Corey Pronman Reviews the 2017 Draft

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
And gives the Red Wings a C-. Only Rasmussen looks like he'll be an NHLer and he looks more like a top 9 than a top 6 guy. Not great for a guy drafted as highly as he was and the jury is still out on his overall development. While not directly related, Dennis Cholowski, our top draft pick the previous year, is currently on pace to put up a -60 in the NHL.

Link: Pronman: Auditing the grades for the 2017 NHL Draft

Reactions: Flowah

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Going back in the NHL Draft these are the #9 picks:

Mikhail Sergachev
Timo Meier
Nikolaj Ehlers
Bo Horvat
Jacob Trouba
Dougie Hamilton
Mikael Granlund
Jared Cowen
Josh Bailey
Logan Couture
James Sheppard
Brian Lee
Ladislav Smid
Dion Phaneuf
Petr Taticek
Tuomo Ruutu

Seems like more recently it's been easier to hit on #9, but it's still no guarantee. For every Trouba there's a Jared Cowen. Not excusing the pick, I still think at this point I'd have rolled the dice on Vilardi over Rasmussen because of the potential but on that entire list I see 4 career top 6 forwards with All Star potential(Meier, Ehlers, Horvat, Couture) and 3 career top 4 D with All Star potential(Trouba, Hamilton, Phaneuf).

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Going back in the NHL Draft these are the #9 picks:

Mikhail Sergachev
Timo Meier
Nikolaj Ehlers
Bo Horvat
Jacob Trouba
Dougie Hamilton
Mikael Granlund
Jared Cowen
Josh Bailey
Logan Couture
James Sheppard
Brian Lee
Ladislav Smid
Dion Phaneuf
Petr Taticek
Tuomo Ruutu

Seems like more recently it's been easier to hit on #9, but it's still no guarantee. For every Trouba there's a Jared Cowen. Not excusing the pick, I still think at this point I'd have rolled the dice on Vilardi over Rasmussen because of the potential but on that entire list I see 4 career top 6 forwards with All Star potential(Meier, Ehlers, Horvat, Couture) and 3 career top 4 D with All Star potential(Trouba, Hamilton, Phaneuf).
Notice that most of the good ones are recent. Rasmussen is easily the weakest recent pick. It’s fairly evident that red wings scouting has not caught up to the rest of the league.

Reactions: Flowah

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Wasn't all the talk on draft day from Holland about what a character guy Rasmussen was? My memory is that we picked him for his mentals over his technicals (which at the time most people were dubious about)

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Notice that most of the good ones are recent. Rasmussen is easily the weakest recent pick. It’s fairly evident that red wings scouting has not caught up to the rest of the league.

Look at the strength of the other drafts compared to 2017 though. Not exactly a lot of talent that went after Rasmussen. Maybe you like Necas, but there really isn't a widely talked about name in the lead up to the draft that has outperformed by all that much.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I remember a lot of posters considered this a weird draft, lots of picks spent on size and only average skill. 2.5 years is probably not enough to judge late round picks but it's fair to say those 10 picks on day-2 didn't give us much return.

Here's our "Who would you have picked" thread:

2017 Draft - Who Would You Have Picked?

At least my picks are looking pretty horrible :laugh:

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
2017 was considered a very weak draft. I will blame Holland for anything, even if my fries are slightly cold, but, the 2017 draft being shit wasn't his fault.

Reactions: GMR and PelagicJoe

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
there's like 15 guys taken after Rasmussen in the first round I would take over him today

way too early to call that draft weak

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
To be fair 2017 was easily the weakest draft in recent years.

I still think Ras can be a 25 goal guy, once his injuries get taken care of. Stings we didn’t take Necas though, especially since they were looking at him and taking him out to dinner beforehand

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Pay locked. What a garbage and useless thread............
Then don't follow it, you can literally make it not show up on the board for yourself and no one cares if you aren't going to read it.

I know Vilardi has come on a bit the past 10 days but the reason I hate Pronman is the difference between his LA and Detroit blurbs. Basically Rasmussen is a top 9 player and Gustav Lindstrom isn't flashy enough for him - C-, Vilardi has amazing skill but hasn't played at all the past 2 years and they have 2 bottom lineup players that haven't shown anything in the AHL - C. The difference is he's always beat off to Vilardi.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
2017 was considered a very weak draft. I will blame Holland for anything, even if my fries are slightly cold, but, the 2017 draft being **** wasn't his fault.

Pretty much. Even Nico and the other guy that went 2nd overall were pretty underwhelming picks in my opinion.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Then don't follow it, you can literally make it not show up on the board for yourself and no one cares if you aren't going to read it.

I know Vilardi has come on a bit the past 10 days but the reason I hate Pronman is the difference between his LA and Detroit blurbs. Basically Rasmussen is a top 9 player and Gustav Lindstrom isn't flashy enough for him - C-, Vilardi has amazing skill but hasn't played at all the past 2 years and they have 2 bottom lineup players that haven't shown anything in the AHL - C. The difference is he's always beat off to Vilardi.

Pay locked articles should be eliminated/banned from this forum. It's flat out income discrimination and should not be tolerated here.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Pay locked articles should be eliminated/banned from this forum. It's flat out income discrimination and should not be tolerated here.
You can eliminate it by unfollowing the thread. Enough of us have The Athletic to discuss the articles.

Reactions: NervousPerson

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
You can eliminate it by unfollowing the thread. Enough of us have The Athletic to discuss the articles.

So some people should be like "if you can't afford it, then go elsewhere, we don't want you".

That's like the exact epitome of discrimination, Lol

"Go away you different race, age, sex, income level person -- you dont belong here with us"

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
^^ Dotter. I mean I suppose as a non-athletic member I cannot read the articles. But its nice to know that there are quality hockey articles at other sources. Many people have told me the Athletic is worth subscribing to. Also this isn't really about money. Its like $20 for a membership

In regards to the article... and the thread of who we would have taken... Its clear Necas or Vilardi.

The worst choice would have been Vilardi who is likely never to play again.
Rasmussen and Necas are a dead heat for taking forever to make the NHL.

I do not see a lot of obvious better choices than Rasmussen.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
If he turns into a solid 3rd liner that is still okay. But I do emphasize "solid" drafting 18 year olds is so top heavy usually by the 6th pick everyone is a long shot. As for the wings I think once everyone caught up to their European and Russian scouts they haven't had the same success. The previous dynasty depended on that advantage and without it they drafted below average. I think better scouting will turn out under Yzerman.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

So some people should be like "if you can't afford it, then go elsewhere, we don't want you".

That's like the exact epitome of discrimination, Lol

"Go away you different race, age, sex, income level person -- you dont belong here with us"
Weren't you recently calling people out for being soft millennials?

It's discrimination to discuss paywalled articles? You must be trolling.

Make sure no one asks Dotter if he's seen a show on HBO or Netflix.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Vilardi is playing in the AHL right now and he has 5 points in his last 4 games after going scoreless in his first 2. 6GP 2G 3A

I still like Rasmussen, he looked really good to start the season and I know his skill-set is broader than some others think.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I remember a lot of posters considered this a weird draft, lots of picks spent on size and only average skill. 2.5 years is probably not enough to judge late round picks but it's fair to say those 10 picks on day-2 didn't give us much return.

Here's our "Who would you have picked" thread:

2017 Draft - Who Would You Have Picked?

At least my picks are looking pretty horrible :laugh:

Mine were:
#9: Vilardi
#38: Dylan Samberg (d)
#71: Lipanov (c)
#79: Farrance (d)
#83: Fleury (d)
#88: Petruzzelli
#100: Ruzicka (c)
#131: Inamoto (d)
#162: Chemelvski (c)
#164: Minulin (d)
#193: Slepets (rw)

Jury's out on Vilardi. But Samberg, Farrance and Fleury ... man our defensive depth would be something else.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Vilardi is playing in the AHL right now and he has 5 points in his last 4 games after going scoreless in his first 2. 6GP 2G 3A

I still like Rasmussen, he looked really good to start the season and I know his skill-set is broader than some others think.

Vilardi looks like a righthanded Draisaitl.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
^^ Dotter. I mean I suppose as a non-athletic member I cannot read the articles. But its nice to know that there are quality hockey articles at other sources. Many people have told me the Athletic is worth subscribing to. Also this isn't really about money. Its like $20 for a membership

In regards to the article... and the thread of who we would have taken... Its clear Necas or Vilardi.

Rasmussen and Necas are a dead heat for taking forever to make the NHL.

I do not see a lot of obvious better choices than Rasmussen.

I would have selected Vilardi (also wanted Necas, Liljegren or Robert Thomas).

But Necas right now flat owns Rasmussen.
6-10-16 in 27 games. Exact same production through 35 games as Ras had in 68.

Nick Suziki and Robert Thomas also look like better picks than Ras right now.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I would have selected Vilardi (also wanted Necas, Liljegren or Robert Thomas).

But Necas right now flat owns Rasmussen.
6-10-16 in 27 games. Exact same production through 35 games as Ras had in 68.

Nick Suziki and Robert Thomas also look like better picks than Ras right now.

Necas also plays on a much better team than the 2018-19 Red Wings.

It's not the sole difference maker, but it certainly helps a ton. He also got an extra year of development before entering the NHL as a regular.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad