Player Discussion Corey Perry

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I don't see the negative 'Perry sucks, too slow and should have retired' crowd lately? Are they coiling up for a strike, just waiting to nitpick when he doesn't shine? Come on out and play?

lONmU.gif
He's been a good fit for this team because we needed a PP presence, but let's not kid ourselves, he's slow as f. Far from someone I'd want as a staple in my top 6. Very smart player, though.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
They really should've pushed to eliminate the need to clear waivers for the taxi squad. Leave the usual waiver rules in place, but not taxi squad. Those players are essentially part of the team. You aren't sending them down. They're part of your team. Its stupid and teams will lose their depth over this. We lost Juulsen because of this. If its to give guys an opportunity to play, guess what? Juulsen isn't playing in Florida as far as I know. If Perry plays well, don't you think someone will grab him if he's sent back?

Juulsen finally played some games. Seems not to be playing again, 4 games as per hockeydb, but I think he had 4 games a week or two ago...

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
He's been a good fit for this team because we needed a PP presence, but let's not kid ourselves, he's slow as f. Far from someone I'd want as a staple in my top 6. Very smart player, though.
Yeah I think Perry is perfect in his current role as a 4th liner who gets PP time. It minimizes his biggest weakness which is his lack of speed.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Its a shame because I liked him and thought he'd be ready for a bottom pairing role with us.

He should be playing. Florida may have killed his career by picking him and sitting him on the bench. The waiver thing is supposed to be for players but it is not helping him. He's hardly played in 2 years, no surprise he wouldn't star immediately once they put him in.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He should be playing. Florida may have killed his career by picking him and sitting him on the bench. The waiver thing is supposed to be for players but it is not helping him. He's hardly played in 2 years, no surprise he wouldn't star immediately once they put him in.

There should be a rule that prospects who've missed significant time to injury should be waiver exempt for extra time in proportion to the time they missed with injury.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
There should be a rule that prospects who've missed significant time to injury should be waiver exempt for extra time in proportion to the time they missed with injury.

I was thinking the same thing but it's a player's bargaining point. Maybe allow the player to waive waivers. No idea how Juulsen feels about the waiver claim, he might not have been willing to stay.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
These hands though. So who's better Perry or Kovalchuk ?

As a player I always liked Kovalchuk but in terms of their performance with Montreal, Perry is definitely ahead. He's doing it on the 4th line with little icetime.

He literally goes on the ice some shifts and just makes something happen out of nothing. Makes you come to a realization how good this guy must have been during the prime years. He's the same age as Weber, makes you realize that perhaps they should lessen his icetime/workload.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
As a player I always liked Kovalchuk but in terms of their performance with Montreal, Perry is definitely ahead. He's doing it on the 4th line with little icetime.

He literally goes on the ice some shifts and just makes something happen out of nothing. Makes you come to a realization how good this guy must have been during the prime years.
That move yeaterday was so effortless, he was so much ahead of the goalie on that play.
Shame he slowed down, but if he had not, he would not be a hab this year.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Impressive that Perry is scoring at a 40 point pace playing on the 4th line and PP.

And he's scoring more goals at a better pace than the last 2 years even lol, on the 4th line no less

I like that they at least keep him in the line up for the monstrous PP presence, something weve just not had for such a long time, everything he does on the PP, every single thing, is right decision be it a pass or the way he moves to the front of the net to screen or the set play to gally
Just like with Kovalchuk last year which was a treat to have since i was always a fan of his, its the same with Perry, not what he was, still love that hes a hab tho, never thought id see it lol

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

He literally goes on the ice some shifts and just makes something happen out of nothing. Makes you come to a realization how good this guy must have been during the prime years. He's the same age as Weber, makes you realize that perhaps they should lessen his icetime/workload.

Haha well there's a reason he won a Hart and a Rocket (although it was a big peak year for him). Ditto for Kovalchuk, the motor falls off but the offensive instinct and decision making is still there. Great guys to have around Kotkaniemi and Suzuki, and the team in general. + Perry has lots of playoff experience, and successful playoff experience at that, which we don't really have otherwise.

Reactions: morhilane

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It's strange to me that Perry has been in the league forever, but I didn't realize exactly how big he is until this year.

When it comes to plays in the slot or around the net, Perry has still got those silky hands and sneaky vision.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
both should have been on this team.

Just as 30 other GM's were clueless in passing up on Perry at 750k, 31 GM's were clueless in passing up on Kovalchuk.

Thank god we "missed out" on Simmonds though. Perry >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Simmonds.
These guys aren't durable. I love Perry but his skating is horrendous and you need to scratch him occasionally to keep him fresh in order for him to be worth it.

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
He’s better then Lehkonen, Byron, Evans atleast and I’d even go as far to say he’s had more of an impact then Armia. I would’ve taken Kovalchuk back to instead of Frolik

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
These hands though. So who's better Perry or Kovalchuk ?

Kovalchuk was better, but he also averaged 19 min of ice time versus Perry's 12 min of ice time.

Also Kovalchuk slowed down considerably after 15 games, whereas Perry seems to be heating up. The answer is Perry if he can continue to produce.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsQC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad