Rumor: Conor Garland Contract / Trade Rumors (UPD: Coyotes are "very much trying to move")

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Losing respect for Seravalli on this one, who I normally like. I don’t think there’s any indication that we’re “shopping” Garland. I think Seravalli is giving into a posturing agent for the sake of easy “hey look at how dumb the coyotes are being lol” clicks

Reactions: 0point1 and rt

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
That’s not “significantly lowered internal budget”.

On a side note, I can’t stand backloading/frontloading contracts.
I can't look it up now, but they used to be worse. It's now limited in that each contract year has to be within some range of the mean value. I'm not sure if signing bonuses are a way around that.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
On a side note, I can’t stand backloading/frontloading contracts.
The Coyotes are only going to stay afloat the next couple of seasons by dumping the back half of their current backloaded deals, and replacing those with new backloaded deals. OEL is due 32 million over the next three seasons. He's got to go. If you sign Oleksiak as a replacement, you want to structure it like 3m, 4.5m, and then 6m in the final year. Then you look to move him after year two. Same thing if you move Kessel 5.1 million and then sign say Coleman to something like 4, 5, 6, 7 and then try to move him after year two or three. Those are just random examples meant for illustrative purposes. Put whichever players and amounts in there.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Losing respect for Seravalli on this one, who I normally like. I don’t think there’s any indication that we’re “shopping” Garland. I think Seravalli is giving into a posturing agent for the sake of easy “hey look at how dumb the coyotes are being lol” clicks
Maybe Peter Cooney (Garland’s agent) is one of Seravalli’s sources and is doing him a favor. Who knows.

Garland’s an RFA, those deals are typically the last to get done in the off-season and the player/agent have little to no leverage.

Non-story.

Reactions: Jakey53 and lanky

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
What’s funny to me about the Seravalli story is he mentions that we will have a significantly “lower internal budget” when Bill Armstrong mentioned like a month ago that he envisions he’ll be able to pay higher player salaries.

Friedman (arguably the most connected man in hockey now that McKenzie has retired) can’t get a peep out of the organization right now about how far coaching candidates have gone in the interview process, which is something that is usually leaked by now. He mentioned how they are getting crickets from the organization on his podcast today…

but Seravalli (who’s not even with a major media platform anymore) somehow has inside information about our budget…that contradicts what our own General Manger said a month ago?

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
What’s funny to me about the Seravalli story is he mentions that we will have a significantly “lower internal budget” when Bill Armstrong mentioned like a month ago that he envisions he’ll be able to pay higher player salaries.

Friedman (arguably the most connected man in hockey now that McKenzie has retired) can’t get a peep out of the organization right now about how far coaching candidates have gone in the interview process, which is something that is usually leaked by now. He mentioned how they are getting crickets from the organization on his podcast today…

but Seravalli (who’s not even with a major media platform anymore) somehow has inside information about our budget…that contradicts what our own General Manger said a month ago?
Yeah I was thinking that earlier too! It all just seems like spitballing without any actual substance.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio

You said it a lot better than I did. I’m too lazy to type out long winded posts on this site because for some reason the iPhone always refreshes while I’m typing and deletes everything I wrote.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
You said it a lot better than I did. I’m too lazy to type out long winded posts on this site because for some reason the iPhone always refreshes while I’m typing and deletes everything I wrote.
Just typed out a response to this and as I was finishing, it refreshed and deleted 2 paragraphs lol.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

Don't disagree but DailyFaceoff is a good site. That site was a major contributor in why I ran away with last year's fantasy league (against you guys, btw). Don't know much about Seravalli (way more knowledgeable about Brock, Dylan and Beebs) but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt given how otherwise excellent that site is

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

Completely agree, but he's no different than some posters here.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Mine does that certain times of the day and is fine others - ???

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
All speculation. People here know less than the media that knows nothing. We have an owner with deep pockets now. All this dumping salaries talk is not coming from the team.

But do we actually have an owner with deep pockets? Here's Forbes' list of billionaires --

Forbes Billionaires 2021: The Richest People in the World

You can search yourself for Alex Meruelo. He's not on there. But, he SAYS he is worth $2B. You'd think Forbes would agree he's worth half that, you know they've done the research now that he owns a major sports team.

Alex Meruelo - Wikipedia

Personally I think there is a good chance that Meruelo is a complete hack. No proof on my end. Only proof is that a) he seems very cheap (laying off many staff, enforcing a lower than required salary cap etc), b) years ago, NBA rejected his ability to own / run an NBA team and c) Forbes not even recognizing he's worth $1B despite his posturing he's worth double that.

Imo that should never happen. If I say I'm a millionaire then I'd think an independent auditor would confirm at least 500K of value you know? I guess what I'm saying is I think there's a good chance Meruelo isn't a deep pocketed owner like Steve Ballmer who can and did spend his way to build a winning team.

Meaning we should still consider ourselves small market. Even though we represent the 5th or 6th biggest metro in the entire country

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I believe he’s a multi billionaire but if you look at his NHL counterparts he is in the bottom five or so.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I believe he’s a multi billionaire but if you look at his NHL counterparts he is in the bottom five or so.

@Mosby why do you say that? (both that he's a billionaire and also bottom 5 in NHL owners) -- Not trying to start a fight, I respect your posts (esp with that new avatar, props from here that's a great picture). Just curious about your thinking from over here.

From my side, the main evidence I have is: 1) Meruelo saying he's worth XXX amount and 2) Forbes saying he's not even close to worth that amount and 3) press reports of the Coyotes being super cheap WRT staff layoffs, re-negotiating existing contracts. So I think I trust a relatively unbiased Forbes all things considered.

Am not an expert by any means but imo Forbes magazine doesn't have an incentive either way... and obvi Meruelo would want to show he's wealthy so that he could buy / afford the operating costs of an NHL team so has every reason to exaggerate his wealth if possible

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Meruelo doesn't have the income to subsidize a 20M+ loss every year by spending to the cap. His intent seems to be to run the team as lean as possible while trying to secure one of the sports betting licenses.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Forbes.com is pretty sketchy. The website has little to do with the official “Forbes Magazine” publication. The website uses “contributors” from around the world to basically write blogs for their website, and the “contributors” get paid for traffic, or clicks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad