Cont'd - NHL makes 12-year/$5.2 billion Canadian TV deal w/ Sportsnet, CBC, TSN out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
The only other cable company operating in Alberta is Telus, and they are small at the moment and not widely available. Between Shaw driving Videotron out of Alberta in the late 90's and Telus starting to provide cable in select areas a few years ago, Shaw had a total, unopposed monopoly.

Bell Satellite TV has been available to every Canadian for at least 15 years or so.

Your own living conditions are the only things that can force you into 1 provider. That's not a monopoly, it's bad luck.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I'm biased :)laugh:) but as a fan of a team in a non-traditional market, this deal helps the struggling (financially) franchises tremendously. I'm not saying that's why Bettman did this deal, but we might be in a situation where most (if not all) of the teams in the NHL are either breaking even or even making money by next season.

NHL has never been in a healthier situation financially (IMO).

Wait ill the cap goes to 80 million, then you cry poor again.

Wetcoaster

For Shaw in BC:http://www.shaw.ca/personal/television/channel-listings/

Sportsnet 1 HD and TSN2 HD both in HD Basic package. So, you get two TSN channels, two Sportsnet channels in the same HD tier. 360 is in their HD(sports plus) tier.

On Bell, TSN 2 HD, Sportsnet 1 HD, Sportsnet 360 HD, and all the Regional Sportsnets are on the same tier (Ontario).http://www.bell.ca/Fibe-TV/Fibe-Channels

On Rogers in Ontario: You get Sportsnet Ontario with basic cable, Sportsnet and TSN with the digital 'plus' package but only Sportsnet in HD, You get all the Sportsnets and TSN and TSN 2 in the extra sports, but only the Sportsnet channels in HD. In order to get the TSN's in HD, you need to shell out an extra $10.

So, in Shaw in BC: If you have TSN and TSN 2 in HD, you should also have Sportsnet Pacific, and Sportsnet 1 in HD as well. Sportsnet 360 HD is in another package. Seems fair.

On Bell in Ontario (and I assume in BC and wherever they are available), if you have TSN and TSN 2 HD, you should also have all the Sportsnets in HD.

On Rogers in Ontario (Rogers may vary more depending on area, don't know): You get all the Sportsnets in HD for $10 cheaper than the package that includes TSN and TSN2 in HD (which also includes all the Sportsnets).

And my current cable provider has all of them on the same HD tier (except for other region sports nets). TSN, TSN2, Sportsnet Ontario, Sportsnet 1, Sportsnet 360 are all included in their basic HD package.

So, your portrayal of the Sportsnet channels being their obscure premium channels compared to TSN2 doesn't hold much water.

Oh, and since it sounds as though you are from Alberta: Shaw Alberta:http://www.shaw.ca/personal/television/channel-listings/?lregion=AB&lcity=Calgary

Similar to BC. Should be noted the Sportsnet 360 is included in basic cable. HD situation is the same as BC. TSN, TSN2, Sportsnet West, Sportsnet 1 are all HD Basic. Sportsnet 360 is HD Sports (Plus).
In BC to get all the Sportsnet channels on Telus Optik TV would require you to add the Sports and Sports Top Up theme packs at a cost of $11 ($9 + $2) per month to the Essential base package. It also gives you TSN, NHL Network and others.
http://www.telus.com/tv/channels.jsp#optik-tv-channels

Essentials cost:

Price with another TELUS service (internet or land line)
$20 per month for the first 6 months (then $29 per month)

Price for TV only
$25 per month for the first 6 months (then $34 per month)
http://www.telus.com/tv/plans/essentials/

Wetcoaster

They force competitors to play fair.

If they didn't we'd all be jumping to Rogers TV providers as Bell would not be able to have Rogers content at all meaning no NHL hockey other then on CBC for any Bell Satellite or FibreOp customers in Canada.

They have to offer the competition a similar rate that they essentially charge themselves for the same channel space.

Everyone loves to rip the CRTC but without them we'd have no competition at all and would be in an even worse situation. It's really not that hard to see when you realize the big players in terms of channels are also the big players in terms of providers.
I realize that but I do not see where this comes in to play.

I have seen nothing from any communications analysts that mention the CRTC having a role in this deal.

Shad5150

Aug 2, 2005
West Kelowna, BC
I'd rather HNIC not be on CBC at all, public service should not be in the business of making profits for private enterprise. That's absurd.

CBC is acting like a charity case and it's embarrassing. HNIC is nostalgia, nothing more and shouldn't be a puppet for promoting Rogers' monopoly over hockey in Canada.

You are continuing to forget that the CBC is receiving the right to air their promotional ads for their programming. This is not giving anything for free.

Being able to promote their craptastic line up of mediocre shows, the CBC is in fact receiving millions of dollars in promotional spots, for free.

With absolutely no risk.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
For an arm and a leg, yes. Brand new customers can get decent rates and bundles. Anybody wanting to switch things around after the fact will see their bill go up. But they'll get a Shaw home phone landline (that almost nobody has any use for in this day and age) along with it to "justify" the cost. A Shaw rep was at my door not long ago trying to sell me on the virtues of moving to a personal TV system. They were all too happy to set me up with a new HD box, take away 80 channels, and reduce my bill by a whopping $6 per month had I agreed to their "generous" offer. When I questioned them as to why new customers got faster internet and new HD boxes for a smaller monthly fee than I was currently paying there was a lot of hand-wringing, doublespeak, and subject changing.

Every company has intro promo rates, but I was mainly correcting the "old customers don't get the new tv packages" claim. Anyone gets those. Regardless, most of these channels, Sportsnet and/or TSN, are in basic packages for most providers. It shouldn't cost $80 to watch hockey with anyone.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
In BC to get all the Sportsnet channels on Telus Optik TV would require you to add the Sports and Sports Top Up theme packs at a cost of $11 ($9 + $2) per month to the Essential base package. It also gives you TSN, NHL Network and others.
http://www.telus.com/tv/channels.jsp#optik-tv-channels

Essentials cost:

Price with another TELUS service (internet or land line)
$20 per month for the first 6 months (then $29 per month)

Price for TV only
$25 per month for the first 6 months (then $34 per month)
http://www.telus.com/tv/plans/essentials/

I always forget Telus even exists.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
You are continuing to forget that the CBC is receiving the right to air their promotional ads for their programming. This is not giving anything for free.

Being able to promote their craptastic line up of mediocre shows, the CBC is in fact receiving millions of dollars in promotional spots, for free.

With absolutely no risk.

There is no mention to how much promo time they will actually receive. The entire production for that time slot is at the mercy of Rogers and we have no idea how it will pan out going forward. What if they receive one commercial slot per break, or per period? Is it then ok for Rogers to fill the rest with advertisement revenue and utilize the public broadcasting stations prime time slot for their own revenue?

Where does it end? Honestly, I get how people can look at this and say "they're getting it for free!" and you could be right, but the fact that revenue from a crown corporations product is going to a private enterprise just doesn't sit right with me.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I think Mirtle has it wrong, someone posted a section of the CBA and how new TV deals can affect the cap from year 1, not the season after it starts.

Only way it won't change it next year is if what Rogers is actually paying is not much more then what the total is for this current season up here.

The PA and BoG would have to ratify a hypothesized growth and apply it a year early. Doubt this happens but you never know.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
There is no mention to how much promo time they will actually receive. The entire production for that time slot is at the mercy of Rogers and we have no idea how it will pan out going forward. What if they receive one commercial slot per break, or per period? Is it then ok for Rogers to fill the rest with advertisement revenue and utilize the public broadcasting stations prime time slot for their own revenue?

Where does it end? Honestly, I get how people can look at this and say "they're getting it for free!" and you could be right, but the fact that revenue from a crown corporations product is going to a private enterprise just doesn't sit right with me.

It's like offering somebody $5 to sleep with that person's wife. They'd say "no way!" of course. But why? They're getting $5 and they don't have to do anything. Why not take the deal? It's better than not getting any money. Isn't it?

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com

It more or less a charity case to keep the public from writing to their MP about. "Scary Rogers stealing our god given right to watch HNIC on CBC." By doing this Rogers get four years to ease peoples off to watch the Saturday Night game on CITY instead.

FakeKidPoker*

Right now I am on Telus.

I believe I just have the base package which has TSN1&2(3rd rate now), Sportsnet Pacific, Sportsnet1, Sportsnet 360.. I believe all in HD.

FakeKidPoker*

City could easily bomb too.. ya never know.

For now we have 4.5 years of HNIC in Canada on CBC... and with former CBCSports president the top dog at Sportsnet Scott Moore I doubt we will see many drastic changes.

Expect to see Ron Maclean and Don Cherry in their regular roles.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Telus is a multi-billion dollar company not just in west.They are a sponsor of Laval football stadium in Quebec city and employ thousands of people in Bc and most of west and have gone into quebec.Theyre not as big as Rogers Bell or Vidiotron but there with the big boys

thom

Mar 6, 2012
In terms of canada media-including internet where were rumours about Rogers getting the deal you would have thought weeks ago there would be stories about who would get deal and how much.Except for bob Mckenzie tweeting there was none.Its a sad day for canadien media that no one could get the story till last day

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
In terms of canada media-including internet where were rumours about Rogers getting the deal you would have thought weeks ago there would be stories about who would get deal and how much.Except for bob Mckenzie tweeting there was none.Its a sad day for canadien media that no one could get the story till last day
I think it how bloody fast everything went down that took everybody by surprise. Everybody expected the NHL to engineer a bidding war and it did not happen. Apparently BCE tried to lowball them and when Rogers made their bid The NHL jumped on it.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
thanks. so, it is your understanding that the location of the game is what would decide who gets it? I think the teams playing would decide which channel rogers uses to broadcastsit nationally in Canada. TO in Bos is nbc's, Bos in TO is SN's? Think of it this way: If the Leafs are playing the Bruins, NBC can broadcast that game to a national audience in the US. They would probably use their own play by play guys and production crew too, because it would be a big match up. At the exact same time, Rogers can broadcast that game (as long as it's not part of the regional package belonging to the Leafs: ie, the game is on a saturday) nationally within Canada. Rogers would probably have their own PbP guys and production crew there as well. i could see rogers leveraging more games in canadian cities on certain nights of the week then, no? TSN was doing this with their Wednesday night hockey. I expect Rogers to continue this practice. moreover, would this not put pressure on the league for more canadian locations? You're starting to stretch here. I suppose Rogers may want more Canadian teams to highlight to the country, but the market (ie profitability) will determine if expansion/relocation teams end up in Canada) (ie., QC and Hammer, not Seattle and Houston) ... i mean, if push came to shove between nbc and rogers, who is gary going to listen to? NBC. Canadians are going to watch hockey anyways. I have a hard time believing there are people in Hamilton not watching the NHL because there is no team in Hamilton. There are people in Seattle not watching NHL broadcasts because there is no NHL team in Seattle. i would suggest that $5.2B speaks louder than $2B and if I were a fan in a struggling US market (notwithstanding whatever comes out in this messy wash of HRR, revenue sharing, but higher caps) I might be a bit worried. I would suggest there is more opportunity for growth in the number of people watching the NHL in the US, than there is in Canada.

simply put, is a team in phoenix worth more or less to the folks coughing up huge cash than one in quebec city? A team in Phoenix provides the NHL with a team in the sixth largest city in the US. Let me put it this way: There are 4.2M people you can market the NHL to in the Valley of the Sun. There are 8.1M people in Quebec as a whole. And the majority of those people are already watching the NHL. You're already accounting for them in the 5.2B deal. How many potential new customers are in phoenix? 3 million? More? It'll take work to tap into them, but there's always the allure of all those potential new customers for the NHL.

You asked a lot of questions. Due to laziness, my answers are in bold.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008

Wetcoaster

Gallows humour over at TSN???

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
NHL on TSN doubleheader tonite: TOR @ PIT now; CHI @ CGY with 10:15 pm ET. Get em while they're hot! Limited time offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad