Contract negotiations not going to Markov's taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

poytri

Dec 24, 2013
Mtl
You pretend like crazy trades at the deadline never happened..

And Washington traded Forsberg for freaking Erat. Now logic would have you think that they won't make such a terrible mistake again. But we also know the trade deadline is where the least logical trades happen.
Just look at Murray, two 2nd round picks for Murray..Ridiculous.

Kuznetsov is a level beyond Forsberg though.

Also he's coming over to NA to play with Ovi next year, so bet your ass if he SOMEHOW ends up in Montreal, he's gonna stay in Russia.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Kuznetsov is a level beyond Forsberg though.

Also he's coming over to NA to play with Ovi next year, so bet your ass if he SOMEHOW ends up in Montreal, he's gonna stay in Russia.

And Markov is a big notch over Erat too.

I'm not saying we'll get either of those guys, just that it isn't as far fetched as one can think.

poytri

Dec 24, 2013
Mtl
And Markov is a big notch over Erat too.

I'm not saying we'll get either of those guys, just that it isn't as far fetched as one can think.

Why keep bringing Erat into this? As if Erat before going to Washington was a crap player.

Erat was 31 and a consistent 50 points winger. Markov now is a reliable 35 defenseman rental who's getting slower.

Markov now and Erat then have pretty much the same value although Markov can get a little more. And by little more I mean a pick, not a better prospect than what Forsberg is.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I see so much Markov to Washington talk (I guess because of that famous picture of he and Ovechkin in a club). WHY!! would Washington want to trade youngsters for him? Why would they target him at all? They have the #5 PP without Markov. They're 4th in the conference in goals scored.

I think all you guys who covet Kuznetsov and Burakowsky need to come to terms with the fact that Washington just doesn't need Markov.

? One of Capitals biggest weakness has always been defence. I still don't understand why they dont go big on d'S when it's UFA signing time.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
You pretend like crazy trades at the deadline never happened..

And Washington traded Forsberg for freaking Erat. Now logic would have you think that they won't make such a terrible mistake again. But we also know the trade deadline is where the least logical trades happen.
Just look at Murray, two 2nd round picks for Murray..Ridiculous.

If GMGM was to trade us Kuznetsov + a bag of chips for Markov, I'd think that he'd gone completely ****ing bonkers too (though I wouldn't complain ;)) or that Bergevin is a jedi

poytri

Dec 24, 2013
Mtl
If GMGM was to trade us Kuznetsov + a bag of chips for Markov, I'd think that he'd gone completely ****ing bonkers too or that Bergevin is a jedi (though I wouldn't complain ;))

Finally some common sense in the boards.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Why keep bringing Erat into this? As if Erat before going to Washington was a crap player.

Erat was 31 and a consistent 50 points winger. Markov now is a reliable 35 defenseman rental who's getting slower.

Markov now and Erat then have pretty much the same value although Markov can get a little more. And by little more I mean a pick, not a better prospect than what Forsberg is.

Well unfortunately, we're not the one dictating the value here. Everybody agrees that Markov is still a very serviceable dman. So he definitely has value. How much of it though, will depends on the demand. If LA-Wsh-Ana are in an auction in order to get his services, one will have to outbid the other. So I think it's pretty pointless to argue about just how much value he'll have.
All that we need to know is that he's still a very serviceable guy, that teams would surely be interested, and that it's rather a common thing for teams to overpay for rentals at the deadline. So it isn't entirely crazy to think Markov could fetch us a very interesting return.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I think this would be the optimal time to trade Markov. He won't be playing better next year and he'd fetch less at the trading deadline. The Habs might suffer in the 2014 playoffs from his absence but they'd be better off in years to come.

Andrei. you've been a great player for the Habs but the time has come.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Markov is at his highest value now. Expect his value to decline from now on. Trade him at the deadline. Dmen usually fetch great returns at the deadline.

poytri

Dec 24, 2013
Mtl
Would a 1st, Beaulieu + Collberg get Kuznetsov?

There's the risk if you trade for him, he might never come over. If he ever come to North America, which he said to be next season, it's to play with Ovechkin in Washington.

And personally if I'm McPhee, I'm not even doing it. Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kuznetsov could be pretty unfair next year.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
There's the risk if you trade for him, he might never come over. If he ever come to North America, which he said to be next season, it's to play with Ovechkin in Washington.

And personally if I'm McPhee, I'm not even doing it. Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kuznetsov could be pretty unfair next year.

Washington would still have a problem they've had for years: lack of scoring depth. After the first line, there's not much there.

I wouldn't even take the risk of trading for Kuznetsov though.

RE: Markov, I don't want him for three years. The year-by-year approach is best, IMO, but his value is the highest it'll be for the rest of his career. We're not winning this year. I think it'd be smart to trade him and acquire assets for him, imo.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

yeah i should've said it's understood that he'd still come here if we traded for him.

that said, would you do that trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad