Player Discussion Corey Schueneman

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Tsn690 were speculating we may not move Kulak, if the plan is to move Chiarot, Petry, and Edmundson by TDL 2023.

They may not move anybody. Buyer's market so far, lots of available players, not much cap space, not much movement.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They may not move anybody. Buyer's market so far, lots of available players, not much cap space, not much movement.

Chiarot will be moved this year. Petry and Edmundson most probably next year.

I suppose if we continue going on a tear under MSL they may want to keep the team together for next year, especially if the return for Chiarot is really bad. But I think he'll be moved. We can always retain salary and or take back salary in a deal.

Pretty much for sure slow vets Chiarot and Perreault are dealt, Perreault even if for peanuts.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Chiarot will be moved this year. Petry and Edmundson most probably next year.

I suppose if we continue going on a tear under MSL they may want to keep the team together for next year, especially if the return for Chiarot is really bad. But I think he'll be moved. We can always retain salary and or take back salary in a deal.

Pretty much for sure slow vets Chiarot and Perreault are dealt, Perreault even if for peanuts.

For sure if they get a reasonable offer. I just hope they don't have to take a lowball offer. Chiarot should be in demand, and more so as the trade deadline gets closer and the cap hit drops.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
For sure if they get a reasonable offer. I just hope they don't have to take a lowball offer. Chiarot should be in demand, and more so as the trade deadline gets closer and the cap hit drops.

And we can retain and take back contracts, so salary shouldn't be an issue.

The talking heads like Dreger are saying many teams love Ben Chiarot. So it should work out. But Hughes seems ready to take a 1st, so that would indicate no one's offered one yet...

at any rate, I'll just wait until the deadline. no point in worrying what each GM around the league is holding in their hand. The chips will go down and the hands will be revealed by the TDL...

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
And we can retain and take back contracts, so salary shouldn't be an issue.

The talking heads like Dreger are saying many teams love Ben Chiarot. So it should work out. But Hughes seems ready to take a 1st, so that would indicate no one's offered one yet...

at any rate, I'll just wait until the deadline. no point in worrying what each GM around the league is holding in their hand. The chips will go down and the hands will be revealed by the TDL...

I've seen some comments that it's a buyer's market. If they haven't traded him it's because they haven't had an offer they want. Hughes made it clear that if they get an offer they like they'll make the deal. It's possible they are just waiting for the deadline to lower cap hits, though.

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
This guy is really under the radar on this board.
I'm excited to see this guy play tonight and hope he sticks around... much better than Wideman or Clague.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Tsn690 were speculating we may not move Kulak, if the plan is to move Chiarot, Petry, and Edmundson by TDL 2023.
We could do worse than Kulak for the cap hit to be honest. I'd be comfortable with him staying, unless a GM out there is even more committed to the Kulak hype train in terms of a potential payment.....

Oh and on topic, Schuneman is quietly being solid and is solidifying a 3rd pairing spot on a combination of merit and lack of competition.

Reactions: NewDef

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
much better than Wideman or Clague.

that's not saying much though. :laugh:

Pretty sure he's still under contract with the Habs next year.

RFA

We could do worse than Kulak for the cap hit to be honest. I'd be comfortable with him staying, unless a GM out there is even more committed to the Kulak hype train in terms of a potential payment.....

Oh and on topic, Schuneman is quietly being solid and is solidifying a 3rd pairing spot on a combination of merit and lack of competition.

I would only want Kulak back if the plan is to tank. He's way too inconsistent imo.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I'm also ok with Kulak. He's got good size and speed, if not the most adept with the puck at times. But if he's playing with a solid partner, that's not much of an issue.

I have Schuneman as part of my 6 D moving forward. I would like to trade all of Chiarot, Eddie, and Petry (and Savard) and see Schuneman as being a solid dman to fill an open spot.

Reactions: Walrus26

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
he'll be 27 before next season starts so not sure how much untapped potential there is
Could definitely have a solid 6-7 year career though. Without the pandemic he could have proved himself a lot quicker.

Reactions: Doc5

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Schueneman will be 27 this year and has played lots of hockey in various leagues. Definitely a more experienced NHL "rookie" player.
Seems he understand the game reaaaly well due to experience and keeps his cool under pressure, makes the right decisions.

They say good def develop longer, i'd take the 6-7 reliable D he can be in a reset year.

Finding the late bloomers, the undrafted projects, the 7th round small studs, etc., a team has to take a few shots at those to sometime find a legit NHLer. It's part of the game and he who not try not win... i like Schueneman, just solid play in the right chair.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Shoe has played extremely well for us given how long the odds were against him ever making it into the NHL and succeeding to start the year.

He has such poise, such calmness out there as a rookie defenseman. I got used to his high level of play after a couple of games, but at first Schueneman would regularly startle me, make me do double-takes, with his quality, efficient play in all three zones given how unused I am to our AHL call-ups playing so well and responding to pressure so seamlessly.

Normally you get someone from the AHL to fill-in when injuries hit, they come up feeling the pressure and trying their best but almost always ultimately failing to accomplish much because of nervousness or lacking tools. Schueneman though? He gets put into the lineup with barely a moment's notice, plays incredibly steadily, makes high-IQ plays without missing a beat, looks GRRR-EAT in a smaller role on the bottom-pairing and the coach notices so he plays more, and he is still pretty freaking good even with more minutes.

Seriously, I think we may have gotten a very solid bottom-pairing defenseman for years to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad