TSN: Cooke - Suspended 7 games.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Section 6 of the CBA at Exhibit 8 provides a list of the factors the league will consider when determining supplementary discipline:
6. Factors In Determining Supplementary Discipline

In deciding on supplementary discipline, the following factors will be taken into account:

(a) The type of conduct involved: conduct outside of NHL rules; excessive force in contact otherwise permitted by NHL rules; and careless or accidental conduct. Players are responsible for the consequences of their actions.

(b) Injury to the opposing Player(s) involved in the incident.
(c) The status of the offender, and specifically whether he is a "first" or "repeat" offender. Players who repeatedly violate NHL rules will be more severely punished for each new violation.

(d) The situation of the game in which the incident occurred: late in the game, lopsided score, prior events in the game.

(e) Such other factors as may be appropriate in the circumstances.
As you can see, section 6(e) provides the decision maker with the discretion to consider factors not listed in subsections 6(a) to (d). So that means that the factors set out in Section 6 are non-exhaustive.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
You can remove a player from the Penguins but can't remove the Penguins from the player.

Normally I wouldn't hesitate to pile on with the Pittsburgh hate but Cooke was a dirtbag before Pittsburgh, in Pittsburgh, and now post Pittsburgh. Although I will always remember him as a Penguin from Bruins games vs him and the Pens even though he spent more years in Vancouver. Actually now that I think of it his playing style fits perfect in both those organizations.

rpontbriand

Jul 1, 2003
I honestly see the turd getting dropped by some nut fan in an airport. Not proposing that ... just saying ... :)

rpontbriand

Jul 1, 2003
As a Bruins fan (born and raised in Nashua, NH) and Avs (have lived in Colorado for over 15 years) I want this guy hung by the balls!

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
just once I wish one of his employers would have the guts to just ****ing bench him themselves.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Well, he's the scum of the Earth- and I mean that with sincerity- so yeah he deserves to be suspended.

MaritimeHockeyNut

Rehabilitated Troll
Nov 26, 2010
Maritimes
He has to get the harshest suspension to date .. honestly.. doesnt he? 40 games?
I would just add up all the games players have missed as a direct result because of him subtract all the games he was actually suspended and give him the difference. that would be what.. 2-300 games?

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Rest of the playoffs +82 games. Give the treatment MLB is giving A-Rod. I know it won't happen but that's what I'd like to see. Realistically 3-5 games I think.

boston77

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
You guys are delusional. He'll probably get three games, no chance over five.

Given his track record 5 games is a minimum even though the hit itself was not egregious it was dangerous and a guy like him should be on his best behaviour. I don't know how long his deal is in Minny but I don't think he gets another one in the League....

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
You know, most knee-on knee incidents come on east-to-west plays with a puck carrier.

Guys skate north-south at a defenseman a hundred times a game as they make a pass, and somehow players always manage to avoid that.

Intentional. And a young guy gets robbed of the chance to play spring hockey because of it.

But hey, Cooke works with a charity or something off the ice, so he's swell. Or whatever the crock of **** line is.

rpontbriand

Jul 1, 2003
I never thought I could hate a fan base more than I do the Canucks. Minnesota has proven me wrong.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
ibgnF2J3TRCw43.jpg

This one gave me a good laugh...thanks Camfan.

As far as cooke goes, The NHL should have kicked him out of the league years ago. Doesn't matter what team he plays for, his intent to injure other players remains the same, over and over and over again.

Like LF said "time to take out the trash"....or some western justice!

Last edited:

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Very glad an in-person hearing has been called. I wonder if it will be significantly over 5 to send a message? It cannot help him that just last month he tried to take out Nichushkin's knee with another extremely obvious dirty play.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
This is the stuff that fans and the media should get worked up about. But why bother? This guy should have already been gone. Can anyone even enumerate at this point how many players he's seriously injured? He's the poster child for NHL supplementary discipline, not to mention actual rule changes in the game regarding how and when you can hit someone.

Seriously, how many years did the NHL exist before they actually needed a rule telling players that lining up your shoulder w/ someone's chops is a serious infraction? A lot of really, really dirty players played this game, but few of them can say they were actually so dirty, they literally effected the rules like Matt Cooke.

His reputation should sink him for the playoffs. Further, make GM's think twice regarding whether or not to take the risk of giving him a contract. But instead, like most in here are saying, they'll probably **** this opportunity up.

In a perfect world he'd of been tossed out of the league for cutting Karlsson's Achilles's. Yeah, I don't buy the accident story. Anyone else, absolutely. Some deserve the benefit of the doubt, others do not. This ****in guy? There is something seriously wrong w/ him. Like his pets went missing when he was a child kind of wrong.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
People wanted to believe this guy changed from the heart.

He has a history of kneeing being one of his many offenses on players. In this play tonight I don't know how it could possibly be more blatant or intentional unless he actually took a bat and bashed his knee. There is no defense for what he did tonight.

I have no idea how there can possibly still be fans out there defending this guy. It's disappointing to see so many Minny fans blindly excusing this guy now that he plays for their team. I feel bad for the great Minny fans who know what this guy is all about and have to be associated with it.

I hope he's really screwed himself with this one and the league actually nails him with something susbtantial. He's an embarrassment to the league and the game and should have been tossed out a long time ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad