Contract negotiations not going to Markov's taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

PricePkPatch*

I just heard in Les Amateurs de Sport, on 98,5.

Michel Villeneuve just reported that, apparently, current contract negociations aren't going to the taste of Andrei Markov.

Someone hear anything that would corroborate that?

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Andrei : I think I deserve a raise, and 5 years contract.

Marc : No.

Andrei : Really?

Marc : Yes.

Andrei : Yes?

Marc : Yes... Meaning no.

Andrei : What about a...

Marc : ..yes?

Andrei : So we're good?

Marc : No

Andrei : BUT YOU JUST SAID YES??!!!

Marc : I meant yes as in ''Yes you were about to say...?

Andrei : ok what about a 4 year extension

Marc : ....

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
When there's rumours about you being traded and the concern is with what is coming back, that isn't a good sign.

Habsoil

Mar 24, 2012
Fort mac
Lots of Rumors on the Twitterverse but i haven't saw anything relating to negotiations with him!

Would explain a lot of the other rumors if indeed it's not going well!
If he's traded i sure hope we get a decent return!

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal
I love Markov but the way the team is going right now. They should trade him. He will probably ask for too many years anyway. If they re-sign him, they shouldn't give him more than 2 years. He's been very inconsistent too. Sometimes we think he slowed down a lot and then next game he plays really hard and you kinda have to think if he really slowed down that much in terms of skating. Sometimes it just seems like he doesn't care when he's getting shifted. Trade him while his value is somewhat good. He could help a contender team and could return us some great pieces for team's future.

Last edited:

habs101

Dec 16, 2005
Andrei : I think I deserve a raise, and 5 years contract.

Marc : Yes.

Andrei : Yes?

Marc : Yes... Meaning no.

Andrei : What about a...

Marc : ..yes?

Andrei : So we're good?

Marc : No

Andrei : BUT YOU JUST SAID YES??!!!

Marc : I meant yes as in ''Yes you were about to say...?

Andrei : ok what about a 4 year extension

Marc : ....

LMFAO !!!!! thats good!

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
He hired Sergei Berezin as his agent.

http://www.985sports.ca/hockey/nouvelles/markov-a-un-nouvel-agent-298709.html

Yup the guy who rocked the turtleneck before Plekanec.

CH-meilleurs-SERGEI-BEREZIN.jpg

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Meh. I'll believe it only when Markov's re-signed, traded or gone...
Until then, I won't believe what media have to say. I strongly doubt they know anything. Or they're just misconstruing thins intentionally, like most of the time.

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012
He's a old slow offensive dman that is only remotely effective because of his hockey sense. What does he except a big contract? At times this year he has been poor defensively and that will only get worse. Based on MB's approach we should get a young good forward or a 1st pick and something else. He only has 2 or so years left in the tank anyway, we can't keep letting these guys leave without bringing back nothing.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Last game, Markov had a hard time skating in the first period. I think it was the knees but he was definitely hiding an injury. I think he is still good for this season but I hardly see him keeping it up for a few years again. If we don't need him, we may as well let him walk but he is still pretty useful.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
I don't think we can consider Michel Villeneuve as a source, I don't think he ever has been right on anything hockey related.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I think we'll get it.

I mean, for god sakes, the best D men on the list of top 10 trade bait is Andrew MacDonald.

If MB is smart and makes Markov available then he'll be at the top of any trade bait list.

Like I said in other threads, I love what Markov has done for us but it's time to move on. Too many times this team has held on to aging players instead of moving them when they should.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If MB is smart and makes Markov available then he'll be at the top of any trade bait list.

Like I said in other threads, I love what Markov has done for us but it's time to move on. Too many times this team has held on to aging players instead of moving them when they should.

I really, really don't want to see this team go the way they did with Souray.

They held on to Souray for absolutely no reason other than the illusion that they might sneak into the play-offs.

They didn't make the play-offs and they had an organizational philosophy of not negotiating with players during the season. This lead to the organization of having no idea that Souray was gone come hell or high water (it was obvious he'd go anyways because we couldn't afford both Markov and Souray on the cap). Montreal missed the play-offs and Souray walked.

That trade very well could have netted us a top prospect and a first round pick (possibly leading us to be able to select Pacioretty AND Perron). In fact, it would have. That is the premium for top trade bait at the deadline. Rivet got Gorges and a 1st. No one would debate that Souray was more highly regarded than Rivet.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I really, really don't want to see this team go the way they did with Souray.

They held on to Souray for absolutely no reason other than the illusion that they might sneak into the play-offs.

They didn't make the play-offs and they had an organizational philosophy of not negotiating with players during the season. This lead to the organization of having no idea that Souray was gone come hell or high water (it was obvious he'd go anyways because we couldn't afford both Markov and Souray on the cap). Montreal missed the play-offs and Souray walked.

That trade very well could have netted us a top prospect and a first round pick (possibly leading us to be able to select Pacioretty AND Perron). In fact, it would have. That is the premium for top trade bait at the deadline. Rivet got Gorges and a 1st. No one would debate that Souray was more highly regarded than Rivet.

True, but if we move him we must admit it is a total rebuild. You cannot get players via UFA anymore, you have to get them by trade or from the farm. Markov is still a top 4 defender and PP1 guy for a couple more years and there is nobody out there to replace him. Beaulieu isn't the guy either. At least not for several more years, if then.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
True, but if we move him we must admit it is a total rebuild. You cannot get players via UFA anymore, you have to get them by trade or from the farm. Markov is still a top 4 defender and PP1 guy for a couple more years and there is nobody out there to replace him. Beaulieu isn't the guy either. At least not for several more years, if then.

It is not a total rebuild. Is it a total rebuild in New York if they move Girardi and Callahan? No. It's good business. It is about getting a return on your investment before you lose it altogether.

We aren't going to replace Markov. We're not going to replace him this season and we are not going to replace him in 2 seasons when his decline is so apparent that he just can't get it done any more.

We take what assets we can for Markov. Move forward with the group that we have and hope that some other solution comes through the draft, trade or UFA. 2-3 pieces for Markov give us either: The chance of getting a prospect that develops and becomes a contributor to a team or more young pieces to trade the next time a team is looking to rebuild or looking for a shake up.

Ottawa got Bobby Ryan for 3 good young players. If we get a couple good young players for Markov, we have that much more ammunition for that type of deal should there be one to be made.

Losing Markov for nothing. Having Markov decline before we can trade him. Those are the two biggest mistakes the team can make. A mistake Gainey made countless times and that is why this team is no closer to a cup than it has been since 1993.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Let's get real. We'll finish 5-7 in the conference, will definitely get eliminated in the 1st or 2nd round, people will blame Therrien and Desharnais and we'll be at the same point next year.

I love Markov, but if there's a time to let him go, it's now. Too many Streit, Koivu and Souray in the past years. It will break my heart, but that's the thing to do. If we were closer to a cup, I'd re-sign him for 3-5 years, but we're not. We need some better pieces, and you have to let go of players like Markov if you want things to happen.

I wish there was a way to trade him at the deadline and then sign him in the off-season, but it seems it rarely happens for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad