Player Discussion Corey Perry

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Again that was just a 1 time thing, he'd already be on the team and weve been rolling with an extra roster spot JUST because of cap issues (coincidentally because of the Toffoli contract, but hey, you HAD to do it marc and good job)
Once we can finally squeeze in Perry into the roster, he's most likely there to stay, and doubt they just chuck him back on the taxi squad with the fear of losing him to waivers for nothing everytime

His play will obviously truly determine everything in the end but again, really doubt they "test" him on waivers again

Habs returning Perry to the taxi squad does not mean he needs to go through waivers again. In fact, he should get demoted again for the days off to save more Cap room and prevent him from being with the team for 30 days happening that quickly -- that, or 10 games played are the criteria for needing to go through waivers again if he is demoted to the taxi squad.

Stretch it out as long as you can to accumulate Cap room for the IR in the future and for bonus money that will likely, at least in part, need to be paid out to Kotkaniemi, Suzuki and Romanov or, to get a shot at an impact rental at the deadline. Not having the Cap room to do so would amputate next year's cap (the CBA forces us to apply it no later than the next year) and perhaps influence our ability to re-sign Tatar, Danault, Armia, Lehkonen and Poehling, all due for extensions.

Why waste cap room next year when there is a mechanism to accumulate it this year for what needs to be taken into account in terms of bonus money?It's unclear, for me, whether it can be counted through available Cap space this year or, be forced not next year's Cap for lack of Cap room this year or must necessarily be applied to next year's Cap?

"A" Level Bonuses
"A" Bonuses are worth $212,500 each, to a maximum of $850,000 (maximum 4 achieved). They are achieved by each of:

Forwards

-20 goals
-35 assists
-60 points
-Top six in Time on Ice among forwards (in total and/or per game) on team (minimum 42 games)
-Top three in +/- among forwards on team (minimum 42 games)
-0.73 points per game (minimum 42 games)
-End-of Season All Rookie Team
-All Star Selection
-All Star MVP

KK's contract likely is comprised of four 'A' Level bonus payouts, up to a maximum of 850K and the rest of the difference from 2.5M in 'B' level bonuses. Suzuki's contract allows for two 'A' Level bonus payouts only and Romanov for One 'A' Level bonus payout.

Suzuki has a solid shot at earning at lest one of his two 'A' level bonuses in this shortened season and could conceivably get both for 425K, whether through top-6 in ice time for forwards or +\- 0r an astounding offensive production in goals or assists.

Romanov would need to achieve one of the following to achieve his only 'A' Level bonus.

Defensemen

-10 goals
-25 assists
-40 points
-Top four in Time on Ice among Defensemen (in total and/or per game) on team (minimum 42 games)
-Top three in +/- among defensemen on team (minimum 42 games)
-0.49 points per game (minimum 42 games)
-Top two among defensemen on team in blocked shocks
-End-of Season All Rookie Team
-All Star Selection
-All Star MVP

In all likelihood, Romanov will earn his 212.5K in bonuses. Just top-4 TOI would trigger it.

Best case scenario, Suzuki and Romanov will combine for 425K between them, Suzuki falling just short of a second 'A' Level bonus being triggered.

It's anybody's guess how KK will continue to progress this season and how many 'A' Level bonuses are truly attainable for him?

Whatever the amount, it is unlikely that Kotkaniemi will achieve those 'B' Level bonuses as he would need to achieve one of the following:

"B" Level Bonuses

"B" Bonuses are worth a maximum of $2 Million, and the full amount of the bonus is awarded if any of the following is achieved:

-Forwards: Top Ten in NHL Forward Goals, Assists, points, or points per game (min 42 GP)

Send Perry down, along with a waiver free rookie to accumulate as much cap room as possible on the days off.

Let's be safe and say there are three 'A' Level bonuses attained by the Habs youngsters. That's 637.5K needed in Cap room. Without injuries all season long, we would already cover this with the 775K that was available before the Armia injury.

Accumulate as much as possible throughout the season to avoid any unwelcome Cap surprises because of welcome performance surprises from our youngsters.

Reactions: Archijerej

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
They really should've pushed to eliminate the need to clear waivers for the taxi squad. Leave the usual waiver rules in place, but not taxi squad. Those players are essentially part of the team. You aren't sending them down. They're part of your team. Its stupid and teams will lose their depth over this. We lost Juulsen because of this. If its to give guys an opportunity to play, guess what? Juulsen isn't playing in Florida as far as I know. If Perry plays well, don't you think someone will grab him if he's sent back?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They really should've pushed to eliminate the need to clear waivers for the taxi squad. Leave the usual waiver rules in place, but not taxi squad. Those players are essentially part of the team. You aren't sending them down. They're part of your team. Its stupid and teams will lose their depth over this. We lost Juulsen because of this. If its to give guys an opportunity to play, guess what? Juulsen isn't playing in Florida as far as I know. If Perry plays well, don't you think someone will grab him if he's sent back?

The biggest concern with loosing Perry on waivers has passed. Now we can play the management game on the 10 games or 30 days. If he plays longer than that, that means Armia or someone else is hurt long term and we get cap relieve cause they go on IR. Then you can have him on the 22 man roster and don't have to put him on waivers anymore.

FYI Mods: There is 3 open Perry threads on the 1st page at the moment.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
The biggest concern with loosing Perry on waivers has passed. Now we can play the management game on the 10 games or 30 days. If he plays longer than that, that means Armia or someone else is hurt long term and we get cap relieve cause they go on IR. Then you can have him on the 22 man roster and don't have to put him on waivers anymore.

FYI Mods: There is 3 open Perry threads on the 1st page at the moment.
Is it 10 games straight, or 10 games total?

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
The Calgary Flames and their rough & tough, slower than average style... time to shine, Worm.

Look for Perry to have a big game tonight. Not sure about out-pesting Tkachuk, but he'll be useful.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I’ve watched Corey Perry for a lot of years now. I knew it was coming. He’s so slick with his stick, he’s got a long reach", Drouin said.

That's a little, hum, suggestive Jonathan. :laugh:

Nice assist on the Gally PP goal last night.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I’ve watched Corey Perry for a lot of years now. I knew it was coming. He’s so slick with his stick, he’s got a long reach", Drouin said.

That's a little, hum, suggestive Jonathan. :laugh:

Nice assist on the Gally PP goal last night.
They used to say the same thing about John Holmes :naughty:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
That pass to Gallagher last night showed the expertise of Perry. Not too much players will think/execute a crafty pass like that.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Oof. Had to look it up, I see they even threw Val Kilmer into a movie about the whole ordeal.

Dark stuff man. Corey Perry's stick will remain G, or in the worst case PG13 on the ice. No-Holmes.
Oh the man was a total creep , no questions about it. A terrible person through and through. The joke was only in reference to his ''stick'' :P

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I haven't been able to watch all of the last few games but he's just been great to watch. So smart and skilled. Would be ridiculous to sit him. Like I said in another thread, he could fade like Kovalchuk did but for now he's just been such a great add. Really hope he can keep it going.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I haven't been able to watch all of the last few games but he's just been great to watch. So smart and skilled. Would be ridiculous to sit him. Like I said in another thread, he could fade like Kovalchuk did but for now he's just been such a great add. Really hope he can keep it going.

What didn’t help Kovy was that he was playing 21 mins a game and relied upon to lead the team. Perry is at around 14 mins a game and being asked to simply be a 3rd liner.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
What didn’t help Kovy was that he was playing 21 mins a game and relied upon to lead the team. Perry is at around 14 mins a game and being asked to simply be a 3rd liner.

Being able to run 4 lines the way we are is huge. Hopefully he can sustain his play because I think he adds a dimension we can really use.

Reactions: Roadhouse

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
He's really fit in well on the PP and 4th line. Another nice goal last night (ES!).

It also seems like he's really fit in well with the group (the boys).

Not sure exactly what expectations I had for him, but he's exceeded them.

Reactions: MasterD and 417

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I don't see the negative 'Perry sucks, too slow and should have retired' crowd lately? Are they coiling up for a strike, just waiting to nitpick when he doesn't shine? Come on out and play?

lONmU.gif

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I don't see the negative 'Perry sucks, too slow and should have retired' crowd lately? Are they coiling up for a strike, just waiting to nitpick when he doesn't shine? Come on out and play?

lONmU.gif
Perry the the most elite hands on this team & it’s a no contest in tight - should be the first shooter for SO all the time

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Perry the the most elite hands on this team & it’s a no contest in tight - should be the first shooter for SO all the time

No kidding. Perry, Suzuki, JK, Drouin... Toffoli ... enough of Tatar FFS

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
No kidding. Perry, Suzuki, JK, Drouin... Toffoli ... enough of Tatar FFS
KK needs a shot too id go KK, Perry, suzuki drouin

Perry has definitely exceeded my expectations as well. I thought he would be in and out of the lineup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad