Prospect Info: Conor Timmins - D [32nd overall]

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
While it's got to be very frustrating for Timmins (especially if he's 100% healthy) I would much prefer the extremely cautious approach for many reasons. First and foremost, concussions can have life altering effects on people especially if not healed properly. Second, while missing a year of hockey is definitely not ideal in terms of development, another concussion could be detrimental to his ability to play moving forward.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
While it's got to be very frustrating for Timmins (especially if he's 100% healthy) I would much prefer the extremely cautious approach for many reasons. First and foremost, concussions can have life altering effects on people especially if not healed properly. Second, while missing a year of hockey is definitely not ideal in terms of development, another concussion could be detrimental to his ability to play moving forward.

And let’s not forget that he’s been skating for quite a while. Given that fixing his weird stride and adding 10-15 lbs should have been near the top of his to-do list, this missed season may not be as big of a loss as some are counting it.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
It would be a really bad idea for Timmins to play on the 12th or 13th against Ontario. Biggest goon team in the league. Except for the Eagles lol.
I'd say 3/22 is a more likely target. That's 8 games left. If he doesn't go by then, just shut him down.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Ryan Clark has a really good article on Timmins. Sounds like he's still a ways to go from getting games in. I wouldn't be surprised if he's done for the year.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Ryan Clark has a really good article on Timmins. Sounds like he's still a ways to go from getting games in. I wouldn't be surprised if he's done for the year.
In all honesty I don't want to hear about Timmins until hes on the ice playing games. Been through the rollercoaster with Hishon already of will he or wont he play and it sucks. I cant imagine what this kids going through to be so close to the show only to possibly have it all end in junior.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
In all honesty I don't want to hear about Timmins until hes on the ice playing games. Been through the rollercoaster with Hishon already of will he or wont he play and it sucks. I cant imagine what this kids going through to be so close to the show only to possibly have it all end in junior.

I don't mind updates at all. Hell, imagine the roller coaster that Timmins is riding for a second. Our ups and downs regarding his progress pales in comparison.

Reactions: klozge

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I don't mind updates at all. Hell, imagine the roller coaster that Timmins is riding for a second. Our ups and downs regarding his progress pales in comparison.
I did say I feel for the kid. So close to being in the show and he has to deal with this BS thanks to something in junior. The next bit of news I wanna hear about Timmins is that hes ready to play and is going to play for the Eagles.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The article can both leave you positive and negative about Timmins' return.

On the negative side it is highly possible he will not be playing any games this season as the Avs are erring on the cautious side of things. They really don't want to take any chances on risking symptoms to come back which is absolutely the right way to go.

On the positive side it sounds like the symptoms are completely gone and it is now just the case of"
1. Bringing him back very very slowly to make sure the symptoms don't come back by slowly increasing contact during drills/practices, and
2. Getting him back to game level as Cronin says that right he gets beat easily by AHL players. Understandable considering he hasn't done much in a full calendar year.

So it might not look good for a come back this year but it is very encouraging to see that the symptoms seem to be completely gone. From this article it looks very good that he will be playing with the Eagles starting next season barring any setbacks of course. Baby steps.

You can also get the sense that the Avs are that much more cautious with him because they are very very high on this player which is also encouraging from a fan perspective.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We'll see what happens. There was a time when I honestly thought Sidney Crosby was done and he's been fine ever since that collision with Steckel. The Clarke article is a good read. Hopefully he'll be gunning for a roster spot come training camp. If he's still not ready to go by then...then I will officially be wondering if he'll ever play.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
We'll see what happens. There was a time when I honestly thought Sidney Crosby was done and he's been fine ever since that collision with Steckel. The Clarke article is a good read. Hopefully he'll be gunning for a roster spot come training camp. If he's still not ready to go by then...then I will officially be wondering if he'll ever play.
Crosby was a superstar player tough, Timmins has not even managed to play a single pro game in his life.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Crosby was a superstar player tough, Timmins has not even managed to play a single pro game in his life.

Talent level has absolutely ZERO bearing on whether he will or will not recover from post-concussion syndrome. This is a biological issue. Some players bounce back from concussions, some don't. And some are more vulnerable to them than others.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Out of curiosity, has there ever been a prospect of similar age that missed a year because of a concussion but came back and fulfilled his potential?

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Patrice Bergeron missed a year because of concussion at the age of 22.
Bergeron was not a prospect at the time. It was his 4th NHL season, would have been the 5th without the lockout. He had already two 70+ point seasons before the concussion happened.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Talent level has absolutely ZERO bearing on whether he will or will not recover from post-concussion syndrome. This is a biological issue. Some players bounce back from concussions, some don't. And some are more vulnerable to them than others.

I think he's saying that this injury is going to throw off Timmins' development and prevent him from ever making the strides he needs to be making at his age, rather than his being a prospect will affect whether or not Timmins has to live with symptoms for the rest of his life. Even if Timmins made a full recovery, if it took him until the summer of 2020, that would basically end his NHL dream.

Reactions: TruePowerSlave

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think he's saying that this injury is going to throw off Timmins' development and prevent him from ever making the strides he needs to be making at his age, rather than his being a prospect will affect whether or not Timmins has to live with symptoms for the rest of his life. Even if Timmins made a full recovery, if it took him until the summer of 2020, that would basically end his NHL dream.
Definitely will stunt his growth if it takes that long especially since hes a dman and these guys need to get those games under their belt. Its a shitty situation all around. I hope it doesn't get to the point where quality of life is the thing to focus on for Timmins.

Reactions: cgf

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Crosby didn't need any development, he just needed to get healthy in order to play. Timmins is a prospect at the most critical moment of his pro career. He needs to play and learn, missing a year will most likely derail his career.

Again that has nothing to do with recovering from a concussion.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Again that has nothing to do with recovering from a concussion.
My point is that missing an entire year is going to have an effect on Timmins and his career. He should make a full recovery at some point but that does not mean he will ever live up to his pre concussion hype.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm going to venture forth what will likely be an unpopular opinion but...while concussions definitely kept Hishon from ever even getting a legit shot at the NHL, I don't believe he would have been good enough for the pros anyway. Even at the time that was believed to be an off-the-board pick, and Pracey's track record certainly doesn't lend much confidence to any supposition that he would've ended up being a good NHL player.

So, while I too automatically think of Hishon's story as it applies to this, I think comparing the two guys too closely is a mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad