What is Copp's future?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A simple, short thread...

Marek suggested that Copp was one of the more interesting players to watch this offseason. So, here's a thread with a poll for speculation and discussion.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'll go aggressive, and guess that he's traded before rosters are frozen on July 17th for the expansion draft.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I voted traded before the expansion draft, as part of a package for a D, or for futures.

If there are no takers, then I think he gets exposed in the expansion draft and likely chosen by Seattle.

EDIT: I'm hoping he doesn't get protected without signing a contract. That would be the worst case scenario.

Reactions: Guffman

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I voted traded before the expansion draft, as part of a package for a D, or for futures.

If there are no takers, then I think he gets exposed in the expansion draft and likely chosen by Seattle.

EDIT: I'm hoping he doesn't get protected without signing a contract. That would be the worst case scenario.
No way he is exposed and the Jets lose him for nothing. Maybe if they have a deal with Seattle...

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
I think he and his agent have probably priced themselves out of Winnipeg, hopefully Chevy pulls another rabbit out of his hat like he did with Trouba, trading him before the XD would probably be the best option if a trade is in the cards

Reactions: Jets 31

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
I posted this about a month ago....and not sure of the route taken to get to this point, but I believe that Copp ends up with Seattle and is the teams first Captain.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Am I the only one that would be perfectly fine losing Copp in the expansion draft, we only have control of him for one more season, I’d rather lose one year of Copp than multiple years of Appleton/Demelo/Stanley.

I would think Coops value would be a 2nd round pick, if that’s all the Jets ended up losing in the expansion draft I would consider that a success.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I posted this about a month ago....and not sure of the route taken to get to this point, but I believe that Copp ends up with Seattle and is the teams first Captain.
What does Winnipeg get in return? Because the Kraken won't get to select Copp for free...

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Worse case scenario is trading Copp before the ED for futures/picks to another team and then losing yet another player (likely a D if Appleton is protected) at the ED. It would like losing 2 players at the ED instead of one. Id be ok with all options except for the second. But "Voted Part of an expansion draft trade with the Kraken". Perhaps a deal can be worked out that we let them get Copp (and maybe another add like a pick) in exchange for one of their D they picked up in the draft from other teams.

The only way I would be ok with option 2 is if when the dusts settles, we don't lose more than one net roster player.

Last edited:

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Am I the only one that would be perfectly fine losing Copp in the expansion draft, we only have control of him for one more season, I’d rather lose one year of Copp than multiple years of Appleton/Demelo/Stanley.

I would think Coops value would be a 2nd round pick, if that’s all the Jets ended up losing in the expansion draft I would consider that a success.
Copp is worth a little bit more than a 2nd, IMO. But a deal with Seattle to leave him exposed for a 2nd would probably be good value.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Copp is worth a little bit more than a 2nd, IMO. But a deal with Seattle to leave him exposed for a 2nd would probably be good value.
I would be fine with allowing Seattle to select Copp in exchange for a 2nd. Basically, it would be Appleton and a 2nd for Copp, which I think is good value.

But I doubt Seattle would do that...

Reactions: drumzan

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
I also look at it as if the Jets trade Copp and get a 2nd and a 3rd (I just can’t see anyone trading a 1st for him, I could be wrong tho) that means they’re also going to lose another player in the expansion draft.

I just dont see how the Jets are a better team within the next 3 years while they’re trying to contend for the Stanley cup by losing Copp+Appleton/Stanley/Demelo.

just doesn’t seem worth losing two players in the expansion draft for a couple picks that might not even make the NHL.

Reactions: Guffman

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I don't know if there's much value in rushing into a Copp trade before the expansion draft deadline just in order to protect Appleton. Sure if the right deal came along you take it... but if deals are dampened due to expansion draft protection slot value, then you might as well wait until after to get the value you want. I say this because in a scenario where you trade Copp before the expansion draft, and protect Appleton, you're pretty much guaranteeing that Seattle selects whichever defenseman you expose. I'd personally rather lose Appleton than Stanley or DeMelo as I believe he is easier to replace in FA. This is obviously moot if the Copp trade is for a Defenseman you're going to need to protect.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't know if there's much value in rushing into a Copp trade before the expansion draft deadline just in order to protect Appleton. Sure if the right deal came along you take it... but if deals are dampened due to expansion draft protection slot value, then you might as well wait until after to get the value you want. I say this because in a scenario where you trade Copp before the expansion draft, and protect Appleton, you're pretty much guaranteeing that Seattle selects whichever defenseman you expose. I'd personally rather lose Appleton than Stanley or DeMelo as I believe he is easier to replace in FA. This is obviously moot if the Copp trade is for a Defenseman you're going to need to protect.
Yes, I think they shouldn't rush and make a bad trade with Copp. I doubt that Chevy would do that. But I also think he's already likely done a lot of groundwork, and knows what Copp's value is and what he's likely to do. Chevy tends to like to work at deadlines, so he might wait until close to one of the deadlines before making a trade, if he doesn't plan to re-sign Copp.

Reactions: surixon

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Eye-opening results, so far. Less than 14% of those who've voted think that Copp will be re-signed by the Jets. That's much lower than I expected...

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Can anyone please explain to me why it makes sense to trade Copp before the expansion draft (unless its with the Kraken??)

Scenarios:

Trade Copp for picks futures. Protect Appleton.
Result: With Appleton off the board, Kraken select a D (Stanley or Demelo)
Jets out Copp and one of Demelo and Stanley.

Trade Copp for a Defenseman.
Result: You likely protect Morrisey, Pionk and the newly acquired D.
Jets out Copp, and either Stanley or Demelo. You gain a new D but lose a current D and lose Copp.

Trade Copp for a forward.
Result: You likely protect the new forward in Copp's place. Likely loose Appleton, could still lose Demelo or Stanley

It makes much more sense to me to either work out a trade with SEA or Trade Copp after the expansion draft.

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
No way he is exposed and the Jets lose him for nothing. Maybe if they have a deal with Seattle...

Let's just clarify this for everyone because I think there is a common misconception that if we don't protect Copp and he's taken by the Kraken, we lose him for nothing. That is absolutely incorrect. The way I would look at it is that we "gain" not losing one of Appleton/DeMelo/Stanley.

If we protect Copp, I think the general consensus is that Appleton gets taken by Seattle. If it's not likely that we're signing Copp long-term (and that needs to be figured out this week before the Expansion Draft), then what do you reasonably think Copp could get in the post expansion trade market?

Could Copp return something better than a 25 year old player on a $900K contract that just took a significant step and produced at a 36 point clip/82 game season? If not, why wouldn't you protect Appleton over Copp?

I think you guys really need to view this the way I portray it because you're coming to wrong conclusions on what it means to not protect Copp.

Edit: My vote on the pool would be to leave Copp exposed and let Seattle take him IF we can't resign Copp (and I don't think we can at Overcharge prices)

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Can anyone please explain to me why it makes sense to trade Copp before the expansion draft (unless its with the Kraken??)

Scenarios:

Trade Copp for picks futures. Protect Appleton.
Result: With Appleton off the board, Kraken select a D (Stanley or Demelo)
Jets out Copp and one of Demelo and Stanley.

Trade Copp for Defenseman.
Result: You like protect Morrisey, Pionk and the newly acquired D.
Jets out Copp, and either Stanley or Demolo. You gain a new D but lose a current D and lose Copp.

Trade Copp for a forward.
Result: You likely protect the new forward in Copp's place. Likely loose Appleton, could still lose Demelo or Stanley

It makes much more sense to me to either work out a trade with SEA or Trade Copp after the expansion draft.
It's about sequencing, perhaps.

So, for example, imagine the Jets trading Copp for two 2nds, and flipping one of those 2nds to the Kraken to get them to select Beaulieu or Toninato.

Jets lose Copp, but keep Appleton, DeMelo and Stanley, along with a 2nd round pick.

Reactions: GaryPoppins
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad