Prospect Info: Conor Timmins - D [32nd overall]

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'm going to venture forth what will likely be an unpopular opinion but...while concussions definitely kept Hishon from ever even getting a legit shot at the NHL, I don't believe he would have been good enough for the pros anyway. Even at the time that was believed to be an off-the-board pick, and Pracey's track record certainly doesn't lend much confidence to any supposition that he would've ended up being a good NHL player.

So, while I too automatically think of Hishon's story as it applies to this, I think comparing the two guys too closely is a mistake.
We will never know with Hishon. I think that's what frustrated me with all the set backs. He could have flamed out or he could have been a Jason Zucker type for us. I really hate McNabb

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Hopefully he still practices at least. Has he still been doing that lately?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Hopefully he can get fully healthy for his own sake. We'll just have to wait and see what happens on the hockey side of things because he just missed an entire season of development. I guess one positive is that he has been working hard and practicing for a while so it's not like he was completely shutdown but nothing compares to actually playing in competitive games and he hasn't done that in a long time. My expectations from just over a year ago following the WJC have gone from thinking he's going to be a legit top four D to who the hell knows.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Man not good news. Pretty sure the Avs looked at this the same way I do, that it's best for him to get some games in before the end of the year for his confidence.

If the doctors said he was healthy, I doubt they just shut him down to be extra cautious, it probably means they're not sure he's fully recovered yet.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Man not good news. Pretty sure the Avs looked at this the same way I do, that it's best for him to get some games in before the end of the year for his confidence.

If the doctors said he was healthy, I doubt they just shut him down to be extra cautious, it probably means they're not sure he's fully recovered yet.

If he is symptom free by the next training camp then I expecting him to fight for a roster spot next season. We should be excited for Makar and possibly Timmins making that jump to NHL if he is healthy and performs well in pre-season.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
It really depends if Timmins can fully recover or not. With that being said, the amount of research, methods, and technology the health system has now compared to even 5 years ago is astronomic. I have a family member that works at a concussion clinic that specializes in sport-related injuries and recovery. 5 years ago it was more or less sitting in a dark room and hope you recover, now it's actively visiting an OT clinic to help the recovery process goes smoothly and catch signs of any issues.

I have faith Timmins can fully recover. Do I think he has top pairing potential? Not really, but I can see him still turning into a very solid #3-6 defenseman.

Reactions: avsfan09

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
If he is symptom free by the next training camp then I expecting him to fight for a roster spot next season. We should be excited for Makar and possibly Timmins making that jump to NHL if he is healthy and performs well in pre-season.

The kid missed an entire year of development and has never played a game of pro hockey. Insane expectation.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

If he even plays next season I would expect him to be in a dog fight to make the AHL. He last played junior hockey and missed an entire year of playing and developing. He's going to be miles behind.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Kind of a hot take I guess but I'd say it's over 50% chance now his career is done.

"Sources say Timmins still is bothered by headaches" we are entering Marc Savard territory. It takes too long.

Reactions: RareDangles

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yep, just hasn't passed all the medical tests. The article states he's way better than he was at the beginning of the season but still not 100%.
That'd be good news if concussion recovery was linear.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
From what I read concussions typically get worse each time they happen. If that's correct then it's hard to believe that he'd play a contact sport anymore with this concussion still showing symptoms after such a long time.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
From what I read concussions typically get worse each time they happen. If that's correct then it's hard to believe that he'd play a contact sport anymore with this concussion still showing symptoms after such a long time.

It's more that they get worse if you get another one before you're fully healed. They believe now you shouldn't be at more risk if you're fully healed. That's why if he was fully healed, chances are they would have let him play games this year. Not a good sign that they didn't.

That's why players like Lindros kept getting concussed on every hit, because Philly made him come back too soon. Also why fighters get chinny and knocked out by hits they were known to just walk through in the past.

You have to take the time to heal after head trauma.

Reactions: McMetal

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I bet that Coach who didn't take precaution with him, feels like a bag of shit right now.

he's got 2 years left on his deal, so I'm hoping for the best, but this isn't ideal.

There's a lot of time between now, and the start of camp, and hopefully he can make good progress over the summer.

I'm sure he's going to do everything he can to have a pro hockey career....look how close he is. Must be difficult.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I bet that Coach who didn't take precaution with him, feels like a bag of **** right now.

he's got 2 years left on his deal, so I'm hoping for the best, but this isn't ideal.

There's a lot of time between now, and the start of camp, and hopefully he can make good progress over the summer.

I'm sure he's going to do everything he can to have a pro hockey career....look how close he is. Must be difficult.

I thought this was debunked already. Im not sure but I thought someone mentioned the coach was not at fault. I could be wrong though.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
With the way Eagles are playing, it would be hard to make room for a guy that's not played hockey in 12 months. Better to just have Timmins focus on off-ice training and get to camp in top shape in September.

Reactions: Bender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad