Confirmed with Link: Copp + 6th to NYR for 1st + 2nd + barron +5th

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
it would be met if he got injured in the 8th game and they lost the next 4.

8/12*100 = 66%

Yes, that would have been another way to meet the condition. But, as it is, there is NO circumstance possible where he would not have met the condition. All hypotheticals are covered. So the condition is met no matter what happens from here on.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
A first round pick the NYR paid, and a 2nd I believe is a very steep price to pay, to sign, and way overpay for Copp. Copp is a good solid player, but the Rangers will pay a big price for him, and Overhart will see to that. Good job Chevy on this deal. I would think the Rangers will sign Copp for in around $ 5.5 mil per year, and that's way more than the Jets would have given him.
I think paying a 1st, 2nd Baron and a swap of a 5th for a 6th rounder to make a confernces finals appearance is one that a GM would make any day of the week, every season. A win-win for both teams. The Rangers are under no obligation to sign Copp.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
A first round pick the NYR paid, and a 2nd I believe is a very steep price to pay, to sign, and way overpay for Copp. Copp is a good solid player, but the Rangers will pay a big price for him, and Overhart will see to that. Good job Chevy on this deal. I would think the Rangers will sign Copp for in around $ 5.5 mil per year, and that's way more than the Jets would have given him.
They don't have to sign Copp, they can let him walk. Giving up a 1st + 2nd + a nothing special prospect isn't a bad price at all if you make the conference finals and the player you traded for is contributing.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don't really see Copp at 5-5.5m an overpay. If he signs at that price he will be played as a top-6er. And over the past two seasons, with a majority of the time as a top-6er, he's 77th in scoring for forwards. Seems like stone-hands Copp meshes fine with other skilled players, and those stone hands produces similarly to guys like Boeser, Hall, Nelson, Horvat etc. He isn't going to a big contract and reverted back to grinding the game a way as he used to with Lowry putting up sub-30 pts.
Then add in his versatility at C or wing, and capabilities on the PK.
I wouldn't sign him for anything more than 4 years probably though.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
So if the Jets trade the 2nd acquired in the Copp trade, does the new team inherent the condition? I.e they can take blues pick this year or defer to the Rangers pick next year?

Reactions: pateramus

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No, sorry can’t do it. Won’t cheer for Evander Kane getting to the Stanley Cup Final! Don’t want him getting even that close because you just never know what can happen.

Gotta put the hate aside for the betterment of the pick!

Reactions: GNP

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Gotta put the hate aside for the betterment of the pick!
I don't even hate Evander Kane. I mean he didn't want to be in Winnipeg and he acted like a jerk here, but he's not the only one to want out of Winnipeg or to be a jerk.

Guy's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder, but I look at it this way. His dad is from the Prestons I believe, outside of Halifax, and anyone I met from the Prestons had a chip on their shoulder because of the race issues in that province.

I liked Kane when we first got our team, because he pummelled Matt Cooke.

And for me if I have to choose between a Canadian team or a team that moved from Canada, that's a no brainer. Add the Rangers to the list, who always get the breaks, and a team that had to cheat to win the Cup, well I'll pull for the underdog each time.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I don't even hate Evander Kane. I mean he didn't want to be in Winnipeg and he acted like a jerk here, but he's not the only one to want out of Winnipeg or to be a jerk.

Guy's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder, but I look at it this way. His dad is from the Prestons I believe, outside of Halifax, and anyone I met from the Prestons had a chip on their shoulder because of the race issues in that province.

I liked Kane when we first got our team, because he pummelled Matt Cooke.

And for me if I have to choose between a Canadian team or a team that moved from Canada, that's a no brainer. Add the Rangers to the list, who always get the breaks, and a team that had to cheat to win the Cup, well I'll pull for the underdog each time.

thats totally fair.

I hope the oilers lose and get swept every day of the week by any team except the leafs. if they ever met the leafs in the SCF then I hope both teams lose by forfeit in game 7 in 28OT from equal parts suck and exhaustion

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think paying a 1st, 2nd Baron and a swap of a 5th for a 6th rounder to make a confernces finals appearance is one that a GM would make any day of the week, every season. A win-win for both teams. The Rangers are under no obligation to sign Copp.

They don't have to sign Copp, they can let him walk. Giving up a 1st + 2nd + a nothing special prospect isn't a bad price at all if you make the conference finals and the player you traded for is contributing.
Well, I guess you guys have a point, when you think about it. Just in gate revenues at $ 200.00 per ticket, you hall in about $ 3.6 mil per game, ( $200 x 18,000) and over 8 games, that's $ 24 million in revenues. Looking at it that way, you would be right. You would think the "only way" the NYR would make that deal is if they made the Conference final, otherwise no way. I can't believe they would make that deal straight up, without knowing how far they'd go in the playoffs.

You would think the NYR would have thought, hey, Copp is walking anyways away from the Jets and Chevy has no real bargaining power, and will take the best deal he can get. With that in mind, I would have thought they would have tried to save that 1st pick, and still get Copp, and maybe they could have ?

In the end, like one of you said, it's really a win win situation for both teams, and you also have to consider Copp is just a rental for them, and their not obligated to sign him if they think he's asking for too much, but I think they will sign him, and it will be for over $ 5 mil per year, but that's just a guess on my part.

No matter how you look at it, from the Jet's perspective it's a big win deal, for a guy that was walking out the door anyways -- just a gift.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
For anyone else I definitely would.

I don't think the Oil stand a chance against the Bolts anyways. Think of it this way. Someone will massively overpay Kane with term this summer and his antics will plague yet another team long term.

And we get a better shot of picking who we want. It's a win-win-lose scenario.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Jiricek might be off the board by then.

Might. I'm assuming Nemec goes before him and that this draft will be more unpredictable than normal, so he might still be there. Either of those 2 are the players I would trade up for. I don't think I would trade up for anyone else.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Might. I'm assuming Nemec goes before him and that this draft will be more unpredictable than normal, so he might still be there. Either of those 2 are the players I would trade up for. I don't think I would trade up for anyone else.

I think both defencemen will go quite high in this draft. I'd be surprised if they last beyond pick 6.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I think both defencemen will go quite high in this draft. I'd be surprised if they last beyond pick 6.

That's my feeling as well. Similar to the 2020 draft.

I know I've been toying with the idea of trying to trade for Seattle's 4OA pick, but the cost would probably be astronomical.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Here's the guy... :sarcasm:

hVH_284a.jpg

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That's my feeling as well. Similar to the 2020 draft.

I know I've been toying with the idea of trying to trade for Seattle's 4OA pick, but the cost would probably be astronomical.

Yeah I don't see Seattle wanting to deviate from just building up their pool. They have the 4th overall pick which I think they will likely use on Jiricek or Nemec. They also have 4 - 2nd rounders, so I can't see them wanting to move that 4th overall pick for anything short of a stupidly massive overpay. No chance in hell they want to move it to us for 14 and 29-32 when they already have a tonne of draft capital. They are going to want to pick an impact player with that pick. This is likely the draft that they hope they snag their #1RHD and then build out the rest of their roster around Beniers and the rest of their pool.

It's pretty likely they are terrible again next season as well so they will probably move on from some upcoming UFA's like Donksoi and Soucy and possibly even guys with two years left like Eberle, Dreidger and Wennberg at the deadline to acquire more draft capital for 2023. There is no chance at all that they are looking to compete next year so they probably won't be interested in anything we have to offer.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Sounds like a player that could take my breath away. I'll bet we would cruise to a lot of wins with him as our top gun on D. :nod:
As long as he isn't another Phillippe Myers. The Jets have only drafted 2 d-men out of the Q that I can remember, Kostalek and Luke Green. If I'm a betting man they are looking in a different direction.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You're probably right since there are not a lot of highly rated Dmen this year and RHD especially are in demand.

But if one of them drops to 10, I would trade up to get him. I might even pay the price to move up further to get one of them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad