What is Copp's future?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
Copp is as good as gone. Some posters here need to accept that.

Will be an interesting next couple of weeks for Jets fans.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
If you overpay Copp you set up a culture of overpaying and Copp isn’t the difference between winning and losing.

We overpayed for Kulikov. I kind of see it that way (even though it didn't quite work out with him). I'd gladly do the same with Copp (up to a limit). It shows a culture of showing some loyalty to our home grown players. I think the optics of nickeling and diming is a worse perceived culture IMO. I'm not saying make it a habit. I've seen enough of Copp that a 1 million overplay is palatable IMO. I realize I'm probably in the minority.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flair Hay

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We overpayed for Kulikov. I kind of see it that way (even though it didn't quite work out with him). I'd gladly do the same with Copp (up to a limit). It shows a culture of showing some loyalty to our home grown players. I think the optics of nickeling and diming is a worse perceived culture IMO. I'm not saying make it a habit. I've seen enough of Copp that a 1 million overplay is palatable IMO. I realize I'm probably in the minority.

It's the nature of the cap that depth players tend to leave when they become too expensive. It isn't just a Winnipeg issue but a league wide trend.

I'd certainly like to keep Copp but with the year he just had he's going to cost north of $5 million to retain and that is just too much for the role he's likely to full for us here.

The Jets tend to have a salary structure and stick too it so I don't expect we'll see an overpay for him.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
It's the nature of the cap that depth players tend to leave when they become too expensive. It isn't just a Winnipeg issue but a league wide trend.

I'd certainly like to keep Copp but with the year he just had he's going to cost north of $5 million to retain and that is just too much for the role he's likely to full for us here.

The Jets tend to have a salary structure and stick too it so I don't expect we'll see an overpay for him.

I would probably max the offer right at 5 million but not more than that.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Even if the Jets and Copp can agree on contract terms, I think they would really like to keep Appleton. That's probably a big factor in their deliberations.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Copp is as good as gone. Some posters here need to accept that.

Will be an interesting next couple of weeks for Jets fans.

You may be right. Maybe I'm too optimistic, the writing is certainly on the wall to waltz right to UFA payday.

Reactions: GNP

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont

It needs to go both ways as well though. Overcharge is his agent and he strongarmed Chevy into a single trade to NY with Trouba. I’m sure this is the same angle he is going to pull with Copp. If Copp doesn’t want to take a “somewhat” of a hometown discount as the so called loyalty, then I say deal him before his agent pulls the same shenanigans!

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I've always expected us to extend him, although I'm starting to think he might get traded before 7/17. There was that whole issue last time he needed a contract, and I'm sure he'll want a big raise this time around.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Ultimately comes down to this:

If Copp wants out and Appleton wants to stay but you keep Copp, that isn’t ideal.

I’d send an extra asset with Copp for a solid D who is expansion exempt. They’re out there.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I posted this about a month ago....and not sure of the route taken to get to this point, but I believe that Copp ends up with Seattle and is the teams first Captain.

Maybe he goes to Seattle but I would be stunned if he became captain (ever, never mind the first year)

Reactions: Mathil8

Yogi141

Feb 24, 2018
I would probably max the offer right at 5 million but not more than that.
You can't pay $5 million for a third liner. If you are going to pay that for Copp then he has to slot into the second line spot vacated by Stastny.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
You can't pay $5 million for a third liner. If you are going to pay that for Copp then he has to slot into the second line spot vacated by Stastny.

But is he really a traditional 3rd liner? He took a big step last year with a career year.. And the "3rd line" is often first off the bench and often matches with other teams best players. Major reason Jets were able to shut down McDavid.

I think we as fans sometimes get hung up on perceived labels. 2nd line, 3rd line, 1A,1B, etc. Our 3rd line is better than alot of other teams 2nd lines IMO.

So question for you, if Copp ends up in the top 6 in SEA or on another team, is he then "suddenly" worth 5 million?

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I see trading Copp before July 17th leading the way, but this option seems unsettling to me unless it is for a must keep player. If Copp is gone we protect Apples and then likely lose DeMelo or Stanley. Since I believe Chevy protects Stanley over DeMelo, we are then down Copp and DeMelo following the ED. That is a pretty big hit so if it is a futures move we likely are just treading water next season around the bubble while moving through another season of Scheifele, Ehlers and Helly's prime.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I see trading Copp before July 17th leading the way, but this option seems unsettling to me unless it is for a must keep player. If Copp is gone we protect Apples and then likely lose DeMelo or Stanley. Since I believe Chevy protects Stanley over DeMelo, we are then down Copp and DeMelo following the ED. That is a pretty big hit so if it is a futures move we likely are just treading water next season around the bubble while moving through another season of Scheifele, Ehlers and Helly's prime.

I think some people who voted for before the expansion maybe conflated it with trading with SEA?

I can't believe most people on this board are ok with the Jets losing 2 roster players. I think most are assuming/hoping for a big name or a flipping of assets as part of the equation somewhere along the line.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
But is he really a traditional 3rd liner? He took a big step last year with a career year.. And the "3rd line" is often first off the bench and often matches with other teams best players. Major reason Jets were able to shut down McDavid.

I think we as fans sometimes get hung up on perceived labels. 2nd line, 3rd line, 1A,1B, etc. Our 3rd line is better than alot of other teams 2nd lines IMO.

So question for you, if Copp ends up in the top 6 in SEA or on another team, is he then "suddenly" worth 5 million?

This is really the crux of the issue, did he take a big step or did he just have a big year and will revert back to what he has been most of his career (A very good two/way third line player).

I know people think he is versatile but I think that really only applies to the bottom 6. He hasn't really ever looked right when he has been asked to fill in up the lineup and really shouldn't be used with highly skilled players.

He scored at a pretty unsustainable rate on the PP this past year which boasted his stats. His 7.51 P/60 put him second on the team after Ehlers and he shot 25% on the PP. His numbers last year placed him dead last among PP regular players.

We need to be careful here, he is going to want to get paid based on a year where things really broke right for him on the PP and on 5 on 5.

I think he is likely to drop back to being a 30 to 35 point player next year and even when factoring in his two-way game is that worth $5 plus million. I like the player a lot and would definitely like to keep him but not at that cap hit.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Its why I think barring "trading him" to Seattle for one of the dmen they get I see us protecting him and then dealing him at the draft. But hey they may pick the dmen even if Appelton is available so its not like dealing him or not dealing him prior to the draft may impact what Seattle does.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Its why I think barring "trading him" to Seattle for one of the dmen they get I see us protecting him and then dealing him at the draft. But hey they may pick the dmen even if Appelton is available so its not like dealing him or not dealing him prior to the draft may impact what Seattle does.
Agreed. I just don't like the idea of losing 2 important pieces when we only have to lose 1. I'm also doubtful that there are many teams looking to take on players they have to protect before the ED, unless they can move someone the other way they care less about protecting.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed. I just don't like the idea of losing 2 important pieces when we only have to lose 1. I'm also doubtful that there are many teams looking to take on players they have to protect before the ED, unless they can move someone the other way they care less about protecting.

Agreed, it would likely have to be for a dmen that a team doesn't want to protect. Now that Minny has dealt with their expansion draft clutter I don't see a clear target out there. Maybe I will go look on capfriendly and see who might be able to be had. I wonder if we could pry Fabbro out of Nashville for Copp if they want to go 7-3-1.

Also wonder if we maybe could get a Scandella or Dillion for a Copp plus package to Seattle.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
It needs to go both ways as well though. Overcharge is his agent and he strongarmed Chevy into a single trade to NY with Trouba. I’m sure this is the same angle he is going to pull with Copp. If Copp doesn’t want to take a “somewhat” of a hometown discount as the so called loyalty, then I say deal him before his agent pulls the same shenanigans!

KO works for his client and abides by their wishes. Trouba clearly wanted out & his agent delivered.

Copp is perfectly happy in Winnipeg. This conversation wouldn't even be going on if it wasn't for the Seattle expansion.

Reactions: GNP and Flair Hay

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Well the assumption is that we would trade Copp and get something in return, not just throw him into the wind.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
Assuming Copp won't sign, its a simple matter of determining his trade value and weighing that against the players you want to keep.

A lot of posters think Copp is worth a 2nd. Would you trade Appleton, Demelo or Stanley for a 2nd? If not, we should expose Copp assuming no mutually agreeable side deals.

Reactions: Imcanadianeh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig