Cord cutter in NYC how to watch games

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
If you have a smart tv and you have any questions regarding this, hit me up.

Or you can stream MSG for free, no account needed, super easy to use, no matter what country you're in.
Yeah but a good IPTV can get you pretty much every single channel you want and can fully replace your cable.

Sure, you can find a link for MSG. How about every other channel? And if you do find all the channels you want, how do you keep them organized? How about a guide?

I didn’t cancel cable yet as I’m currently still working on a perfect setup I want, but right now I can have Canadian (just the hockey channels) and the US channels I want in one place on my TV.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Just watch the games on illegal sites... its free and there are no commercials, the commercial breaks just say "commercial break in progress" lol. Been doing that for years
Been trying to but couldn't find any like I usually do. Need the DVR for Rangers games too.

NYR2007

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
Does anyone have problems watching the MSG app. Either it lags so the speed of the game doesn’t look right if I’m streaming a iPad to my TV or it will buffer for no reason

Gluten Free Breadman

Mar 9, 2011
ny
Hey guys, to my chagrin, I tried to watch the Rangers today using the method that I used last season. Its tricky, but it used to work. The setup: I live in NYC. I have a Playstation 5. I used yonder.tv (which is a dns server designed to stream from nhl.tv while in market - basically a VPN) and NHL.TV. I know, NHL went to ESPN+ and all that, but nonetheless it worked last season.

But now it is not working. And I am stressed about it.

I have a nice tv and soundsystem connected to a playstation 5. Is there anything I can do to watch games in NYC besides a cable subscription? I dont want to watch on a phone or computer.

I want to sit on my comfy couch with my big tv and nice speakers and watch the Rangers. Please tell me how!

Please help.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Hey guys, to my chagrin, I tried to watch the Rangers today using the method that I used last season. Its tricky, but it used to work. The setup: I live in NYC. I have a Playstation 5. I used yonder.tv (which is a dns server designed to stream from nhl.tv while in market - basically a VPN) and NHL.TV. I know, NHL went to ESPN+ and all that, but nonetheless it worked last season.

But now it is not working. And I am stressed about it.

I have a nice tv and soundsystem connected to a playstation 5. Is there anything I can do to watch games in NYC besides a cable subscription? I dont want to watch on a phone or computer.

I want to sit on my comfy couch with my big tv and nice speakers and watch the Rangers. Please tell me how!

Please help.
Don't know if this had anything to with it, but both Ranger games were on NHL Network, which means they were probably moved off ESPN+. I didn't check as I was lazy and flipping between the Yankees and Giants also.

NHL Network used the MSG feed on Monday and the Boston feed last night.

Pre-season out of market is really difficult. Used to be that with DirecTV and the sports package you'd get anything, but since the most recent deal nothing is available even if you have Center Ice. ESPN+ might be another story -- again, haven't checked it yet.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I will say that certain long-running Rangers specific stream is still going strong... had to resort to that since the MSG go app SUCKS especially when trying to airplay to your tv

Reactions: QJL

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
mods, with release of new service from MSG imminent real thing sched for later this season, pls sticky this thread.

IMPORTANT UPDATE via Yardbarker:

ignore the other player discussion and go straight to bottom item, which says MSG working on direct to consumer, projected to be available later this season, $20-25.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
mods, with release of new service from MSG imminent real thing sched for later this season, pls sticky this thread.

IMPORTANT UPDATE via Yardbarker:

ignore the other player discussion and go straight to bottom item, which says MSG working on direct to consumer, projected to be available later this season, $20-25.
Would it include all MSG programming? What about games not aired on MSG like ESPN exclusives and playoff series after 1st round?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Would it include all MSG programming? What about games not aired on MSG like ESPN exclusives and playoff series after 1st round?

I’m assuming it’s streaming of the networks so you’d get everything and the games on MSG Network properties. You wouldn’t get any games not on MSG Network though so you’d have to find a solution for that as well.

trueblue30nyr

Jan 31, 2011
Manhattan
I'm switching from Hulu to Fubo in December then getting rid of Fubo once this app comes out. Only using for football season.
I watch a lot of other stuff on Fubo, including the NFL and the Jets, so I would be keeping it for that, but it would suck to have to pay for yet another service if the MSG channels come off.

Reactions: deathb4disco

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I’m assuming it’s streaming of the networks so you’d get everything and the games on MSG Network properties. You wouldn’t get any games not on MSG Network though so you’d have to find a solution for that as well.
This ^ is plausible and logical.
What governs is prob the language in the contract w/ESPN, TBS, TNT

Does the agreement say a given game can only be video broadcast on a specific network?
Or does it say the permission is extended to that network for cable or free tv broadcasts and not streaming?

Once any agreements have expired, I anticipate Dolan will let those buying direct get all games but it is just a guess

Other possibility is:
regular MSG direct = all current MSG broadcasts w/exceptions
AND
option to purchase
premium MSG direct = all streaming broacasts no exceptions

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
This ^ is plausible and logical.
What governs is prob the language in the contract w/ESPN, TBS, TNT

Does the agreement say a given game can only be video broadcast on a specific network?
Or does it say the permission is extended to that network for cable or free tv broadcasts and not streaming?

Once any agreements have expired, I anticipate Dolan will let those buying direct get all games but it is just a guess

Other possibility is:
regular MSG direct = all current MSG broadcasts w/exceptions
AND
option to purchase
premium MSG direct = all streaming broacasts no exceptions
Dolan/Rangers/MSG cannot offer all games with no exceptions, as ESPN/TNT owns some of the games. And when the national contract expires, there will be another.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
I'm switching from Hulu to Fubo in December then getting rid of Fubo once this app comes out. Only using for football season.

If you want a cheap way to watch the nfl in season you can get nfl+

You can watch local games with it. Only potential downside is you have to wait for the game to end (personally i never watch any sport live so this isnt an issue for me)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Dolan/Rangers/MSG cannot offer all games with no exceptions, as ESPN/TNT owns some of the games. And when the national contract expires, there will be another.
Again ^ is plausible.
an x factor is rebroadcast rights, if any.

Day of, time of, could be 111% exclusive
BUT
later e.g., could be up for grabs.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Does anyone have problems watching the MSG app. Either it lags so the speed of the game doesn’t look right if I’m streaming a iPad to my TV or it will buffer for no reason
Ive seen issues like this with MSG on all platforms. Even on cable.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Again ^ is plausible.
an x factor is rebroadcast rights, if any.

Day of, time of, could be 111% exclusive
BUT
later e.g., could be up for grabs.
There are no rebroadcast rights and there’s a 0% chance that ESPN and/or TNT will be giving up games that they paid for in the largest city in the country. They wouldn’t even do it for the smallest city.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
There are no rebroadcast rights and there’s a 0% chance that ESPN and/or TNT will be giving up games that they paid for in the largest city in the country. They wouldn’t even do it for the smallest city.
Assuming this is correct, it is still stupid and invites resentment from customer which = fan base.
I get ESPN etc getting full pop unchallenged on original broadcast
Does not make sense to anger fans and make them capitulate
Smarter move is do rebroadcasts, even if espn or tnt or whoever did the original broadcast has to get a piece of the rebroadcast.
Remember espn etc has limitations on rebroadcasts b'c they are committed to their own programming

However, you may be right
stupid things happen
unfortunately, too much of the time.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Would this affect other streaming platforms? I currently get all the MSG channels through Fubo.

The article makes it seen like it is for people who have do not have cable or other providers now that carry MSG.

remember that MSG still gets money from all the cable and streaming sites regardless if the person uses the channel. So I would think it would be very shortsighted to pull the plug from cable or streaming providers.

trueblue30nyr

Jan 31, 2011
Manhattan
The article makes it seen like it is for people who have do not have cable or other providers now that carry MSG.

remember that MSG still gets money from all the cable and streaming sites regardless if the person uses the channel. So I would think it would be very shortsighted to pull the plug from cable or streaming providers.
Well, one can only hope. I really don't want to pay 25 dollars to yet another streaming site. But what you're saying makes sense.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Not pulling the plug
Just no longer exclusive
they pay less but they still pay and they still provide

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad