Rumor: Conor Garland Contract / Trade Rumors (UPD: Coyotes are "very much trying to move")

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
The only way I see Conor moving is a huuuuge overpayment or part of an OEL package. Sounds like a nasty negotiation, it is a business for both.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Right now, Garland's agent is playing chicken with Bill Armstrong, and he's doing it in the media to rile up other teams' fans to generate some good buzz. It's his only play, because he knows he can't push Conor's price up based on his actual stats. Best he can do on that front is hit hard on "pace" and "If not for X, then Y."

Armstrong has countered by letting it leak from his ironclad Zone of Silence that he'd be just fine cutting Garland loose for some futures.

So yeah, it's not going to be a pretty negotiation. But we've seen this before (Mikkel Boedker or Tobias Rieder, anyone?). We've still got some dancing time left, and based on Nugent-Hopkins' rumored deal (dirt cheap, but with a full NMC), the market is adjusting itself as we watch.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
RNH is taking a crazy cheap long-term deal. $5 for 8yrs. C’mon Garland!
That should help big time with Garlands deal. His agent will be looking at Keller. BA can counter and say that's not the market we're in now, that deal is too much. A much more proven top 6 player, at a more valuable position just signed for 5Mx8.

For what it's worth, I'd sign both to that deal. Would prefer shorter term but the $ amount is great. By the 7th, and 8th year the cap will have substantially moved up and that will be 3rd line money.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That should help big time with Garlands deal. His agent will be looking at Keller. BA can counter and say that's not the market we're in now, that deal is too much. A much more proven top 6 player, at a more valuable position just signed for 5Mx8.

For what it's worth, I'd sign both to that deal. Would prefer shorter term but the $ amount is great. By the 7th, and 8th year the cap will have substantially moved up and that will be 3rd line money.
RNH is a winger.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Seravalli put out another piece today saying Boston may consider OEL AND Garland, as Garland is “clearly on his way out” of AZ.

> The Boston Bruins may revisit trade talks on Arizona Coyotes captain Oliver Ekman-Larsson. The bigger question: Could a potential package include winger and Boston native Conor Garland? The Bruins are believed to have interest in both. We know that Boston was one of Ekman-Larsson’s two desired locations last offseason. Talks came down to the wire of a deadline set by the Ekman-Larsson camp for new GM Bill Armstrong to pull the trigger, but fell short.

The big issue then – and one that remains to be seen – is how much money Arizona is willing to retain on Ekman-Larsson’s deal. He has a whopping six years remaining at $8.25 million AAV per season with nearly $50 million in real cash to be paid. The Coyotes were barely willing to move the needle then, sources suggesting a willingness to shave off $1.25 million or so per season, but even that was not firm. Will Armstrong be willing to retain more now? That is the key to making a deal happen, not just in Boston but anywhere else.

Ekman-Larsson is willing to be more flexible on his destination this offseason, as well. He will reportedly consider whatever is presented to him by Arizona, which is believed to be operating under a significantly lowered internal budget next season.
One way to better pique the interest of the Bruins? Include Garland in the conversation. It’s clear that Garland is on his way out of the desert. The scrappy Scituate, Mass., native has enjoyed success in a Bruins jersey before – racking up 42 goals and 94 points in just 40 games in a season with the Boston Jr. Bruins playing alongside Jack Eichel. (He actually outscored Eichel that season.)

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
No more NMC!! Ban them next CBA

Appears RNH got a full NMC.

I am curious what Army's stance is on those considering:

1. How difficult it has been to move OEL because of his NMC
2. The Blues don't do NMCs (why Petro left) and that was Army's training ground

Personally I'd only give out a NMC to a McDavid, franchise level player. Not the OEL types. Those types can have a 10 or so team list. But you don't get to handcuff the organization too. The big contract is enough.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Grimes

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Seravalli put out another piece today saying Boston may consider OEL AND Garland, as Garland is “clearly on his way out” of AZ.

Woof. If we are retaining on OEL and/or adding Garland I want some significant returns. Unfortunately Boston really doesn't have pieces that are that interesting to me.
DeBrusk feels like a must.
Carlo would be fantastic but they are already hurting on the blueline.
Studnika feels like a must.
I'd also ask for 22 and 23 picks. Boston could run into some goalie issues so I'd rather take the dart throw that they are worst the next two seasons than their 21 1st.

I just don't like Boston as a partner to dump all of our trade chips into.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Not a lot of upside in the Bruins organization. It would be about getting grit and middle 6 / bottom 4 guys if they acquire Garland. I would be underwhelmed with the return.
Exactly. I really like Lauzon and Studnicka a lot. Great character players, gritty, culture changers. But not top line players. That doesn't do it for me in a Garland deal.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Wait, we’re going to be operating on a significantly lower internal budget? That’s news to me. Craig said we’re going to have only a slight increase on internal budget. 65mil last year to 68ish this year I believe he mentioned

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Wait, we’re going to be operating on a significantly lower internal budget? That’s news to me. Craig said we’re going to have only a slight increase on internal budget. 65mil last year to 68ish this year I believe he mentioned

Salaries owed increased without trading or signing anyone due to backloaded contracts.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Garland was 0.80 P/GP. Tops on the team and way higher than Keller and Schmaltz. I would think Garland is worth 6+.
Well, he has been for about 60 games perhaps? Not a large enough body of work for an 8 year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad