Cont'd - NHL makes 12-year/$5.2 billion Canadian TV deal w/ Sportsnet, CBC, TSN out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Previous thread

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1545697

Again...

MOD NOTE:

As we are no doubt going to carry over the discussion in a new thread shortly, its time to lay down the BoH rules and parameters (for those unfamiliar with how it works here)

* No more Bobbie Mac, Mirtle, lack of professionalism, besmirching of other NHL contributors

* No spam (as in emote-only posts, quoted for truth - "Yep, yeah, this" etc)

* Keep the politics as they pertain to broadcasting only

* Discuss the post. Do not attack the poster

* We are here to discuss the business implications of this deal

Any deviation from the above and all other forum rules will mean post deletion, warning/infractions, and thread ban... not necessarily in that order.

Knowing full well the emotional ramifications and people's preferences, let's keep a wee bit tighter lid on those emotional outbursts please

Carry on...

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
The negativity from Canadians on this definitely amuses me. More options, more games available, HNIC not killed off, but "Rogers has a high school broadcast, this is crap!"

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Not even two minutes into the press conference and there already was sound issues. Classic Sportsnet.

Last edited:

MSG*

This deal is crushing. What it amounts to is the Maple Leafs own NHL broadcasting in Canada. Bizarre

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Other than continuing the tradition of HNIC.. I'll say I honestly don't understand why CBC entered into this deal.

If they don't get the revenue from their air time, what is the point?

They are basically acting as an extension of Rogers any time they are broadcasting an NHL game but at their own expense..

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Not even two minutes into the press conference and there was already was sound issues. Classic Sportsnet.

Don't forget no lighting. Hissing and crackling in the dark.....classic Sportsnet. This is going to be a disaster unless they completely overhaul themselves.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Other than continuing the tradition of HNIC.. I'll say I honestly don't understand why CBC entered into this deal.

They are basically acting as an extension of Rogers any time they are broadcasting an NHL game but at their own expense..

Because they get to promote their other programming during the broadcasts for FREE.

That's how TV and marketing work...

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
I just hope this doesn't change the amount of hockey I get to watch in Halifax. I agree SN sucks and so do their personalities but I can deal with that. Just DO NOT take away my hockey!

Since I don't really understand all this stuff, how will this affect a Canadian hockey fan? Will we see the same amount as when it was on TSN? More? Or just more blackouts? All I ever can watch now on SN is stupid Sens games with horrible announcers.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
The negativity from Canadians on this definitely amuses me. More options, more games available, HNIC not killed off, but "Rogers has a high school broadcast, this is crap!"

Imagine that verizon (t-mobile? a-t-t? which one is worse?) got handed the keys to NFL broadcast for the next 12 years and you'd understand.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
"We think this deal is historic and forward-looking," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said Tuesday at a news conference. "It's a partnership to grow the game."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/nhl-br...nt-will-grow-the-game-1.1560824#ixzz2lm7tuOh0

So someone needs to clarify for me how this will grow the game. For years I've been told we need to put teams in obscure markets to grow the game, yet this TV deal will somehow do this. IMO pretty much everyone in Canada that wants to watch hockey already is, so other than the financial growth the NHL might see, how does this grow the game?

Last edited:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

HNIC is by far the most popular programming on CBC...so where do you think is the best place for them to advertise all their other programming?

fallsviewafro*

Sportsnet has crap broadcasts and TSN is easily the best. Best PBP, best commentary, best everything.

this sucks. :(

thevreelander

Nov 10, 2013
TSN was giving the NHL far less money than this deal. This deal is great for hockey. HRR is going to shoot up from this.

Maybe TSN can go after the IIHF rights and KHL rights?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

HNIC is only certain for 4 more years, and retain none of the revenue from the games they do show. Rogers Sportsnet had better use all of that new revenue stream to upgrade their ass equipment.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Bettman would've been smart to have moved Phoenix to Quebec last season knowing that a new TV deal was coming up, would've brought in a tonne more money especially from the French bidders.

Also, I'm very confused in the CBC's role in this and how exactly they're gonna make $ or what will happen to their staff as well as why the NHL opted to go exclusive rather than what they have now which is better (coverage on three major networks).

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Because they get to promote their other programming during the broadcasts for FREE.

That's how TV and marketing work...

When you consider the % of their revenue that they were getting from hockey.. that doesn't sound like a good deal.

They are taking an enormous hit.

TOML

Oct 4, 2006
Walnut Grove
Don't forget no lighting. Hissing and crackling in the dark.....classic Sportsnet. This is going to be a disaster unless they completely overhaul themselves.
Not sure how people view TSN's coverage as this 'unsurmountable bar.' They are all well below typical American sports coverages.

That being said, SN is paying how many billions? Yeah, i think improvement will be in the works...

Tacos

Wheeeee
Feb 26, 2012
So, when can I start watching AHL games on TSN?
Not being an [MOD EDIT] or anything, AHL games are purely fun to watch

Last edited by a moderator:

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
This deal could be negative for the CFL. I believe recently the CRTC approved
of the removal of theme packs, with out hockey, people may not choose to
keep TSN. Less subscribers, less viewers for the CFL.

On the other hand, a gain for Rogers. If you want all the hockey, you will have
to subscribe to all the channels.

thevreelander

Nov 10, 2013
Bettman would've been smart to have moved Phoenix to Quebec last season knowing that a new TV deal was coming up, would've brought in a tonne more money especially from the French bidders.

Also, I'm very confused in the CBC's role in this and how exactly they're gonna make $ or what will happen to their staff as well as why the NHL opted to go exclusive rather than what they have now which is better (coverage on three major networks).

This is only for the English TV Deal. NHL opted to go this way because $.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

As a Canadian I don't get it either. Have you seen the layout from last Saturday's schedule if this deal was already in place? Every game from CBC's regional action would've been available to everyone nationally. There should be no complaining from anybody. We get more games and we get an extra day of exclusive national broadcasts. Instead of people not being able to get TSN2 from the previous regime, Sportsnet would have every game available to everyone. Wednesday, Saturday's and now Sunday's will be all exclusive national broadcast nights. Now I assume there will be some regionalization during the other days of the week but all in all this is a win for fans. For the people who loved TSN's coverage, you do realize that with this new deal we're all getting MORE games than TSN was giving us. As a fan thats all I care about to be quite honest.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

TSN was giving the NHL far less money than this deal. This deal is great for hockey. HRR is going to shoot up from this.

Maybe TSN can go after the IIHF rights and KHL rights?

I heard the Rogers' offer was 8 times the last TSN deal.

fallsviewafro*

As long as Ferraro / Cuthbert get picked up by someone actually carrying the games...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille