• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
It's about sequencing, perhaps.

So, for example, imagine the Jets trading Copp for two 2nds, and flipping one of those 2nds to the Kraken to get them to select Beaulieu or Toninato.

Jets lose Copp, but keep Appleton, DeMelo and Stanley, along with a 2nd round pick.

That would be "ok" I guess. The tricky part is knowing that SEA will flip the extra 2nd when the draft comes around. I dont know if theres anything in print they can agree apon until the Jets get that 2nd from the other team. And lets say Jets trade Copp today for 2 2nds. Then when the draft comes around SEA "Changes their minds"? and ask for a 1st?

I'm still hoping the Jets use Copp to parlay a trade involving a new top 4 defenseman coming our way

Last edited:
Reactions: GumbyCan2

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I don't think that's important because then Seattle takes DeMelo or Stanley... unless you value Appleton over one of our defensemen?
it comes down to copp vs appleton and since it doesn't seem like copp will be here for longer than a year I would rather protect appleton, that means copp would have to be exposed and since his value is to high to lose for nothing I'd rather trade him and lose one of stanely/demelo

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think there are a few teams interested in them including Seattle. Knowing the way Chevy works he is trying to get the best deal for him or signed to what they think is reasonable. My guess is he gets traded at the expansion draft and a D comes back our way

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
it comes down to copp vs appleton and since it doesn't seem like copp will be here for longer than a year I would rather protect appleton, that means copp would have to be exposed and since his value is to high to lose for nothing I'd rather trade him and lose one of stanely/demelo

Wouldn't it be better if we protect Copp, and let them take Appleton. We keep Demelo, we keep Stanley and trade Copp after the draft for a player similar to Appleton or a D?

Or Trade/Let SEA take Copp and other assets (picks/prospects) to get a D back from SEA? Then you Keep Stanley, Keep Demelo, Keep Appleton and get a new D without losing a current D.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think there are a few teams interested in them including Seattle. Knowing the way Chevy works he is trying to get the best deal for him or signed to what they think is reasonable. My guess is he gets traded at the expansion draft and a D comes back our way
This makes sense, but assumes that Seattle will be able to select and flip a D thatoves the needle for the Jets.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

I mentioned this today in another thread.

If Copp is traded (and we protect Appleton), the trade compensation that we get for Copp better be superior to what we will be losing to Seattle (one of Stanley and DeMelo). If it is, then maybe we should lose Stanley (so we can bring in another young LHD, like Heinola, and develop him in the NHL), leaving us two spots to fill in the top 4 (1 LHD; 1 RHD).

What is Copp's value on the trade market THIS WEEK?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think there is a chance he doesnt sign until right before the season starts as well

I totally get it if they move him, but someone has to give us what he is worth to us for it to happen.

Our team is looking pretty damn good with some depth in the right places. Not sure we dont just hang on to him and let him go like Frolik backnin the day.

I cant see anyone trading a 1st for him, but if they did we should do it for sure if he isnt locked up at a fair price.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think there is a chance he doesnt sign until right before the season starts as well

I totally get it if they move him, but someone has to give us what he is worth to us for it to happen.

Our team is looking pretty damn good with some depth in the right places. Not sure we dont just hang on to him and let him go like Frolik backnin the day.

I cant see anyone trading a 1st for him, but if they did we should do it for sure if he isnt locked up at a fair price.

Chevy was incredibly unhappy with how the Frolik situation worked out and hasn't made that same type of move since. So I think that option is incredibly unlikely for the Jets.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Copp has arbitration rights, so this will go to arbitration if he's not signed or traded before that. It won't drag on longer than that.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Copp has arbitration rights, so this will go to arbitration if he's not signed or traded before that. It won't drag on longer than that.

He will be signed at one year after arbitration I assume? I guess if they cant work out a deal before then, the writing is on the wall in pen. I see what you mean.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I'm of the opinion that he needs to be dealt before the exansion lists are due and for assets that don't have to be protected or picks. In my way of thinking if next year results in continued poor play, relative to talent of the roster, and/or another ugly early exit it would be time for a look at serious rebuild and yard sale.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

By the time the season is about to start Copp will have already gone to arbitration and will be on his way to UFA status after the season.
Edit: I see Whileee already answered.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Looking through the likely exposure lists, I really don't see any enticing D that seem likely to be exposed. Any guesses as to who might interest the Jets?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm of the opinion that he needs to be dealt before the exansion lists are due and for assets that don't have to be protected or picks. In my way of thinking if next year results in continued poor play, relative to talent of the roster, and/or another ugly early exit it would be time for a look at serious rebuild and yard sale.
The Jets got to the second round of the playoffs and have their young core all now in their primes. The last thing the organization will do is go on a full rebuild. And if Chevy did decide to do tear it all down and start over you trade the likes of Scheifele, Ehlers, Helly, Morrissey etc. so you can get multiple top 5 picks not the middlish pick a 1 year of Copp would get you.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
The Jets got to the second round of the playoffs and have their young core all now in their primes. The last thing the organization will do is go on a full rebuild. And if Chevy did decide to do tear it all down and start over you trade the likes of Scheifele, Ehlers, Helly, Morrissey etc. so you can get multiple top 5 picks not the middlish pick a 1 year of Copp would get you.
Forgot that Scheifele, Wheeler has 3 years left so that would make it two years before the real hard decisions need to be made. One hopes Morrissey can rebound with a decent partner and Lowry doesn't fall apart cause those contracts could be ugly. Anyways I stand corrected:help:

Reactions: surixon

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I noticed reading some of these posts people forget one thing … the most important thing the salary cap.
Do you really think Copp is worth 4-5 million … for a depth player top 9?
Jets need to spend any extra SC on defence not depth players.
Defence wins championships.

Reactions: bennylundholm

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I noticed reading some of these posts people forget one thing … the most important thing the salary cap.

Forwards are a part of team defense, not just defensemen

Copp is a good middle six RW that is also top PK. I wouldnt go as high as $5M. But anything the the low to mid 4's is perfectly reasonable on a 4 or 5 year deal.

We will see what Chevy thinks soon enough

Reactions: surixon

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Lets say Jets offer 3.8 AAV and Copp's wants 5AAV. That's 1.2 million a year difference. Then think what the Jets will lose by not having Copp and his versatility in the lineup. Is that loss worth saving a million? I know you can trade for someone or hope someone within develops but those are always question marks. . For me personally, I'm willing to give him a million a year over what I'm offering to keep him here. A couple of smart moves elsewhere and you can compensate for that overpay. In a nut shell, I can stomach a moderate overpay but not a major overpay.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
My issue with giving copp more than 4.5 long term is he kinda was a non factor after an insanely good start. And it was also against teams we won't play nearly as much. When copp is with Lowry I like his game, when he's not he changes his game and then isn't as productive. Basically our Laine on the pp2 for a while thus year and lots of dry spells. I think he's dealt to Seattle at the expansion draft, Seattle takes an agreed upon player.. they need ppl they can send down so niku Toninato Harkins even all become options.

Maybe it's Copp plus Niku let's say for a dman. Have ppl thought that? Seattle can't have 30 nhl roster players.

Reactions: bennylundholm

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
My issue with giving copp more than 4.5 long term is he kinda was a non factor after an insanely good start. And it was also against teams we won't play nearly as much. When copp is with Lowry I like his game, when he's not he changes his game and then isn't as productive. Basically our Laine on the pp2 for a while thus year and lots of dry spells. I think he's dealt to Seattle at the expansion draft, Seattle takes an agreed upon player.. they need ppl they can send down so niku Toninato Harkins even all become options.

Maybe it's Copp plus Niku let's say for a dman. Have ppl thought that? Seattle can't have 30 nhl roster players.

I would even dangle Kovacevic who is a solid D prospect. Yeah he is "B" prospect, but he is an upper tier "B" IMO. It all depends who we get back of course

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Lets say Jets offer 3.8 AAV and Copp's wants 5AAV. That's 1.2 million a year difference. Then think what the Jets will lose by not having Copp and his versatility in the lineup. Is that loss worth saving a million? I know you can trade for someone or hope someone within develops but those are always question marks. . For me personally, I'm willing to give him a million a year over what I'm offering to keep him here. A couple of smart moves elsewhere and you can compensate for that overpay. In a nut shell, I can stomach a moderate overpay but not a major overpay.

Nah, not interested in making an overpay that impacts our cap for a few years. We should always be looking to get value contracts and not buy high just because he had a career year.

If Copp wants 5M AAV, he's simply not getting it with the Jets.

Right, you can't keep everyone when they start costing a lot near UFA status. I also want the Jets to use their salary cap on defensive upgrades if they are available.

If we can get Copp on a value contract like we typically do for our core players, great, but he's an Overcharge client so I doubt that's in the cards.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If you overpay Copp you set up a culture of overpaying and Copp isn’t the difference between winning and losing.

Reactions: barrywpg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad