News Article: Corey Pronmans: "Farm system rankings" Habs at 6. -The Athletic

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Anyone agree with this? Sorry its in french, its the list of Guillaume Lefrancois from Lapresse for MTL top10 prospects.

Le palmarès des espoirs du Canadien - La Presse+

Good writing overall but at 9th for Olofsson, he said that his offensive potentiel is really limited and don't expect an homerun pick here.
I kinda of disagree about his offensive upside but let's see what you guys think about this.

not bad, no big issues with it. I would have Primeau a little lower cause I think he's going to have a tough time repeating those numbers but we'll see. I don't think Evans is a top 10 for me but likely not too far out although I like him more then most. Agree with his comments on Olofsson so far but need to see more of him.

If I'm ranking Scherbak and Juulsen, I would go with Scherbak higher due to upside vs safety. Not sure I'd have Lindgren in the top 10 but it's close.

Evans ahead of Olofsson? I don’t think so but who knows, I guess.

I don't think so either but I don't think they are that far apart, if Evans didn't have speed/skating/strength issues it would be much closer but until I see how he does in the AHL he's got to be lower then Olofsson. Just think it could be closer then some will like since one was a 7th round pick and played in the NCAA while the other is a new 2nd round pick. If Olofsson breaks out in the SHL this year that will be very telling or even next year like Lars Eller did.

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
Not knowing much of the new prospects but Scherbak seems to be underrated on that list, his offensive upside should have him higher.

Hoping that he is given a real chance to succeed in a top 9 role with hopefully some power play time. It might take the sting off losing Galchenyuks goals if Scherbak could pick up that slack a little..

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
not bad, no big issues with it. I would have Primeau a little lower cause I think he's going to have a tough time repeating those numbers but we'll see. I don't think Evans is a top 10 for me but likely not too far out although I like him more then most. Agree with his comments on Olofsson so far but need to see more of him.

If I'm ranking Scherbak and Juulsen, I would go with Scherbak higher due to upside vs safety. Not sure I'd have Lindgren in the top 10 but it's close.

I don't think so either but I don't think they are that far apart, if Evans didn't have speed/skating/strength issues it would be much closer but until I see how he does in the AHL he's got to be lower then Olofsson. Just think it could be closer then some will like since one was a 7th round pick and played in the NCAA while the other is a new 2nd round pick. If Olofsson breaks out in the SHL this year that will be very telling or even next year like Lars Eller did.

That’s why they’re prospects. You just never know who will develop and who won’t.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not knowing much of the new prospects but Scherbak seems to be underrated on that list, his offensive upside should have him higher.

Hoping that he is given a real chance to succeed in a top 9 role with hopefully some power play time. It might take the sting off losing Galchenyuks goals if Scherbak could pick up that slack a little..
I agree. Scherback is one of the two prospect we have that has pretty sure top 6 upside, he's a winger, and he's russian and he's not big so people are going to underrate him, but he's going to be a top 6 winger for sure.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I agree. Scherback is one of the two prospect we have that has pretty sure top 6 upside, he's a winger, and he's russian and he's not big so people are going to underrate him, but he's going to be a top 6 winger for sure.

How is he not big?

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
He's 6'2, I think that qualifies as pretty big ;)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not the biggest fan of Suzuki, but we gotta be shooting up.

Kotkaniemi
Suzuki
Poehling
Ylonen
Juulsen
Scherbak
Fonstad
Olofsson
Hillis
Brook
Fleury

Is better than STL by a bit and Id dare say Vancouver, but Im lower on them than most.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
And with Suzuki?

;-)

The difference between being ranked 10th, 15th or 20th is likely not that far apart depending on what you look for and value in prospects. I don't think the Habs have a very good farm system, I liked Suzuki a lot when watching McNiven so that surely moves us up a few spots or more as he's a high end prospect imo.

Reactions: HBDay

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

This we agree on. I always like Scherbak but was annoyed by his injuries. His development was affected by injuries but he really started to show potential last season. The kid has skills and good vision for a winger

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The difference between being ranked 10th, 15th or 20th is likely not that far apart depending on what you look for and value in prospects. I don't think the Habs have a very good farm system, I liked Suzuki a lot when watching McNiven so that surely moves us up a few spots or more as he's a high end prospect imo.
Compare it league-wide and then you'll start to realize the Habs prospects are really good and really deep.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not the biggest fan of Suzuki, but we gotta be shooting up.

Kotkaniemi
Suzuki
Poehling
Ylonen
Juulsen
Scherbak
Fonstad
Olofsson
Hillis
Brook
Fleury

Is better than STL by a bit and Id dare say Vancouver, but Im lower on them than most.

Our strength is depth. Don't forget Mete. There is going to be other surprises like Mete too. McShane looks good as well! I have not given up on Evans, Vejdemo, Bitten, Ikonen, DLR, Addison just yet either. It's too early with them but they can be NHL players. Addision impressed so much last year he got a Habs camp invite. Getting injured derailed his pro year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
maybe, but I'm not a big fan of the draft we just had so clearly I don't agree that it's really good. Deep yes.
I mean, be "Not a fan" all you want, but prospect value is prospect value, through uncertainty theres a certain value attributed to each group of prospects, wether that'd be elite, high end, or what ever. We have these guys, and even if you keep saying we don't have good players, it's not true. Or even if you like other players over ours, fact is, only the Blues have a top end as strong as we have and only the Flyers have a prospect pool deeper than us. List them out and tell me thats not a good pool.

We basically added in two to three blue chip prospects in two months, there's no way were not top ten.

Bad pool ? LWOS have us as the only team with SEVEN prospect in the top 100.
Bad pool ? We just drafted the 3/5th best player in the last draft.
Bad pool ? We just added 19 picks in the last 24 months. I think thats 1st or 2nd in the league in quantity.
Bad pool ? We have a total of FIVE first rounders still in our prospect pool, highest in the NHL.
Bad pool ? We have eighttop 60 picks in the last two years, most likely top in the league too.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I mean, be "Not a fan" all you want, but prospect value is prospect value, through uncertainty theres a certain value attributed to each group of prospects, wether that'd be elite, high end, or what ever. We have these guys, and even if you keep saying we don't have good players, it's not true. Or even if you like other players over ours, fact is, only the Blues have a top end as strong as we have and only the Flyers have a prospect pool deeper than us. List them out and tell me thats not a good pool.

We basically added in two to three blue chip prospects in two months, there's no way were not top ten.

Bad pool ? We just added 19 picks in the last 24 months. I think thats 1st or 2nd in the league in quantity.
Bad pool ? We have a total of FIVE first rounders still in our prospect pool, highest in the NHL.
Bad pool ? We have eighttop 60 picks in the last two years, most likely top in the league too.

people tend to overrate prospect value from the most recent draft and I never said bad pool, I had them more middle of the pack before the trade. I just don't see much to like due to lack of high end talent.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Isn't that a bad sign? If your 1st round picks are staying in your pool and not graduating it's not good.

That said I can't see anyone seriously claiming we don't have a good pool now.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
people tend to overrate prospect value from the most recent draft and I never said bad pool, I had them more middle of the pack before the trade. I just don't see much to like due to lack of high end talent.
Lacking high end talent ?
How many teams you can name that have a better top two than Kotkaniemi/Suzuki ?
How many teams can you name that have a better top three than Kotkaniemi/Suzuki/Poehling ?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Isn't that a bad sign? If your 1st round picks are staying in your pool and not graduating it's not good.

That said I can't see anyone seriously claiming we don't have a good pool now.
Not every player develop the same, it's not like Scherback or Juulsen are tracking bad, theyve just been derailed by injuries, theyre both looking like really solid NHLers.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Not every player develop the same, it's not like Scherback or Juulsen are tracking bad, theyve just been derailed by injuries, theyre both looking like really solid NHLers.

Sherbak I would say is tracking bad, as is McCarron (Not sure if he was included or not).

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I would say with Suzuki that the Habs are now legitimately 6th in the NHL. Still have questions on the wings and at LD.

Reactions: Mrb1p

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Lacking high end talent ?
How many teams you can name that have a better top two than Kotkaniemi/Suzuki ?
How many teams can you name that have a better top three than Kotkaniemi/Suzuki/Poehling ?

before the trade, so now they have 2 high end prospects. We are slowly getting there. The question now is how good will Kotka be, a 80 pt player, a 70 pt player, a 60 pt player? We'll have to wait and see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad