special units time, doesn't matter if you're a rookie or not.

And as a result, he's got an assist on a great shot.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
He's most likely just another Wideman in the making but doesn't look out of place at all in his role which is good to see.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Don’t know what to do when I see a Habs D move laterally at the blue line to avoid drilling the defender in the shin pads, Petry used to do it but has since pretty much stopped.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I'd sign offer him 3 years / $3.75M right now. One way deal. Not much risk for us, and he's basically getting a $900,000K raise since in the minors he was only making $175,000.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Schueneman done really well. Looks like he has long career ahead of him. Never heard of him until this season. Just 2 years ago he was in ECHL. A 27 year old career minor leaguer. Don't know if this has ever happened before.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Schueneman done really well. Looks like he has long career ahead of him. Never heard of him until this season. Just 2 years ago he was in ECHL. A 27 year old career minor leaguer. Don't know if this has ever happened before.
Of course not! he's 26 now.:doh:

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Pretty good for an undrafted free agent. Calgary had him briefly a couple years ago. He does not look out of place at all as a depth NHL guy.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
To be fair, it looks like the ECHL was a conditioning stint.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
I just watched the recap from yesterday's game on Youtube and I swear this guy was in all the clips they picked, as if he was involved in every single positive play from the habs yesterday.

Just from highlights he seems to make very good quick decisions with the puck. That generally is one of the most important and underrated skill for a dman.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
He seems to consistently hit about 0.5 ppg in every league he’s played in. Would be cool to see him carry that trend to the NHL

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
He seems to consistently hit about 0.5 ppg in every league he’s played in. Would be cool to see him carry that trend to the NHL

I've also thought about that. It's an interesting trend for sure. Seems like he's prioritizing playing good defense over points. Never overcomits offensively but gets his fair share of point nonetheless.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I just watched the recap from yesterday's game on Youtube and I swear this guy was in all the clips they picked, as if he was involved in every single positive play from the habs yesterday.

Just from highlights he seems to make very good quick decisions with the puck. That generally is one of the most important and underrated skill for a dman.

Another important skill for a Dman is to win battles in the corner and win positioning in front of the net.

We'll see if he's able to do those things.

But I really like his play with the puck.

Last edited:

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
This guy won me over. The way he handle the pressure/forechek is a thing of beauty. He's slippery and knows how to use every inch of his body to protect the puck. Sure he has the occasional brainfart but there is no pressure in his game, he's just smooth sailing it right now

Reactions: NewDef

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Yes. He's great with the puck.

What a lo so remains to be seen is if he can handle forwards physically in front of the bet and in the corners. I think that will determine his effectiveness as an NHL D.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
He's also able to successfully deliver a quick and easy pass. Something that is a complete impossibility for Petry, for example.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Yes. He's great with the puck.

What a lo so remains to be seen is if he can handle forwards physically in front of the bet and in the corners. I think that will determine his effectiveness as an NHL D.
I've watched him since he started in Laval. He's pretty good positional but he's not physical. I've never seen him be that effective physically in front of the net. He's not that big. He plays more of a smart, positional sound game. Belpidio (in Laval) is similar offensively and skating wise, but much more physical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad