Corey Crawford Retires

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Not a bad time to retire. It will be interesting to see if he's considered for the Hall of Fame

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
His head just wasn’t in it. Great career and a great guy. Best of luck Crow with the rest of your life! You’ll be missed!

volcom92886

Feb 23, 2009
So Cal
Devils sure get the short end of the stick, literally get no games played and are stuck with his caphit for the next two seasons.

Reactions: Morrison

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Not a bad time to retire. It will be interesting to see if he's considered for the Hall of Fame

He wont. He has to get to the back of the line behind Lundqvist, Price and maybe Fleury, it is doubtful any other goalies from this generation get in

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Devils sure get the short end of the stick, literally get no games played and are stuck with his caphit for the next two seasons.
it goes away due to being backloaded and not front loaded. We are still screwed from a roster standpoint though as no one else is available on the free agent market to replace him.

volcom92886

Feb 23, 2009
So Cal
He wont. He has to get to the back of the line behind Lundqvist, Price and maybe Fleury, it is doubtful any other goalies from this generation get in
Quick will get in before Fleury or Crawford. Arguably Price as well, but Price's team and nationality give him the edge.

volcom92886

Feb 23, 2009
So Cal
it goes away due to being backloaded and not front loaded. We are still screwed from a roster standpoint though as no one else is available on the free agent market to replace him.
It was to my understanding any team who signs a player 35 and over is stuck with the caphit until the contract expires. Did the rule change recently?

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Per Amended CBA:

64. 35+ Year Old Rule for Cap Counting

CBA §50.5(d)(i)(B)(5) shall have no application to a multi-year SPC that has: (1) total compensation (Player Salary and Bonuses) that is either the same as or increases from one League Year to the immediately subsequent League Year, and (2) a Signing Bonus, if any, that is payable in the first year of the SPC only.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Great career
Interesting that he and Lundqvist both got prevented from joining another team

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
It’s good that NJ doesn’t get stuck with that cap hit (even if NJ is my most disliked team), but it’s still a poor situation for them. I get it... if he just didn’t have his head in the game and isn’t gonna be able to compete what can you do? But he signed up pretty quick when he was able to and then let the team spend the entire off season believing they had a 1B goalie on the roster, only to bail now, a week before the season begins. I can’t fault him for the decision as I’m sure it was tough, but I can say it wasn’t well done. At least Blackwood looks pretty promising and NJ wasn’t looking to compete this year, but they still got shafted.

Last edited:

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
So he will of only played games for 1 franchise even after signing for another. Anyone know how many such instances of such a thing happening?

This is the summer of goalies doing so, apparently, as Lundqvist just did the same. Hasn’t retired officially but after open heart surgery and a year away from the game I have to imagine this will be curtains for him as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad