TSN: Cooke - Suspended 7 games.

Rancid McGoiter

Still metal.
Feb 1, 2005
Can't fight, no honesty, no character...

He's just a guy that has no other purpose than to hurt people. There are giant cement-heads like John Scott that don't know any better, and there are guys like Cooke that sneakily try to injure people.

I like that he pretends that wasn't intentional.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Throw the book at him, or give Patrick Roy 10 minutes with him in a locked room with no cameras.

I can understand why the Bickell knee on Sobotka gets no discipline. Bickell is a player with zero indication or history he would commit an act on purpose. When he did it, fans were pissed but it came as a surprise.

Cooke has no such excuse. He ruined Savard's career, he altered the course of Lecavalier's career and may have damaged young Tyson Barrie's career, which looks like it could be a damn good one if he recovers.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Bob McKenzie saying they already diagnosed a torn MCL. Out 4-6 weeks.

This sucks.

Cooke sucks and inthinknhe should be suspended. His dirty trick used to be knees before he started in heads.

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
Throw the book at him, or give Patrick Roy 10 minutes with him in a locked room with no cameras.

I can understand why the Bickell knee on Sobotka gets no discipline. Bickell is a player with zero indication or history he would commit an act on purpose. When he did it, fans were pissed but it came as a surprise.

Cooke has no such excuse. He ruined Savard's career, he altered the course of Lecavalier's career and may have damaged young Tyson Barrie's career, which looks like it could be a damn good one if he recovers.

No, I want cameras - that would be a most entertaining ...

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World

The list is longer than that actually. Karlsson hasn't been the same since the 'accidental' stomp on his achilles. Don't get me wrong, he's still good, but in the games I was able to watch him this year he was not the "OMG look at him go" skater he was before that injury. As for the Av's, at minimum Cooke has altered the course for the Av's this year. Barrie eats up huge minutes on D for them and is a large part of the reason for the success the team has had.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
As long as he's suspended for something I'm good. I don't have the time or desire to whip myself into a frenzy over something I can't control.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
So the POS saw his shadow and revealed himself again?
It was only a matter of time.
The guy should be banned before he kills someone.....as he has already ruined careers.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
YES

New Sheriff in town. Shanny would probably have given 5 or 6.

He'll get no less then 10 now.

I hope this is true. I thought Shanahan came in guns blazing and made some good calls, but the. He went soft on the suspensions. I much prefer to err on the side of too many games in these cases. We all thought the Torres hit on Hossa was the start of serious suspensions to come and it never happened.

At some point they need to take a very hard stance on these plays.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Didnt see this anywhere on the board but our beloved Matt Cooke took out Barrie with his knee.

Of course Cooke should be suspended. Actually isnt there a point where you gotta say enough and just ban the guy from hockey?

Definitely get the rest of the playoffs IMO but I would give him one season at least.

If this was already discussed in another thread, apologies.

Link

as Chuck stated below, probably won`t get more than 5, in reality, he shouldn`t be permitted to see the ice for 10-15....brings absolutely nothing positive to the game

Quintal has a chance early to exact justice, problem is, this one is an easy one, multiple offender, easy to justify lengthy suspension. I want to see what he does with a first timer, THAT, is what would separate him from Shanny. I didn`t think the Seabrook suspension was anywhere near long enough

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
No. He deserves a beatdown.

Refs just need to look the other way when players treat him like he does to them. I can't stand Avery. But, when he came back to NY they pretty much let other players beat the hell out of him and didn't call anything. I'd like to see Cooke get the same treatment. Can't ban him from the league. But, you can let the boys rough him up. And, if Minnesota or some other team is stupid enough to pay him. So be it.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I hope this is true. I thought Shanahan came in guns blazing and made some good calls, but the. He went soft on the suspensions. I much prefer to err on the side of too many games in these cases. We all thought the Torres hit on Hossa was the start of serious suspensions to come and it never happened.

At some point they need to take a very hard stance on these plays.

You're right about Shanahan. And I have a theory on why - but just a theory.

The new CBA gave the NHLPA a new power, one that provided the player (and the PA) a new format for appeal. And rather than be challenged by that process, dished out suspensions that the PA may find more "favorable". Save the Thornton suspension.

But it's the playoffs now, and suspensions are a different breed now. First and foremost, there is no lost salary by the player because players receive no salary during the playoffs. And Cooke has the required number of games to get his name on the Cup (should they win) and receive all playoff bonuses (not subject to loss because of a suspension).

So the usual purpose of an appeal, (that the player committing the offense doesn't lose as much money) goes totally out the window in this case.

Last edited:

member 96824

Cooke's appeal of "But there are too many healthy players in the second round" probably wouldn't stand very well anyways.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
some are saying he has no history due to his last issue being over 18 months ago according to the new CBA

(i have not verified this)

pathetic if true

Biggest myth about the suspension process there is. :shakehead The language very clearly states that the length of time since the past infraction (aka the "repeat offender clause") ONLY applies to how much fine can be assessed per the rules in the CBA. This is because the CBA lays out an algorithm for calculating fines according to the "repeat offender" status. This status has absolutely no bearing on the length of suspension, a fact that has been stated numerous times by Shanahan, the most recently being Neal's knee in the head to Marchand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad