Cont'd - NHL makes 12-year/$5.2 billion Canadian TV deal w/ Sportsnet, CBC, TSN out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
why isn't directv legal in canada, the land of the free i thought?

we should have the option for american tv, not the rogers monoply, anyone who thinks monopoly is good is a fool

That's the crtc and Canadian content regulations.
Need to have a certain percentage of Canadian channels on the lineup to be okay.

Macman

May 15, 2004
You are not forced to do anything. This isn't heat, or hot water, it is not an essential service. If you are not happy with it, protest by boycotting all Rogers products

You're in the wrong place if you think hockey isn't an essential service to guys like me.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
That's the crtc and Canadian content regulations.
Need to have a certain percentage of Canadian channels on the lineup to be okay.

The CRTC is the major corporations lap dog utilized when it best suits them. If they had any spine they would review this deal and the effect it's going to have on the telecom services in Canada when Rogers will be able to gauge other corporations for the rights to show the NHL. Cause if we're being frank, Bell, Shaw etc cannot sell their products if they don't have the opportunity to sell the NHL. They have rights to access, and while the costs are regulated the language is loose and we haven't seen this type of monopoly in quite a long time. The last time was when? Bell owning every telephone line in the country and gauging competitors?

So at what point does Rogers say "hey we're paying through the nose for this, the best way to make profit is in licensing fees and subscriptions?". My guess, before it even starts.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The only question I have for people who think that all these games are going to go to 3rd/4th tier channels...

Does ESPN put the BCS on ESPN News/ESPN Classic?
Does TBS put their main MLB playoff games on TNT?
Did TSN put their marquee NHL playoff games on TSN2?

The answer to all of these is no, because the sole purpose of having national rights isn't to get people to buy all the cable packages. Sure there is a benefit to having this growth, but its more the fact that having top-tier content on the main channels and then pushing what's currently on those channels (ie Blue Jays/UFC prelims/etc) to the secondary channels. You make a hell of a lot more ad revenue from having the Leafs on Sportsnet than SN 360, and if you think they're going to put a mid-week January national broadcast on 360 and have BPL Week in Review or something on Sportsnet then you're stretching your Rogers hate a bit.

What they could do that would be bad is have multiple Wednesday night broadcasts, forcing fans of 'secondary' Canadian teams to get those channels or be blacked out. Really I think its Jets/Oilers/Sens etc fans that will lose out on this deal a hell of a lot more than Leafs/Habs/Nucks fans.

Is that what you know?

Would it surprise you to know that right now 75% of the leafs games that Rogers has the rites to are only shown on 1 hardly watched pay to view channel?

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
Other than continuing the tradition of HNIC.. I'll say I honestly don't understand why CBC entered into this deal.

If they don't get the revenue from their air time, what is the point?

They are basically acting as an extension of Rogers any time they are broadcasting an NHL game but at their own expense..

Only for four years I think. Maybe Rogers wants to buy the CBC from the Canadian Government then?

we haven't seen this type of monopoly in quite a long time. The last time was when? Bell owning every telephone line in the country and gauging competitors?

BTW, Bell never owned every telephone line in Canada.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Only for four years I think. Maybe Rogers wants to buy the CBC from the Canadian Government then?

Can't imagine why a giant corporation would want to buy a Liberal public station. They don't serve any of their needs from a message standpoint

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada

Bell built the telephone lines across Canada and leased usage to other companies.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
with Shaw SN Pacific, West, Ontario, SN1 and TSN is free with basic cable(shaw no longer carries SN East). For TSN 2/SN 360 you have to upgrade however in the old packages TSN 2 is included with Basic.

The alternate Sportsnet channels are not free with basic cable. I don't have them. I still have TSN, TSN2, and SN West though. I only watch HD so it's irrelevant anyway, but you need the sports package that gives you NHL Network and ESPN classic to get those alternate regional Sportsnets. Shaw only offers the standard def versions of those stations so I don't order them.

Really though, discussing standard def cable packages is archaic as we approach 2014. Most people who watch mainly sports programming have upgraded to HD by now. And when discussing HD, as far as I know, only TSN, TSN2, and SN West are included in the basic HD package. It might have changed by now, I'm not positive.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The only question I have for people who think that all these games are going to go to 3rd/4th tier channels...

Does ESPN put the BCS on ESPN News/ESPN Classic?
Does TBS put their main MLB playoff games on TNT?
Did TSN put their marquee NHL playoff games on TSN2?

The answer to all of these is no, because the sole purpose of having national rights isn't to get people to buy all the cable packages. Sure there is a benefit to having this growth, but its more the fact that having top-tier content on the main channels and then pushing what's currently on those channels (ie Blue Jays/UFC prelims/etc) to the secondary channels. You make a hell of a lot more ad revenue from having the Leafs on Sportsnet than SN 360, and if you think they're going to put a mid-week January national broadcast on 360 and have BPL Week in Review or something on Sportsnet then you're stretching your Rogers hate a bit.

What they could do that would be bad is have multiple Wednesday night broadcasts, forcing fans of 'secondary' Canadian teams to get those channels or be blacked out. Really I think its Jets/Oilers/Sens etc fans that will lose out on this deal a hell of a lot more than Leafs/Habs/Nucks fans.

All those networks have a "home" channel that they began broadcasting on and developed into a nationally recognized brand that became basic to any cable package. Rights negotiations are done with the understanding that the sporting event will not be shuffled off to some secondary channel.

Rogers has no such "home" channel. That's the difference. What is their default national channel? There isn't one. ALL of their channels are secondary, besides the regional network, but that is only non-secondary in its own market. SN1 could become their national default, but is not included in most basic cable packages.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
The alternate Sportsnet channels are not free with basic cable. I don't have them. I still have TSN, TSN2, and SN West though. I only watch HD so it's irrelevant anyway, but you need the sports package that gives you NHL Network and ESPN classic to get those alternate regional Sportsnets. Shaw only offers the standard def versions of those stations so I don't order them.

Really though, discussing standard def cable packages is archaic as we approach 2014. Most people who watch mainly sports programming have upgraded to HD by now. And when discussing HD, as far as I know, only TSN, TSN2, and SN West are included in the basic HD package. It might have changed by now, I'm not positive.

I think the clearest conclusion coming from this thread is that you need to find a new tv provider :laugh:

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
All those networks have a "home" channel that they began broadcasting on and developed into a nationally recognized brand that became basic to any cable package. Rights negotiations are done with the understanding that the sporting event will not be shuffled off to some secondary channel.

Rogers has no such "home" channel. That's the difference. What is their default national channel? There isn't one. ALL of their channels are secondary, besides the regional network, but that is only non-secondary in its own market. SN1 could become their national default, but is not included in most basic cable packages.

I view the 4 Sportsnets as 1 TSN as the programming on all 4 is similar outside the regional content....which is what TSN has in their Jets and Habs alternates in those regions.

Sportsnet is the home or flagship channel. Has been since it's launch in 98.

That's why big events are on all 4.

Wetcoaster

Best line at the press conference where the deal was officially announced?

“And I didn’t get booed.â€

Gary Bettman seated on a raised stage beside a gleaming Stanley Cup.

bettman_pelley.jpg

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008

They'll broadcast the marquee matchup on Sportsnet. It's not that complicated. CBC has CBC Vancouver, Toronto, Winnepeg, etc, etc. It has no problems doing nationwide broadcasts of games throughout its network of stations.

And they even demonstrated this in their sample Saturday Night schedule. All the main Sportsnet stations will show the same game, Sportsnet 1 will get different game.

It would be extremely short sighted for Rogers to do any of what you keep confidently asserting they are going to. Rogers has been trying to compete with Bell and TSN for sports supremacy for quite some time. They aren't going to pay $5.2 Billion to put marquee match ups on a channel not many people get. They will focus on it, and use it to increase their own brand, try getting people to tune into the pre-game, Sportsnet Connected, etc. This deal is about a lot more than simply the 3 hours a night they may televise a game every other day or so. It's about trying to make Sportsnet the go to sports station in Canada, and you don't do that by hiding your best draws on obscure channels.

TSN didn't do it with TSN2, and Rogers won't do it with Sportsnet 1 or 360. The biggest games will be on either the main Sportsnet network, or on CBC.

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
why isn't directv legal in canada, the land of the free i thought?

we should have the option for american tv, not the rogers monoply, anyone who thinks monopoly is good is a fool

Comrade Mark; that's the US motto, here it's like communism when it comes to TV, radio, internet.... :cry:

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
does this new contract allow for rogers to broadcast all american games? or, does that right rest with nbc?

The way I understand this deal is Rogers has exclusive rights to nationally broadcast NHL games in Canada. So, in much the same way that TSN currently shows American games to a national audience, Rogers will be able to do the same, broadcast American games to a national audience.

As for "all American games"? I think the answer is a simple no. I expect that Rogers will be showing American games, likely with home team regional feeds, on Wednesdays and Saturdays throughout their 12 year deal. Probably on a mix of Sportsnet One and Sportsnet 360 (because they'll likely prefer to keep their marquee Canadian matchups on their flagship station)

Ringmaster

Oct 8, 2010
Santa Monica California

i don't watch SD either but i think u are wrong. i will check.

I know HD Plus(tsn 2 not included because u get it free with Digital Basic) and Best Of HD are different(tsn 2
included).

EDIT: SN West/Ontario is included with Basic with Shaw(u need to be on the new packages to get this). The older(classic package) might not get it

Last edited:

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Bell built the telephone lines across Canada and leased usage to other companies.
and essentially, so did rogers. i recall a shockingly frank discussion with Ted when I was a kid about how he was a billion dollars in debt from laying cable across Canada and buying up various local providers. and that was when 10% LoC interest was a fantastic deal. noone could ever accuse him of being risk-averse. seems his legacy continues. time will tell if this nhl contract is a good investment.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I find it hilarious how many people are complaining about price increases. How do any of you guys think teams pay their players? How else would the salary cap go up?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Is that what you know?

Would it surprise you to know that right now 75% of the leafs games that Rogers has the rites to are only shown on 1 hardly watched pay to view channel?

Unless 17/40 = 75% (and although I don't claim to be a good accountant, I do know how to use a calculator), that's just completely untrue.

Their default national channel is pretty clearly Sportsnet, considering that like 80% of Jays games and their other sporting properties (UFC, MLB playoffs, NFL etc) are shown nationally on the four Sportsnet channels. And usually the only thing preventing 100% of those properties being shown fully national is regional NHL games or regional sporting events (ie MLS).

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
and essentially, so did rogers. i recall a shockingly frank discussion with Ted when I was a kid about how he was a billion dollars in debt from laying cable across Canada and buying up various local providers. and that was when 10% LoC interest was a fantastic deal. noone could ever accuse him of being risk-averse. seems his legacy continues. time will tell if this nhl contract is a good investment.

I honestly don't have a problem from the Rogers viewpoint. They made a strategic and powerful business move here. This was good for them, and good for the NHL. I just have a problem with it from the viewpoint of the general public that is going to pay because of the ineptitude of our government to regulate corporations. People are begging for market saturation in telecommunications, and we hear a lot of rah rah from politics and we're working on it, but then a corporation is allowed to come in and corner an entire market like this and essentially effect the entire country digitally.

Even if you don't like hockey, or don't watch hockey there is a corporation that now has exclusive rights to the biggest money maker in Canada and can essentially dictate the market for all telecommunications because there is no saturation from outside sources. The competition is nadda, zilch, they have Bell et al at their mercy for programming going forward.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Comrade Mark; that's the US motto, here it's like communism when it comes to TV, radio, internet.... :cry:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Other then the fact we're 30 million spread out over the same area they have for 300 million the TV and internet industries seem very similar in the US compared to Canada.

Both have local and national providers. Both have awful reputations based on brutal customer service and customer treatment.

It's really not much different.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
The way I understand this deal is Rogers has exclusive rights to nationally broadcast NHL games in Canada. So, in much the same way that TSN currently shows American games to a national audience, Rogers will be able to do the same, broadcast American games to a national audience.

As for "all American games"? I think the answer is a simple no. I expect that Rogers will be showing American games, likely with home team regional feeds, on Wednesdays and Saturdays throughout their 12 year deal. Probably on a mix of Sportsnet One and Sportsnet 360 (because they'll likely prefer to keep their marquee Canadian matchups on their flagship station)
thanks. so, it is your understanding that the location of the game is what would decide who gets it? TO in Bos is nbc's, Bos in TO is SN's? i could see rogers leveraging more games in canadian cities on certain nights of the week then, no? moreover, would this not put pressure on the league for more canadian locations? (ie., QC and Hammer, not Seattle and Houston) ... i mean, if push came to shove between nbc and rogers, who is gary going to listen to? i would suggest that $5.2B speaks louder than $2B and if I were a fan in a struggling US market (notwithstanding whatever comes out in this messy wash of HRR, revenue sharing, but higher caps) I might be a bit worried.

simply put, is a team in phoenix worth more or less to the folks coughing up huge cash than one in quebec city?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad