Contract negotiations not going to Markov's taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
IMO no chance they trade Wilson.

I could see something like Troy Brouwer and one of their young RD for Andrei Markov with re-sign assurance though.

Why would they trade Brouwer who is a key player NOW and not Wilson who is a 4th liner and maynever be an better than a 3rd liner?

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
No way in hell Bergevin trade Markov to one of the 4-5 team breathing down our necks for a playoffs spot.

Also we don't need 4th liners, we need a 1st line RW or bluechip prospects.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Why would they trade Brouwer who is a key player NOW and not Wilson who is a 4th liner and maynever be an better than a 3rd liner?

Because he's a NHL-ready top prospect for them and be the future Brouwer-esque size/grit presence while they have no one like Markov coming up in the system?

Brouwer is soon 29 years old and currently 7th on the team among forwards in scoring (with half the points coming on the PP). ES wise, he's 9th among forwards. He's not really having as good as a season to make him some sort of untouchable piece IMO. Then again, I'm not as familiar with the Capitals as some others.

Seems common sense for the Caps to deal Brouwer WAY before Wilson but they did trade Forsberg for Erat so who knows..

PricePkPatch*

Because he's a NHL-ready top prospect for them and be the future Brouwer-esque size/grit presence while they have no one like Markov coming up in the system?

Brouwer is soon 29 years old and currently 7th on the team among forwards in scoring (with half the points coming on the PP). ES wise, he's 9th among forwards. He's not really having as good as a season to make him some sort of untouchable piece IMO. Then again, I'm not as familiar with the Capitals as some others.

Seems common sense for the Caps to deal Brouwer WAY before Wilson but they did trade Forsberg for Erat so who knows..

I don't care about the Caps' potential asset management. The entire point of them trading FOR Markov is to make the playoffs; a desperation move akin to us acquiring Kaberle. They are NOT going to trade away a producing asset.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I don't care about the Caps' potential asset management. The entire point of them trading FOR Markov is to make the playoffs; a desperation move akin to us acquiring Kaberle. They are NOT going to trade away a producing asset.

I think a hockey trade is much more realistic than a GM being an idiot IMO. Just because it happened a couple times doesn't mean the out of playoffs Capitals would move their top prospects for a 35+ player. That type of stupidity is rare from teams with a depleting prospect pool and out of playoffs.

IMO some of you are overrating Brouwer as well...he's more role player than key player. There's nothing suggesting Caps won't try to use him as trade bait to improve their team. Was going to check their board to see how their fans view him and apparently someone was way ahead of me: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1602587

If Habs and Caps were to make a trade involving Markov, I think Brouwer is someone that will be involved in the return. He fits the grinding size criteria and considering Bergevin's time in Chicago he might have some personal knowledge of him too. Capitals have organizational depth in RW with Wilson. IMO it's realistic.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No way in hell Bergevin trade Markov to one of the 4-5 team breathing down our necks for a playoffs spot.

Also we don't need 4th liners, we need a 1st line RW or bluechip prospects.

I agree. The fact that we're in position to nab a playoff spot means that we won't necessarily be fielding the best offers for Markov.

Ultimately, I have a feeling they'll agree, maybe down the middle, to a 2-year deal.

If not, then rather than give him away for undesirable assets, I guess they're going to take their chances and hold on to him. There is always the usual "what kind of message does it send to the dressing room" quandary when trading a high profile player like Markov, without getting one back.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Kuznetsov/Burakovsky and a 1st is a deal for me

Burakovsky and a 1st for Markov sounds like an amazing deal for the habs.

The Montreal Canadiens appear to be moving in the right direction with veteran defenseman Andrei Markov on a new contract extension.
Talks between the two sides are ongoing, as the Habs hope to have him locked up to a new deal in the near future. http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl140225.html

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
No matter how you slice it, Emelin was good last year and played RHside.

Good is relative, and I'm not slicing it in any way, you can look up the actual data or re-watch those games if you're anti-stats. You'll notice we weren't getting dominated.

XxCanadiensxX

Jan 8, 2013
Damn, there are actually people beside abe lincoln who think we can land Kuznetsov! And a 1st along!

You guys are out of your minds.

I didn't just make up that offer. If you look in the previous posts in this thread ESPN radio mentioned it.

Although I do agree, Kuznetsov himself is quite an offer.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Damn, there are actually people beside abe lincoln who think we can land Kuznetsov! And adding a 1st along!

You guys are out of your minds.

You pretend like crazy trades at the deadline never happened..

And Washington traded Forsberg for freaking Erat. Now logic would have you think that they won't make such a terrible mistake again. But we also know the trade deadline is where the least logical trades happen.
Just look at Murray, two 2nd round picks for Murray..Ridiculous.

hockey_nut

Mar 19, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
TFP's decent, and Bob McKenzie also said Edler's out there and teams are calling about him.

Habs were one of the teams rumored to be going after Edler at the draft. I'd love to get him, but I imagine the price is too high for us.

Deaner

Oct 9, 2011
I see so much Markov to Washington talk (I guess because of that famous picture of he and Ovechkin in a club). WHY!! would Washington want to trade youngsters for him? Why would they target him at all? They have the #5 PP without Markov. They're 4th in the conference in goals scored.

I think all you guys who covet Kuznetsov and Burakowsky need to come to terms with the fact that Washington just doesn't need Markov.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad