Post-Game Talk: Contenders beat pretenders

TNigs

60 mins of Hell
Jul 29, 2012
Hockeytown
This team is too small and soft. Sure the wings carried the play for a little but had no real good scoring chances, they get out muscled around the net and rarely get to second chance rebounds.

Babcock had a net front presence on every line, now we have Abdelakder and no one else. Goalies will stop 95% of the shots they can see in this league.

Defensively the wings need to cover the pointmen not collapse the wingers. The man to man coverage also has to go and just stay home and take away the slot and the cross ice passes. Ericsson chasing his man to the blue line and giving up a 2 on 1, with everyone in the zone, should be enough evidence to change your strategy.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I take it you're one of those casual hockey fans that enjoys goals? :sarcasm:

Also, it's pretty painful watching the Z, D, and Abby be so ineffective. Lots made about Zetterberg and Larkin's slump, but Abby is also getting 20+ minutes a game and has 2 points in the last 9 games.

Whole team is on a slide. What a perfect time for Mrazek to slump, too. He's missing long shots all over the ice. Maybe check with Dr. Rahmani?

I'm the most casual fan in the league, imo. I think we really miss Lindstrom and Federov right about now. :sarcasm:

Yeah, man, sometimes it's hard to feel increasingly more nihilistic about the way the team's cap is being completely mismanaged along with the state of our aging roster. Seeing Pavs and Hank age sucks, especially since there isn't a young roster player to take their minutes yet. Sure, Larkin looks promising going forward, but he's still a teenager. Lots of growing pains with him ahead still.

And yeah, really bad timing for players to start hitting a uniform wall.

I sort of wish we'd give Mantha a look just cause.

Aug 6, 2012
There's a reason for Blashill's player usage. But I'm not sure is this this board ready for that truth.

I would love to hear why matching up Luke Glendening against Kane & Panarin is a good idea

Or playing your biggest offensive threat under ten minutes consistently... with no PP time on a PP that is absolutely dreadful

Or playing your 35+ vets over 20 minutes a night

Or continuing to trot out Brad Richards for 15 minutes a night when they guy is absolutely useless

Or starting Mrazek over Howard when all signs pointed to Howie

I'm not saying Blashill is a bad coach because I don't agree with that. But it's tough not to have second thoughts when I disagree with his decisions so emphatically.

Aug 6, 2012
This team plays it's best hockey when we stack and roll three lines. Luke Glendening should never see a shift outside of defensive zone faceoffs. If he isn't getting much ice time, that means you are probably winning the game.

I thought we finally got rid of all the dead weight on this team but a lot of guys seem to be trending that way quickly.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
I would love to hear why matching up Luke Glendening against Kane & Panarin is a good idea

Or playing your biggest offensive threat under ten minutes consistently... with no PP time on a PP that is absolutely dreadful

Or continuing to trot out Brad Richards for 15 minutes a night when they guy is absolutely useless

I'm not saying Blashill is a bad coach because I don't agree with that. But it's tough not to have second thoughts when I disagree with his decisions so emphatically.

Blashill had the b***s enough to let AA shoot third in a shootout and gave him enough time at Dallas to singlehandedly get the game to OT for a win. Then he goes to worst time at 9:34 against a Chicago team you just lost to. Why repeat the same mistake. And half of AAs time was in the 3D after everyone else had cashed it in. Bring up Mantha. Shake things up. Change the personnel on the PP. maybe the plan is for draft picks for AA ? It sure makes no sense otherwise.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
There's definitely a difference between the Wings just being a playoff team (which I think they are) and a true title contender like Chicago or Washington or Anaheim.

It'll definitely be a short lived playoff run if they run into Washington in the 1st round. I wouldn't want to be WC2 in the East right now. I don't think facing Tampa right now is all the enticing either.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
There's definitely a difference between the Wings just being a playoff team (which I think they are) and a true title contender like Chicago or Washington or Anaheim.

It'll definitely be a short lived playoff run if they run into Washington in the 1st round. I wouldn't want to be WC2 in the East right now. I don't think facing Tampa right now is all the enticing either.

I think Tampa is flawed, at least compared to last year. If Mrazek can get back to form, then we could surprise them.

Don't want to face Boston or Washington.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
They played so good for 1 period, then bam, all hell let loose.

Columbus, Winnipeg and NYR are all playing good right now (Red Wings' next three games), the task ahead is going to be hard.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

The same thing can be said about Babs when he was here except for the PP. Babs consistently put out lines that we all hated and made no sense. And don't tell me "well, it worked" because most of the time it didn't.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
The same thing can be said about Babs when he was here except for the PP. Babs consistently put out lines that we all hated and made no sense. And don't tell me "well, it worked" because most of the time it didn't.

He always managed dats and Z 's ice time well, especially in their later years.

They're going to be dead come April.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
You guys are putting too much emphasis on result and not process. Process wise we did great last night for the most part. Obviously our special teams continue to suck but the majority of the game is ES and we played great during ES against one of the most dangerous teams in the league.

That said, if we don't fix the PP/PK we are in mega trouble.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Our defense can't get the puck through on the power play anymore. The shots are always getting blocked.

Aug 6, 2012

I could care less what Babcock did. It's irrelevant.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Very odd d pairings at practice

Quincey-Green
Dekeyser-Marchenko
Kronwall-Ericsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad