Post-Game Talk: Contenders beat pretenders

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Pathetic effort. Low or no energy. Starting Petr M. Was a mistake when you knew he was off. Howard should have started. The slow entry PP move is ,well....REALLY slow. And give Larkin a break. Too much pressure and he's showing that he's tired. Just lessen his TOI, and keep him fresh.

Both of these things need to happen.

Mrazek might still be suffering groin problems. Might think he's doing the Wings a "favor" by playing through them (considering he's had to be the savior for half the season).

Larkin is gassed. That's evident. Solution? Play him 21 minutes.

Zetterberg has like 1 point in his past 10 games. Solution? Play the greybeard almost 24 minutes in regulation.

In the meantime, play the fresh legs like Athanasiou less than 10 minutes.

Does Blashill know what the **** he's doing? He's driving Datsyuk and Zetterberg into the ground with their minutes, while giving Athanasiou, who has been great, and Jurco, who could use the minutes for development, **** time.

His bench management sucks. Right now, it looks like he's grasping at straws trying to keep the streak alive with the way he's riding Hank and D like its 2008.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Chicago has a Vezina finalist and a Hart Trophy winner, the Wings might get one player to reach 50 points. Detroit isn't even in the same league as Chicago, we'll be lucky to make the playoffs, Chicago will be unfortunate to not make the final again.

Holland's speculation about a 'rebuild' is on the horizon.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Chicago has a Vezina finalist and a Hart Trophy winner, the Wings might get one player to reach 50 points. Detroit isn't even in the same league as Chicago, we'll be lucky to make the playoffs, Chicago will be unfortunate to not make the final again.

Yeah, perfect timing for a new arena. :laugh:

I'm super interested in what a rebuild would look like. Can you imagine Holland trading off a bunch of hometown talent at the deadline? Thats Twilight Zone stuff.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Turned the game off after getting the fourth GA. Wow, this team...

I turned it off after 2-0. Two guys playing Flamingo Defense on the 2nd goal and then burying Larkin on the "top" line with Zetterberg was just too much for me.

I feel bad watching Zetterberg try to play hockey, when it is obvious that either his back or his legs simply will no longer carry him any more.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

He did mention that at the trade deadline. "Rebuild" possibly on the horizon. There is a reason he didn't buy. he is going with his youth. That youth will make the playoffs, or it wont make the playoffs.

As I said in the past, maybe we go for trade deadline buyer to seller if we miss the playoffs this year. Maybe we dont try to sign more FA's in the summer.

Do we trade everything for picks.
Or do you keep going with what we got + Vatanen...
because trading picks/prospects for vatanen isnt a rebuild.

I think its possible he is thinking of starting to collect picks moving forward. As in next season, and maybe in the off season.

It will be interesting to see what happens moving forward.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Maybe, unfortunately. I think it could have been avoided had he been more proactive in addressing the defense, but here we are. This is where shuffling deck chairs gets you.

Silver lining is we'll at least have a shot at an impactful dman in the draft if we miss.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
I turned it off after 2-0. Two guys playing Flamingo Defense on the 2nd goal and then burying Larkin on the "top" line with Zetterberg was just too much for me.

I feel bad watching Zetterberg try to play hockey, when it is obvious that either his back or his legs simply will no longer carry him any more.
I think Hank still has a bit of juice left, but it's tough watching him try to keep pace with a team like Chicago. Kronwall is almost cooked though...and if his level of play doesn't improve through the rest of this season then I'm comfortable saying he's done.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Maybe, unfortunately. I think it could have been avoided had he been more proactive in addressing the defense, but here we are. This is where shuffling deck chairs gets you.

Silver lining is we'll at least have a shot at an impactful dman in the draft if we miss.

Wings won't miss the playoffs.

Philly is worse than Detroit by a tiny bit. Throw in the advantage in ROW wins and i think playing .500 hockey is going to be enough for Detroit to comfortably walk into the Capitals firing squad.

Neither team is consistent and there isn't any reason to believe Philly will become more consistent over the last 15 games of the season.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
PK and PP are both garbage right now. That's the difference. If we score on on our PP and shut the door on our PK we win tonight. If we buried any of our even strength chances we win tonight.

I can recall at least 3 grade A scoring chances that somehow didn't go in. Pulks is drawing my ire right now.
I think this is more than obvious . Our special units are losing us games.
Pathetic effort. Low or no energy. Starting Petr M. Was a mistake when you knew he was off. Howard should have started. The slow entry PP move is ,well....REALLY slow. And give Larkin a break. Too much pressure and he's showing that he's tired. Just lessen his TOI, and keep him fresh.
Howard is trending up, Mrazek down. Howard was the choise.
Why is Larkin getting 21 minutes to AA's 9:47?

Larkin has been ice cold this past month while AA constantly makes things happen.
+1

They have some great players in their prime. We none.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Because the team has to transition to its youth? I'm not sure what other options management had other than selling off the farm to take one last run before pulling a Toronto.

Oh yeah and management has taken such a proactive approach on that front over the last 5 years rather than desperately and against all reason clinging to a non-existent window hiding behind the banal 'any team that makes the playoffs can win the Cup' cliche even as the team became worse and worse. That's probably why we traded for and signed so many guys over 30. It was a youth movement.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
I'm not usually criticizing the coaching because Blashill can only work with what he has, but...

Jimmy has been outplaying Mrazek as of late and he continues to be the backup

Blashill seems to shuffle the lines multiple times a game which must be frustrating trying to build line chemistry

But most frustratingly he ran Zetterberg for 23 minutes. More than any forward or (worryingly) any defenseman

For the first time this season I could see Blashill blatantly being outplayed by the other coach.

These things don't bode well going into the playoffs, if we make the playoffs at all.

Ownership needs to wake up and tell Holland to do something before retirements and walk-outs lead to the Wings having a bleak Vancouver-like outlook.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I said fit a few years ago; Don't sign Howard, and trade Kronwall.

Hell, ask Datsyuk if he wants a trade to a contender for a cup shot. I think he'd like Washington.

I've had posters call me crazy for all 3 ideas, then again, the position of the team, how crazy is it?

If I had it my way, Helm would've been dealt at the deadline, along with Quincey.

Nyquist would be on the block.

Field calls, take the best assets back regardless of need.

Rebuild.

---

The writing is on the wall.

1. Datsyuk and Zetterberg can no longer carry the team.
2. Nyquist and Tatar are top 6 wingers, they have the most value around the league.
3. Defense is not in good shape, now or in the future.
4. The young players the Wings have are not equipped, or not ready to carry the load.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm not usually criticizing the coaching because Blashill can only work with what he has, but...

Blashill seems to shuffle the lines multiple times a game which must be frustrating trying to build line chemistry

But most frustratingly he ran Zetterberg for 23 minutes. More than any forward or (worryingly) any defenseman

For the first time this season I could see Blashill blatantly being outplayed by the other coach.

These things don't bode well going into the playoffs, if we make the playoffs at all.

Ownership needs to wake up and tell Holland to do something before retirements and walk-outs lead to the Wings having a bleak Vancouver-like outlook.
Yeah not really a fan of Blashill's coaching lately.

With Datsyuk out, it would have been the perfect time to give AA a real opportunity, 15-20 minutes of icetime. Just to see what he does.

Instead he promotes Larkin who is struggling badly and probably could use lesser minutes against easier matchups. Just makes me shake my head.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015

When did he speculate about this? Genuinely curious.

Wings won't miss the playoffs.

Philly is worse than Detroit by a tiny bit. Throw in the advantage in ROW wins and i think playing .500 hockey is going to be enough for Detroit to comfortably walk into the Capitals firing squad.

Neither team is consistent and there isn't any reason to believe Philly will become more consistent over the last 15 games of the season.

I'm optimistic, but not so confident that'd I'd call it one way or the other.

Yeah, pretty much everyone here said start Jimmy since Mrazek just looks off lately. Seemed like an easy call to me. Usually not one to say a toe to sew but I ****ing a toe to sew. Maybe his logic is he doesn't want goalie controversy continuing into the playoffs?

As for the vet's ice time, it's why you need to split up Pav and Hank, both on the PP and 5v5. Seems to me like it'd be way easier to keep both of them under 20 minutes apart than together.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This team is very hard to watch this season.

I take it you're one of those casual hockey fans that enjoys goals? :sarcasm:

Also, it's pretty painful watching the Z, D, and Abby be so ineffective. Lots made about Zetterberg and Larkin's slump, but Abby is also getting 20+ minutes a game and has 2 points in the last 9 games.

Whole team is on a slide. What a perfect time for Mrazek to slump, too. He's missing long shots all over the ice. Maybe check with Dr. Rahmani?

TopShelfYzerman

Gm 7 Double OT
Jan 3, 2011
USA
www.youtube.com
Concerning the PP, I think Detroit needs the defenseman on the point, generate a low flying shot in hopes for a rebound. The 3 deeper players, really have a good chance at a rebound so long as they attack the net from all 3 angles. Were small up front but shouldnt have trouble sliding inside the D.

Im no expert but on ES, our guys way too often try to split the defenseman. The team lacks structure in the offensive zone. Its as if we have a big man syndrome and try to finesse our way into the zone. Stop the lateral movements, get the puck up to the point, find the open man, generate a low shot and crash the net. And stop trying to cut into the middle.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Im no expert but on ES, our guys way too often try to split the defenseman. The team lacks structure in the offensive zone. Its as if we have a big man syndrome and try to finesse our way into the zone. Stop the lateral movements, get the puck up to the point, find the open man, generate a low shot and crash the net.

I'm with you, but I'm starting to think the Wings don't have the roster for that to routinely work. The defenders aren't strong enough with the puck to get shots through reliably, and the Wings scorers aren't exactly the most physically imposing guys.

They'll have success using their legs and skill to open up the ice, but holy hell does that become impossible when you meet a far more skilled team like Chicago.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
I was watching the game with a buddy--- I knew it was over when we didn't score in the 2nd. Chicago had a LOT of dangerous chances that they weren't converting on all game, but Detroit had the momentum and controlled the play throughout the 2nd and into the 3rd.

We -Need- a new PP coach.

Also, I am a huge Green supporter. I think he has been our best defenseman, but hooomg he always seems to take penalties at the WORST possible time.

TopShelfYzerman

Gm 7 Double OT
Jan 3, 2011
USA
www.youtube.com
I was watching the game with a buddy--- I knew it was over when we didn't score in the 2nd. Chicago had a LOT of dangerous chances that they weren't converting on all game, but Detroit had the momentum and controlled the play throughout the 2nd and into the 3rd.

We -Need- a new PP coach.

Also, I am a huge Green supporter. I think he has been our best defenseman, but hooomg he always seems to take penalties at the WORST possible time.

Biggest thing I noticed lately is the other team usually has all the time and space. They throw the puck back to the point and generated good puck movement leaving our guys scrambling rather than using man to man coverage. In the offensive zone, we lacked any time and space, our passes were easily guessed and picked off or the recipient of the pass had no time to make a play.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Biggest thing I noticed lately is the other team usually has all the time and space. They throw the puck back to the point and generated good puck movement leaving our guys scrambling rather than using man to man coverage. In the offensive zone, we lacked any time and space, our passes were easily guessed and picked off or the recipient of the pass had no time to make a play.

Ohhhh I was talking about this exact thing with my friend.

So to start--- the Wings are TERRIBLE at blocking shots, and yet they actively stand in front of the goalie taking away his vision. It'd be nice if they applied those screening skills offensively once and awhile. Speaking of offense our team looks they're TRYING to stick to the system as opposed to playing with flow and driving the puck to the net. Shaw's drive to the net in the 3rd is a prime example of what NOBODY BUT AA does. Sticking to a system religously could work if they sent players in front of the net every now and again, but all too often we have a forqard behind the net, at the hashmarks, and at the top of the circles so when a shot comes after fighting to get into the zone and maintaon possesion the goalie has an easy save.

Everyone looks predictable. Our inability or unwillingness to force plays exposes us because we can't outmuscle teams along the boards... Especially when we can't force plays to the middle of the ice with skill or strength, and when we do have a quality chance it gets blocked or goes wide.

Eh.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Alot of Blashill's choices recently have been more and more questionable. With how much Mrazek has been playing and his groin issue, you would think Howard wouldve gotten the start today, or even last wednesday. Especially with his last two outings and how well he has played. Ride the hot hand and let Mrazek reset abit especially with all the games coming up. Also, i'd be throwing Athanasiou up with Zetterberg and moving Larkin down until he gets going again. AA's speed and hands would help I think. A shakeup needs to happen to get the offense going. As for the powerplay, its too predictable, mixing them up might help. But something needs to happen.

Aug 6, 2012
Roster is average but Blashill's player usage continues to haunt this team.

To be honest the entire defense can be replaced and I wouldn't mind one bit.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Oh yeah and management has taken such a proactive approach on that front over the last 5 years rather than desperately and against all reason clinging to a non-existent window hiding behind the banal 'any team that makes the playoffs can win the Cup' cliche even as the team became worse and worse. That's probably why we traded for and signed so many guys over 30. It was a youth movement.

Absolutely correct, Holland was going with youth when he signed Cleary and sent Nyquist down to Grand Rapids. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad