Corey Pronman Reviews the 2017 Draft

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
What do you suggest?

I just see people complaining about everything too much. Everyone's expectations are unreasonable. People are expecting every pick to be a home run, and the speak like anything that isn't is a strike out. Maybe its just my frustration at the lack of reasonable perspective.

I mean I understand discussion, and disappointment. Zadina was high enough to be slightly disappointing. But I do not think anyone else is. Expecting a Schiefele at #9 would be a home run, it shouldn't be an expectation.
Currently 2017 draft sucks pretty big. I don't see anyone we could have picked that anyone would have been happy with.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I just see people complaining about everything too much. Everyone's expectations are unreasonable. People are expecting every pick to be a home run, and the speak like anything that isn't is a strike out. Maybe its just my frustration at the lack of reasonable perspective.

I mean I understand discussion, and disappointment. Zadina was high enough to be slightly disappointing. But I do not think anyone else is. Expecting a Schiefele at #9 would be a home run, it shouldn't be an expectation.
Currently 2017 draft sucks pretty big. I don't see anyone we could have picked that anyone would have been happy with.

Well, when you’re a bad team and don’t have any top picks to show for it, people are going to understandably be frustrated.

It’s too bad the league implemented a trash lottery system at exactly the time we got bad. With the old system we would likely be looking at a guarantee of Lafreniere/Byfield this year. That would move the needle of this team in a big way.

Hopefully they make some changes in the next CBA, I don’t hink this current system is very viable.

Reactions: Bench and BinCookin

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Well, when you’re a bad team and don’t have any top picks to show for it, people are going to understandably be frustrated.

It’s too bad the league implemented a trash lottery system at exactly the time we got bad. With the old system we would likely be looking at a guarantee of Lafreniere/Byfield this year. That would move the needle of this team in a big way.

Hopefully they make some changes in the next CBA, I don’t hink this current system is very viable.

I think what it means is that tanking is no longer a sure fire move to rebuild. 10 years ago it was a smart move. Sadly we are where we are not by choice, but by circumstance. I am hopeful Yzerman will keep up the solid work of trying to find us more talent with the crap we already have :P

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
My expectation for Rasmussen is to be near a Mats Sundin level by his mid 20's. I realize that this is purely hopeful speculation and forecasting on my part, so I would offer it in a discussion as an anecdotal opinion of mine, not a clear cut fact. Likewise, a good AHL season, and a good start in the NHL is well enough reason to pick out Necas and have an ultimate faith in him. But you also have to admit to the anecdotal properties of that claim, due to the unpredictable nature of developments in people, athletes and sport over the course of the 2 decades that these players careers will be playing out across.

you're literally living in a different reality than most of us then

like....that's actually the equivalent of someone saying Veleno is the next Crosby both in terms of how out there it is as an opinion and how likely it is to happen

Rasmussen is in his D+3 right now when Sundin was in his D+3 he was 11th in the NHL in points

last year Rasmussen played 62 games and was 426th in the league in scoring....in his D+2 Sundin played 80 games and was 40th

there's hopeful speculation and then there's downright fantasy

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think what it means is that tanking is no longer a sure fire move to rebuild. 10 years ago it was a smart move. Sadly we are where we are not by choice, but by circumstance. I am hopeful Yzerman will keep up the solid work of trying to find us more talent with the crap we already have :P

I think it means that the lottery odds will eventually be changed because the pendulum has swung too far to the extreme. Owners with organically bad teams (like the Wings) that get stuck at the bottom of the standings will eventually get frustrated with not landing the top draft talent necessary to rebuild their teams.

I agree though with your general premise that people have unreasonable expectations of most of our draft picks. Mark my words that if we land Byfield for Lafreniere people will start bitching that they aren't generational talents.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
you're literally living in a different reality than most of us then

like....that's actually the equivalent of someone saying Veleno is the next Crosby both in terms of how out there it is as an opinion and how likely it is to happen

Rasmussen is in his D+3 right now when Sundin was in his D+3 he was 11th in the NHL in points

last year Rasmussen played 62 games and was 426th in the league in scoring....in his D+2 Sundin played 80 games and was 40th

there's hopeful speculation and then there's downright fantasy

You're literally misinterpreting my analysis in a hyperbolic fashion just to grandstand.

Did you miss the part where I referenced that I don't expect him to be there until his mid 20's? Did you miss the part where I said "near", and not "the next"?

Have you never seen somebody make player comp before? You do realize it can be a purely play style comparison, and production can be secondary or not all factored in? Kind of like you could say Crosby and Veleno have similar body postures, and similar ambidextrous puck skills, and still not expect Veleno to ever break 55 pts.

Even with your extreme interpretation of what a player comp is, all that I would be saying in that case is that my hopeful expectation for a lottery pick is to settle in near the 70 pt mark in his prime? That's not that egregious even though I never went as far as to say that to begin with. Try again imo

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
A) Players don't stop developing physically until 25-27.

B) In that time, players experience different rates of development at different times. So just because theoretically one is better at 19, but the other is better at 20, it doesn't follow that the gap between them will continue to grow at that point.
I feel like this is a sneaky argument. Players don't stop physically developing until then, this is true. But physical development is generally not the primary determinant of a scoring line player's upside. Physical development will have relatively little to do with the fact that Necas is more skilled than Rasmussen. In fact, because of that, focusing on physical development favors Rasmussen because that's the way he has to play. That's why it's sneaky. Skill development drops off long before that. Rasmussen doesn't have a lot of time to add skill, which means bridging that gap becomes more unlikely every year.

My expectation for Rasmussen is to be near a Mats Sundin level by his mid 20's. I realize that this is purely hopeful speculation and forecasting on my part, so I would offer it in a discussion as an anecdotal opinion of mine, not a clear cut fact. Likewise, a good AHL season, and a good start in the NHL is well enough reason to pick out Necas and have an ultimate faith in him. But you also have to admit to the anecdotal properties of that claim, due to the unpredictable nature of developments in people, athletes and sport over the course of the 2 decades that these players careers will be playing out across.
It's true, you cannot construct an airtight deductive argument for a player's upside; that would be absurd. But there are still a number of facts of the matter that you can point to, a trail of evidence, and you can use that to construct a strong inductive argument. We shouldn't simply say that your belief that Rasmussen will become Mats Sundin and my opinion that Rasmussen will become a pink unicorn are on equal standing. Your belief is justified by, amongst other things, a set of basic facts: Rasmussen plays hockey, was a high draft pick, etc. But that opens the door for arguments with better, more reliable, or more plausible sets of facts. That's how an argument like this can proceed.

Now, it's true that judging who has the more plausible set of facts can be tricky, but as long as you're mostly working from well-defined statistical arguments or things that are accepted as common knowledge, there shouldn't be a real problem there. And, again, such a judgment would never be deductively foolproof and guaranteed. The set of facts could reveal themselves to be unreliable, or your conclusion could end up false for unforseen reasons. But the argument was still justified given the available evidence at the time, so there's nothing to be ashamed of. Lack of certainty doesn't mean we have to treat an argument like nothing more than an anecdote.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I feel like this is a sneaky argument. Players don't stop physically developing until then, this is true. But physical development is generally not the primary determinant of a scoring line player's upside. Physical development will have relatively little to do with the fact that Necas is more skilled than Rasmussen. In fact, because of that, focusing on physical development favors Rasmussen because that's the way he has to play. That's why it's sneaky. Skill development drops off long before that. Rasmussen doesn't have a lot of time to add skill, which means bridging that gap becomes more unlikely every year.

Please, I'm the one arguing for an open ended conversation, and you're saying I'm being evasive? Maybe I should be more evasive if you are going to cherry pick my non arguments (Rasmussen will become Sundin- show me where I said that, and tell me how I'm being more sneaky than you?)

Physical development includes skills anyways, which is what I meant in the first place.

Rasmussens skating is primed to take big leaps over the course of his development for example. Along with that, puck protection, and experiential vision will help him translate his junior success. And there are a multitude of "skills" that are only going to be developed through experience, and some of them, like vision, awareness, positioning, hand eye coordination, reading a goalie, being familiar with teammates and opponents, off-ice preperation, don't really have a time constrained cap on them. I mean there are so many ways for professional athletes to improve their production, abilities, etc.

It's a pretty tricky argument to make, that skills development isn't complete at 17,18,19 making the draft an inexact science, yet by around 20 all that's left to do is add some weight and experience. That fits your argument fine, but it doesn't make sense logically or historically. I don't mean to strawman you here, but I feel like that has been essentially your response to my point about rates of development.

At this point I feel like your argument is hinging on conflating "attributes" with "production/effectiveness". A high numerical attribute for stickhandling, passing and speed, doesn't necessarily translate into an effective hockey player. There are countless examples. Likewise Mats Sundin is a good example of a player who used vision, positioning, strength and hockey sense to overcome his relatively modest speed and stickhandling compared to his pier group.

It's true, you cannot construct an airtight deductive argument for a player's upside; that would be absurd. But there are still a number of facts of the matter that you can point to, a trail of evidence, and you can use that to construct a strong inductive argument. We shouldn't simply say that your belief that Rasmussen will become Mats Sundin and my opinion that Rasmussen will become a pink unicorn are on equal standing. Your belief is justified by, amongst other things, a set of basic facts: Rasmussen plays hockey, was a high draft pick, etc. But that opens the door for arguments with better, more reliable, or more plausible sets of facts. That's how an argument like this can proceed.

Right, and so far the only fact you have offered is 16 pts. The argument hasn't proceeded, because when I asked you to elaborate, you really didn't. Instead of elaborating on your impressions of Rasmussen and Necas, we are here elaborating on strawmen and basic discourse.

Now, it's true that judging who has the more plausible set of facts can be tricky, but as long as you're mostly working from well-defined statistical arguments or things that are accepted as common knowledge, there shouldn't be a real problem there. And, again, such a judgment would never be deductively foolproof and guaranteed. The set of facts could reveal themselves to be unreliable, or your conclusion could end up false for unforseen reasons. But the argument was still justified given the available evidence at the time, so there's nothing to be ashamed of. Lack of certainty doesn't mean we have to treat an argument like nothing more than an anecdote.

You haven't made an argument though. You stated a premise/hypothesis/conclusion, call it what you want, and failed to elaborate on the reasons that you are drawing those conclusions, beyond a couple flimsy numbers and a knee jerk non response. Your statistical arguments are not well defined, because they are barren of context, mitigating factors, and most importantly a valuable sample size.

If you want your argument to be treated like more than an anecdote, phrasing one sentence in a deterministic way, basing it on a flawed logic (Necas beat Rasmussen to 16 NHL pts this year, therefore...) and then refusing to elaborate, doesn't cut it.

I understand that most posts here are either an echo chamber, or very combative. I'm not really interested in either of those dynamics. I'm not looking for you to make an airtight argument, or write up a pro scouting report. I'm not even necessarily disagreeing with the gist of your conclusion. But I don't feel like I know much more about Rasmussen or Necas for engaging in this conversation yet, other than Necas has 16 pts and some nice attributes.

And I do think there is a sneaky convenience to drawing up strongly worded statements and conclusions, that can't be proven false for years and years, especially when you are reluctant to delve into just how variable/volatile things get as they play out over multiple years as proven by history. That was my point and I don't feel it has been refuted. Some of the conviction people have when talking about prospects does not fall in line with how volatile sporting environments are, historically speaking.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
It's being completely honest with the situation. He had a full year to soak up the NHL experience, see how NHLers train, handle their personal lives, etc. And the next year when it was time to show he had taken that stuff and applied it, he didn't and got sent to the AHL.

And if he hadn't got injured he'd have been first call up given his form in the AHL. To start the season the wings had 6 fit centers, and they want him to be center. What would be the point of giving him 4th line NHL minutes this season? He's not going to be ahead of Larkin. They'd just signed Flip. Nielsen is on a chunk of cash, and you've already got Glenny, Ehn and at the time DLR fighting it out for center spots. Unless he was going to tear it up and be the 2nd best center on the team, there was just no point having him up

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Cody Glass is 6'2 and skates like the wind. And he dominated the WHL.
I just don't buy the idea that Rasmussen. because he's bigger, couldn't have benefitted by playing 20 minutes a night in the WHL, improving on elementary things that are way below NHL level - like skating with the puck, passing the puck, etc.

It was bizarre that a team that's played the overripe card for years forced this guy to play way over his head all year.

Ras's latter season WHL games and playoffs were exceptional. 33 points in 14 playoff games for a non powerhouse team is extraordinary. Once his wrist healed in the WHL he was dominant.
Or to put it differently, Ras got 20 more points than glass in 2 more playoff games on a team of similar ability, having been 2PPG ish for his last 2 months of reg season play.

Obviously the hope at the time was that he'd be more NHL ready than he was, encouraged by a good pre-season

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
For the record, I don't expect Rasmussen to be a star. I expect him to be an offensively better Martin Hanzal if he stays fit. A 2nd C on a bad team or 3rd C on a great team, who could also be a 2nd line wing, who is a special teams beast.
It might not be what we hope for on a #9 pick, but if we can find a center as good as or better than Larkin, then we have the makings of an excellent top 9 selection.

Bert/Larkin/Mantha
AA/?/Fabbri
Ras/Veleno/Zadina

Any config of those 9 players that finds chemistry looks pretty good, and if say Berggren, Mastro or Soderblom amount to anything, we suddenly have trade pieces as well. And thats before you get to FA.

Certainly this years draft will in all likelihood yield us a top 6 forward at absolute worst, unless very strange things happen. If that player happens to become Elite, then suddenly we are sorted up front (barring injuries) for a few years to come.

Sieder & McIsaac promise a lot on D, so then we need a G and one or two of Yzerman's roullette trades to pan out and the situation looks a lot rosier in 2-3 years.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
For the record, I don't expect Rasmussen to be a star. I expect him to be an offensively better Martin Hanzal if he stays fit. A 2nd C on a bad team or 3rd C on a great team, who could also be a 2nd line wing, who is a special teams beast.

Bert/Larkin/Mantha
AA/ ??? /Fabbri
Veleno/Ras/Zadina

That really screams Quinton Byfield from the draft in the middle

But if we get a winger, I'm sure Yzerman will pull the center from somewhere.

Great analyze about Rasmussen. I expect exactly same.

Reactions: Frk It
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
This is getting too long to quote
You've actually misunderstood me. The point of my last post was not to argue some case about Necas so much as it was to argue that there can be a case about Necas. I took you to be saying that since we can't predict how player development will proceed, we cannot compare any two players who have not finished their development—because we don't know what has yet to happen. You called them anecdotes, no doubt referring to their relative uselessness in scientific situations. My point was that we can compare players. There are facts of the matter about players that differ in material and countable ways, and we can compare those to draw provisional, but useful, conclusions about those players.

(The Sundin point was meant to illustrate that your better-grounded belief was clearly superior to my crazy one, that Rasmussen will become a pink unicorn. Facts matter. If these are all just anecdotes, the two are equivalent in value. Which is absurd.)

Anyway, back to Rasmussen. I have no real interest in debating Rasmussen's skating, as I think it's pretty good. It's a strength of his. The trouble is that I don't think Rasmussen will develop his hands, stickhandling, shot, or offensive creativity. (I think his hockey IQ is pretty solid.) For me, and I don't think I'm alone on this one, I value skilled players in my top six many times over "role-player" type guys riding shotgun a la Holmstrom or Abdelkader. Unfortunately, I think that's where Rasmussen is headed. Players rarely find significant puck skills after age 20, so it's not looking good.

On the other hand, Necas possesses all those things, and always has. (He's also a good skater, with good hockey IQ.) He is perfectly positioned to become an ideal top six player, and if he hasn't done it yet, he's well-positioned to take on that role quite shortly. While Rasmussen has developing to do simply to make the NHL, Necas has already done that. Necas is clearly a step ahead. We would be at an impasse if Rasmussen had made the NHL roster and produced before he got hurt, but he did neither of those things.

To this point in time, Necas is clearly ahead. There should be absolutely no question which player is trending up and which one is not right now. What happens in the years to come, we'll see. But I think that's all indisputable. It's not a matter of subjective judgments, it's a matter of concrete things like earning NHL icetime, producing points, and making teams or not making teams—the latter being particularly egregious when the team Rasmussen couldn't make is the worst in the league, and arguably the worst in some time. The only real argument in Rasmussen's favor is not that he has done better than Necas so far, but that in the future he might catch up or surpass Necas. Which is all well and good, but that hasn't happened yet, and may not.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
My redraft wasn’t too bad compared to previous ones I’ve done. Just shows how hard it is to predict 17 year old development.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
You've actually misunderstood me. The point of my last post was not to argue some case about Necas so much as it was to argue that there can be a case about Necas. I took you to be saying that since we can't predict how player development will proceed, we cannot compare any two players who have not finished their development—because we don't know what has yet to happen. You called them anecdotes, no doubt referring to their relative uselessness in scientific situations. My point was that we can compare players. There are facts of the matter about players that differ in material and countable ways, and we can compare those to draw provisional, but useful, conclusions about those players.

(The Sundin point was meant to illustrate that your better-grounded belief was clearly superior to my crazy one, that Rasmussen will become a pink unicorn. Facts matter. If these are all just anecdotes, the two are equivalent in value. Which is absurd.)

Anyway, back to Rasmussen. I have no real interest in debating Rasmussen's skating, as I think it's pretty good. It's a strength of his. The trouble is that I don't think Rasmussen will develop his hands, stickhandling, shot, or offensive creativity. (I think his hockey IQ is pretty solid.) For me, and I don't think I'm alone on this one, I value skilled players in my top six many times over "role-player" type guys riding shotgun a la Holmstrom or Abdelkader. Unfortunately, I think that's where Rasmussen is headed. Players rarely find significant puck skills after age 20, so it's not looking good.

On the other hand, Necas possesses all those things, and always has. (He's also a good skater, with good hockey IQ.) He is perfectly positioned to become an ideal top six player, and if he hasn't done it yet, he's well-positioned to take on that role quite shortly. While Rasmussen has developing to do simply to make the NHL, Necas has already done that. Necas is clearly a step ahead. We would be at an impasse if Rasmussen had made the NHL roster and produced before he got hurt, but he did neither of those things.

To this point in time, Necas is clearly ahead. There should be absolutely no question which player is trending up and which one is not right now. What happens in the years to come, we'll see. But I think that's all indisputable. It's not a matter of subjective judgments, it's a matter of concrete things like earning NHL icetime, producing points, and making teams or not making teams—the latter being particularly egregious when the team Rasmussen couldn't make is the worst in the league, and arguably the worst in some time. The only real argument in Rasmussen's favor is not that he has done better than Necas so far, but that in the future he might catch up or surpass Necas. Which is all well and good, but that hasn't happened yet, and may not.

That's awesome man. Appreciate the chat and I am really looking forward to following Necas through the spring.

I think we do have a disagreement on what it will look like when/if Rasmussen puts everything together, but I talk all the time in terms of what I think can be a players ceiling, so I have no problem seeing what their floor or mid range might look like. I'm just shifted further to the right on my baseline for Ras if you will. I think that when his game synthesizes, there are going to be ticks and bonuses that go along with that, that elevate him above a net front role player.

I think his skating ability, and let's say intensity and one track mind, have him well poised to be a giant Filppula of sorts(I've said that before and people hated it I understand). I expect him to develop some pretty formidable routes as a center in the sytle of Filppula. Strong mid 6 back checking center, with decent hands and a mind for distributing the puck while lazily cutting across the circle tops after a strong 3v3 defensive possession into plodding transitions. IF that were to all come together, I think Ras has the tools to be a lot more consistent/productive offensively than Fil.

I agree with you that the last thing we should do around here is shy away from making any kind of assessment of players, I just like seeing people go out on a limb and try and explain their impressions so I can get a better grasp of the lens they are looking through. Til next time! Hope you got to enjoy the W tonight.

Reactions: Darkseider

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The problem is we need impact players. I agree that the 2017 draft is a weaker draft. My point is we have to set the bar a little higher than just ‘respectable’ as far as what we get from our top picks, or this team will never re-build.
We want impact players but still need to be realistic about the returns of singular picks. If we have 10 picks in the top 10, with an average draft position of ~5 to make things simple, how many impact players would you expect, how many decent/good players and how many outright busts?

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
some of these posts are crazy. both sides of the argument need to take a step back. There's a lot of development still being needed so lets relax a bit.

Personally, this draft was horrible in my mind and i think in the mind of majority. To think we might get a fringe top 6 dman and a 3C is just outright disgusting when we had all those picks and almost seeing how bad some have already flopped.

our 2018 draft saved the 2017 draft. But no one will talk about 'what if we had two 2017' drafts.. that would set us back significantly.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
The worst recent draft done by the Red Wings.

Rasmussen: 3C at best
Lindstrom: 3rd line D at best
Kotkansalo: AHLer
Zablocki: No future
Gallant: San Jose prospect
Petruzzeli: NHL Back-up/AHL Starter
Setkov: AHLer
Fraser: No future
Adams: Who knows? 4th line grinder?
Webb: No future
Gilmour: No future

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I remember on draft day we all knew this draft was a bust the moment it was over, I don't recall anyone being very pleased with it in the threads immediately afterward. Maybe this is revisionist history though, its been a while.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Wow a number of people are really "patient" with 20 year olds on here! :facepalm:

Rasmussen played decently last season in the NHL, despite this overdone thing on here that he was awful or some other negative term. He was also having a pretty good start in the AHL, and is now injured. People acting like a guy getting hurt can't come back from an injury and play well again is weird. Truth is, we don't yet know whether or not he will be a really good NHL'er or just an ok one. I do believe he will be an NHL regular at worst though. He is big, skates well for being as big as he is, and plays well in front of the net, which lots of teams can use and even in his rookie season he showed that he can be valuable in that spot. All of the tanker people keep saying we have to be patient with rebuilding, yet 2 and a bit years in, and we need to panic because one of our picks isn't leading the league in scoring or something.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The worst recent draft done by the Red Wings.

Rasmussen: 3C at best
Lindstrom: 3rd line D at best
Kotkansalo: AHLer
Zablocki: No future
Gallant: San Jose prospect
Petruzzeli: NHL Back-up/AHL Starter
Setkov: AHLer
Fraser: No future
Adams: Who knows? 4th line grinder?
Webb: No future
Gilmour: No future

How is Ras a 3rd at best? We don't know yet, WAY TO SOON!

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
What makes you think he is a 2nd liner? He ain't no Larkin

I don't know where he will be, but way too soon to say he is 3rd at best. He could end up being a 1st line player, my point is we don't know yet. Not every prospect makes the NHL and does well right away. There are lots of current really good NHL'ers who had slow starts to their careers, that every team would love to have right now. Scheifele took about 5 years after his draft before he was more than a 40 or so point player, same with Couturier. We need to slow down and wait another year or two, and even then they could still turn into something.

Ras didn't get a lot of high end ice time last year, and had 18 pts in 62 games which really isn't that bad considering it was considered a disappointing season by so many. There were a fair number of moments where you could see him doing very good stuff net front. Confidence in using his size was a big key for him to getting better, and in training camp you could see he was much more confident. He also in fairness easily could have made the team out of camp, as he was better than Erne, Nielsen, Abdelkader, DLR, Ehn and a few others based on performance.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Big power forwards take longer to develop, you'd think Wings fans would know that considering Mantha's development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad