Corey Crawford Retires

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
After signing a 2 year 35+ deal too. NJ isn’t in a cap crunch so this may help them as the cap remains but the salary goes.

Best of luck to Crawford

There was clearly no attempt to circumvent the cap and no way NJ could've seen this coming so it seems ridiculous that his cap hit would still count against them, but this is the NHL and New Jersey so I'm sure it will.

There is no possible way this helps them.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Hell of a goalie who I never thought got the appreciation he deserved.

Crawford suffers from vertigo also doesn’t he? Vertigo is terrible and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
If he was on the fence about continuing to play, maybe he shouldn't have signed a 2-year contract and subsequently left the team at the worst possible time.

Sure he's a great guy and family is more important, etc. But he really screwed over the Devils here who have to scramble to find a backup goalie and may be stuck with his cap hit for the next two years.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I feel bad for NJ and their fans... don’t really like that Crawford did this tbh.

I wonder if he collected any money and if he owed it back. Might just have felt that once all the escrow and deferrals come into play that it isn’t worth playing for.

Reactions: Morrison and xigon

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
If he was on the fence about continuing to play, maybe he shouldn't have signed a 2-year contract and subsequently left the team at the worst possible time.

Sure he's a great guy and family is more important, etc. But he really screwed over the Devils here who have to scramble to find a backup goalie and may be stuck with his cap hit for the next two years.
I second this. We all respect Crawford, and understand his situation. But the Devils organization counted on him. They needed a veteran back-up. I bet they would have made a massive pitch for Khudobin. Hope they get someone to help out.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
He'd have to waive, and that seems unlikely given he wants to start and the starter is blackwood and the team is going nowhere
I agree. The team is bad, and moving the family to NJ wouldn't be to appealing.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
I feel like the 35+ rule shouldn't really count if the player never plays for the team, especially in a case like this where there were literally no games scheduled where he could have played.

Reactions: Morrison

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Wish he hadn’t waited till 5 games before the season starts to decide this. We don’t really have anyone else in the system ready to step up. Maybe Marty can suit up again.

Reactions: Morrison

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
What a weird way to go out. Wonder if he'd do the same if the Hawks re-signed him.

Guy was a warrior. Top-5 goalie many seasons but never got the respect he deserved. But we don't win in 2013 and 2015 without him.

All the best in retirement, Crow.

corey-crawford2jpg.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad