Corey Pronman Reviews the 2017 Draft

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Necas also plays on a much better team than the 2018-19 Red Wings.

It's not the sole difference maker, but it certainly helps a ton. He also got an extra year of development before entering the NHL as a regular.

Sure. But when you watch Necas, the skill is obvious. Same thing with Robert Thomas.
I can't say the same thing for Ras, and I watched him a lot last year.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Rasmussen and Necas are a dead heat for taking forever to make the NHL.

I do not see a lot of obvious better choices than Rasmussen.

Not so sure about that. Necas started slow this year getting limited minutes, but he came on really hot before his injury. 16 points in 27 games getting 3rd line minutes is pretty great for a 20-year-old. Took Ras all season to match that production last year.

Necas was the obvious skill choice but the Wings wanted size and toughness. We'll see. I'm not writing Ras off but it's frustrating knowing Necas and Quinn would be on this roster today helping and instead we have two projects getting more AHL time.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
right now as of today out of guys taken in the first round after Rasmussen I would take(in no particular order just going by when they were drafted): Tippett,Vilardi,Necas,Suzuki,Brannstrom,Valimaki,Liljegren,Thomas,Chytil,Frost,Jokiharju,Tolvanen over him without even having to think about it

with a bunch of others like Yamamoto and Norris right there with him but requiring a bit more thought to decide

I don't at all buy the "weak draft" narrative as making it look better,there's more guys i'd take over him now than there was when the draft happened

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
honestly I feel like in general 2017 draft talk has somewhat limited value at this point

wouldn't go so far as to say people shouldn't talk about it if they want to and yeah it sucked but at this point there's a different GM,the "face" behind the draft in Wright is gone,some other scouts are gone too,and there's literally dozens of other things to complain about as a Wings fan that are still actively happening

Reactions: MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Guys - if you want journalism, you have to pay for it.
That's life. The news industry made a huge mistake making their content free in the early days of the internet. Because Facebook/Reddit/ and everyone else... they sell advertisers and what are their costs? Server costs. Marketing. IT.
People provide the content for free.
News industries have to compete with that. But they pay for their content. So they can't compete.
I think if you post a paragraph or two, you're OK sharing that.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
What? Necas has 16 points in 27 games. In the NHL. What's Rasmussen doing right now? Come on. Necas is the obvious better choice.

Too soon to set significant conclusions as development is non-linear. This time last year Rasmussen was looking like the better asset.

Reactions: vladdy16

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Right, and one player is actually regressing. Regardless of linear or non-linear progression, that's a problem.

Yea I don’t see he how he is regressing. He had a strong start before running into some injuries this season.

I also don’t view moving from the NHL to AHL as a bad thing. Despite having a solid rookie season he probably would have been in the Ahl if it was an option. At this point, playing an offensive role in the top of the lineup in the ahl will help add more elements to his game than exclusively playing as “the net front guy” or a bottom 6 grind line.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Going from playing in the NHL to not even making the team isn't regression? If he were good enough, he would have been on the NHL roster this year. And it was a pretty weak depth chart for him to climb, so that's saying a lot.

That would be a really lazy analysis for a 20 yo hockey player.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
All the points in the debate have been flimsy so far. Including Necas' 16 pts.
So let's get this straight. Rasmussen is in the AHL, injured most of the season so far, Necas is in the NHL producing at above a .5 PPG clip, and you're not sure which one is doing better?

The only way that makes any sense is you think Rasmussen will have some exponential leap in his development, and we have no reason to believe he will. At this point, I'm hoping Rasmussen can get over the hand injuries, because they're starting to take away a lot of development time. If it happens again, he might be in Svechnikov territory.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Though Necas looks the better pick now, I'm still comfortable with Rasmussen. He was looking very good in GR until his injury - playmaking and being good defensively. He clearly wasn't ready for the NHL - particularly with regards to quickness, core strength etc, but just prior he had been beating up on the WHL. If he can get over his injury problems, I think we have a 40-50 point center who can be very good on special teams in both capacities or a slightly higher scorer if played on the wing. With a competent D-core and some creativity on the roster, he could be a real PP beast.

As I said at the time, Rasmussen's greatest appeal is his uniqueness in terms of creating a roster. There just aren't many 6"6 centers who have soft hands around the net, who are also decent passers and strong defensively. Smaller playmaking forwards will always be easier to come by in terms of yearly drafts. If the wings don;t get a superstar pick, they are guaranteed a shot at a range of players like Necas but with higher ceilings, but there really aren't many massive goalscorers about.

Also, his PPG in Gr before his injury was better than Mantha's first two seasons in GR. and of course, big guys invariably take longer to peak in most sports that require agility and dexterity.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
So let's get this straight. Rasmussen is in the AHL, injured most of the season so far, Necas is in the NHL producing at above a .5 PPG clip, and you're not sure which one is doing better?

As 20 yo prospects? Absent of any other information or analysis? Absolutely yes.

Your second paragraph is kind of shocking to be honest. I think you need to reevaluate the timeframes in which you are expecting things to materialize in regards to less than bluechip prospects.

Preferring Necas to Rasmussen is totally reasonable. Saying the verdict is in is ridiculous.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Going from playing in the NHL to not even making the team isn't regression? If he were good enough, he would have been on the NHL roster this year. And it was a pretty weak depth chart for him to climb, so that's saying a lot.

Thats not being honest with the situation Ras was in last year. He was not going to develop last year playing in the CHL, and he couldnt be send down to the AHL due to a clause in the CBA given his age/situation (I dont remember exactly what it was). Had he been able to go to GR outside of a conditioning stint, he would have played in the AHL. He's a point per game player in the AHL this year, he just got hurt.

Not saying he's going to be a stud or anything, but he's not regressing unless you consider getting injured a regression in his development, then sure.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
The verdict won't be technically in for several years. But one guy is undeniably ahead of the other right now. Rasmussen has to take a big step forward if he's going to match Necas.

Then make a list or summary of all the ways that Necas is undeniably ahead of Rasmussen. Because 16 pts doesn't come close to cutting it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad