OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) IV - Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I'm not anti-comics at all - I still think most animated series (Batman, X-men, Spawn, etc.) stack up and Into the Spider Verse is amazing. But for me, most of the MCU movies are total lightweight trash with cringe writing and acting. Just my opinion so clearly most of the world disagrees with me. I did really love The Dark Knight and think it's only gotten better and more meaningful with time (save for the corny Batman voice).

I mean, I love crazy, explosions-first shit if it's done right. Loved Fury Road. But not when it's super formulaic.

I genuinely feel bad for younger movie/TV viewers these days. There are a lot of things that are good and nice watches now - Ozark, Queen's Gambit, etc. - but very few things that are truly great and memorable, stuff that will really live on. Video games surpassed movies/TV about 5-6 years ago in my mind.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I may have to check this out. Just got AppleTV about a month ago - finished The Morning Show last night, which was good and had watched Ted Lasso previously which I really enjoyed. Any other show recommendations for AppleTV?

Servant has been really good, it's like a horror/thriller/drama.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Yeah between TV and video games, they have surpassed movies as a form of media by a lot. The ability to tell more of a story and or interactivity really brings it out.

Amazing works like Chernobyl, Mr.Robot, Mandalorian ect really just shows the potential of that form of media compared to traditional movies.

Also the fact that I dont have to go and sit in a movie theater with a bunch of other people is nice..

Reactions: Oneiro

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Well said Afro!

My short version of why I didn’t care for Iron Man 3...

- Their take on the Mandarin was an abomination on what is Iron Mans biggest villain in the comics

Ben Kingsley was such a waste in that role, I was originally excited when he was casted because he's a great actor.

I also couldn't stand the kid in this movie as well.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
We've been watching Superstore, that's very much in that friendly comedy vein (Think Parks and Rec but set in a Wal-Mart). First few episodes are blah but it does find itself very quickly afterwards.

Superstore was great but they drove this final season off the cliff with scrapping whatever they originally were planning on doing to do awful covid episodes. It's really ruined the final season to me, the last few episodes have finally gotten away from it a little but they still wear masks but there's no rhyme or reason to any of it as to when they will or won't wear them. Just hate all of it.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I am so glad I was born in '77 and was able to live through the, in my opinion, Golden Years of REAL MOVIES with REAL ACTING with REAL ACTORS/ACTRESSES with REAL *ORIGINAL* STORIES AND IDEAS.

Now it's all about taking people's money. That's it.

Did you open the window and tell those damned kids to get off your lawn after this post? Lol

It's also always been about money.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Superstore was great but they drove this final season off the cliff with scrapping whatever they originally were planning on doing to do awful covid episodes. It's really ruined the final season to me, the last few episodes have finally gotten away from it a little but they still wear masks but there's no rhyme or reason to any of it as to when they will or won't wear them. Just hate all of it.

This is Us did the same thing. The show came back from hiatus and had characters wearing masks and my wife and I just couldn’t do it. We watch shows to escape this crap, not see it more.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I can totally understand a show that is based in retail to have the actors in the show wear masks...but with that being a final season that doesnt sound great. As covid limits a lot of what you can and cant do on sets I feel like.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn

I'm still working through the old episodes, I'm not current yet.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I can totally understand a show that is based in retail to have the actors in the show wear masks...but with that being a final season that doesnt sound great. As covid limits a lot of what you can and cant do on sets I feel like.

They could have at least done just a few episodes if they wanted to do some covid related stuff and then fast forwarded a few months and it's gone. It's trapping shows into something that they don't have to do. I can't imagine people would be upset if shows didn't touch on covid, personally I've had enough of covid on a daily basis for almost a full year now that I'm not interested in seeing it on scripted television shows.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I actually liked Iron Man 3 a lot, the super dry and sarcastic tone was a perfect fit for the character. Obviously there was some silly stuff but I think thematically it worked very well, it also shows us that Tony himself is the hero whether he has the suit or not. It's also the closest thing we get to a Vision origin story considering how important Jarvis is to the film. If you look at the Iron Man standalone films as a trilogy it works well as a conclusion to Tony's original arc while setting up the MCU's big picture arc. Ultron was a flawed movie but necessary for Civil War, and Ultron doesn't work without Iron Man 3. The worst thing about IM3 was the ending, Pepper going rage mode while Guy Pearce screams the thesis of the movie at the audience through bad CGI does a great job and ruining the rest of the movie.

It makes sense if you think about the Iron Man movies and villains it like A Christmas Carol.

Iron Man - The ghosts of Tony's past. Ruthless, selfish, uncaring, he would have turned into Obidiah had he not been taken hostage. In many ways Obidiah is a dark reflection of Howard Stark, whose shadow still looms over Tony at the time of this film. Tony can't become a hero until he deals with that baggage.

Iron Man 2 - The ghost of Tony's present. Tony has opened Pandora's box with superhero/ark reactor tech. Vanko is just as smart as him and Hammer is just as reckless as him. Tony needs to learn that he no longer has a monopoly on power and therefore he can't just act for himself anymore. Other people have the ability to check him now (other heroes, villains, or SHIELD) so he needs to get his shit together and finally grow up.

Iron Man 3 - The ghost of Tony's future. He has to decide what kind of hero he's going to be, will he hide in the shadows with no accountability or work cooperatively for the greater good? Killian is a shadow villain whereas Tony embraces the attention that comes with his position, and learns he has to accept the consequences of that even if it puts those he loves in harms way. This is his motivation for creating Ultron/Vision, in his mind it's a necessary evil.

The three of these work together to give us reasons why Ultron/Civil War/Infinity War Tony is the way he is. Tony and Steve and the most highly motivated characters in the MCU which is why they're always at odds, and his experience in Avengers 2012 shows us why he's so obsessed with Thanos. Thanos has Tony's drive, intelligence, resourcefulness, and recklessness, but lacks Tony's compassion. Tony will gladly sacrifice himself whereas Thanos will sacrifice everyone BUT himself.

Thanos is such a great villain because he brings out the worst in our three biggest heroes. Thor is arrogant and thinks he cannot possibly lose because of his destiny. Cap was quite literally born for war and runs headfirst into conflict looking to defend the helpless. Tony is driven to the point of obsession because for as smart as he is, he doesn't have an answer for Thanos. Thanos is the worst case scenario for all of them. It's amazing long term writing and none of it would work without the silly stuff in the bad standalone movies which look bad in isolation but make sense in the broader context.

Excellent review of the story arc. Like many, I found IM2 sort of meh although I like Sam Rockwell's performance. I liked RDJ in IM3 a lot but it always struck me as forced that NONE of the Avengers were able to assist him and he wanted no help from anyone at all. A little too convenient as I see it. Just my thoughts and I understand that many thought RDJ alone was the point of the movie in IM3 and I acknowledge the MCU did have to do something to bring down the scale of the movies after Avengers to build up to the next team up.

Reactions: Darkauron

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I’m still convinced that most of the world got tricked and didn’t realize that we got a secret teaser to Fantastic Four during the Super Bowl.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I’m still convinced that most of the world got tricked and didn’t realize that we got a secret teaser to Fantastic Four during the Super Bowl.

I didn't watch the Superbowl and didn't hear this news but damn that feels suspicious. Hell the original story was that they were a civilian family too. Would be a cool way to raise money for St. Jude's and release a movie trailer but then I saw Elon Musk was involved so that makes me doubt it lol

There's a countdown so guess we'll find out soon enough lol...

Inspiration4 - Home

Either way whenever the new Fantastic Four movie comes out there's no way they will fumble it like the last 3, that last reboot was especially awful.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Excellent review of the story arc. Like many, I found IM2 sort of meh although I like Sam Rockwell's performance. I liked RDJ in IM3 a lot but it always struck me as forced that NONE of the Avengers were able to assist him and he wanted no help from anyone at all. A little too convenient as I see it. Just my thoughts and I understand that many thought RDJ alone was the point of the movie in IM3 and I acknowledge the MCU did have to do something to bring down the scale of the movies after Avengers to build up to the next team up.
This strikes me as the biggest hurdle to introducing the x-men into the MCU. Why weren't they there? But again, they know we trust the process, and for good reason.

Reactions: My3Sons

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
isnt that going to be explained by the multiverse so they were not in the MCU previously?
We've already dealt with time travel in both, so nothing is beyond the pale.

I'm just having a hard time figuring out why mutants weren't in the fight and how they are going to explain it. Were they really hiding on Genosha the entire time watching the world burn?

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
so I finally got a new PC after 7 long years of using only a phone.

What games do I need to download?

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
DC has much better animated content than Marvel, but marvel has much better movies and TV (wandavision is phenomenal)

DC has Harley Quinn as well as a bunch of insane batman movies

Reactions: Devils731

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
DC has much better animated content than Marvel, but marvel has much better movies and TV (wandavision is phenomenal)

DC has Harley Quinn as well as a bunch of insane batman movies
I’m looking forward to the Sandman series coming out. Technically DC (Vertigo). It will be a tough one to get right, but if they do it could be amazing.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Honestly between the MCU, DC's Animated catalog, Amazon's The Boys, and Netflix's Umbrella Academy, there's just so much good superhero content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad