Rumor: Conor Garland Contract / Trade Rumors (UPD: Coyotes are "very much trying to move")

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So not only are they going to trade Garland but they’re going to slap him in the face and treat him with disrespect on the way out? Cool. Cool.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Seravalli is going strictly off of the agent's spin machine. And with the information clampdown BA has instituted, we likely won't hear the Coyotes' side of the story for a while.

That said, this information vacuum, together with the absolute lack of any movement on about a half dozen fronts, is making me extremely curious about what Armstrong is actually doing.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Garland and OEL will probably be traded together. BA in the past do multiplayer trades?

Will be interesting to see what our salary be?

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
We don’t have a coach yet, we don’t have any assistant GM’s yet, and we’re prepping for the expansion draft and the regular draft and the potential trading of our captain/franchise player. Maybe a cost-controlled RFA isn’t the biggest priority at the moment.

Dont get me wrong i love Garland as much as the next guy and would rather we not trade him, but he’s not mcdavid or some other franchise level player, he’ll get his due. I’ll trust in BA until he actually does something to lose that trust that’s not being spin-doctored by agents and media

Reactions: Jakey53

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
So not only are they going to trade Garland but they’re going to slap him in the face and treat him with disrespect on the way out? Cool. Cool.
Craig tweeted that it's more nuanced than that. Which is understandable. No AGM which be the guy who typically handles the day to day negotiating.

We also don't know how much we have to spend on Garland with potentially trading OEL and Kuemper.

Maybe BA would like to do 6x5.5M but can't afford it without backloading the deal. Then he knows Garland wouldn't want 2M the first year, demand a higher overall average for the whole contract. Then it could become a 6x7m ask because Garlands doing us a favour in year 1.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
A silver lining in having OEL as a Coyote last season is that everything went perfectly for Chychrun. An OEL trade would have affected Chychrun in a big way - possibly making his season and development more challenging.
Chychrun is going to get OEL's treatment this year. Chychrun is going to be hit, slashed, crosscheck and no one will come to his defense. Sound familiar?

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Maybe BA would like to do 6x5.5M but can't afford it without backloading the deal. Then he knows Garland wouldn't want 2M the first year, demand a higher overall average for the whole contract. Then it could become a 6x7m ask because Garlands doing us a favour in year 1.

Maybe BA knows that Garland isn't worth either of those two contracts.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Here's a really dumb question from a really dumb guy (me): with Garland now technically out of contract, how does his current status affect the Coyotes expansion draft requirements? Trying to gauge if BA's delaying action is purely because of the contract demands or, possibly, to fudge around who he loses to Seattle.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Here's a really dumb question from a really dumb guy (me): with Garland now technically out of contract, how does his current status affect the Coyotes expansion draft requirements? Trying to gauge if BA's delaying action is purely because of the contract demands or, possibly, to fudge around who he loses to Seattle.

Nothing. He's not exempt so he needs protecting regardless.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
... does the expansion draft hold up a Garland deal?

Not likely as it's in everyone's best interest to trade for Garland before then. AZ has slots available and the other team might have players they expect to lose or might lose to put in a trade.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
IMG_5442.jpg

This year's offer sheet compensation

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Maybe BA knows that Garland isn't worth either of those two contracts.
Played at a 65 point pace last season. With a greater sample size he would be worth 7M. 5.5M is a reasonable deal for both sides. Guarantees Garland long term money, alleviates risk for the team in case he regresses. Would also make a lot of sense to do a 1 year deal, Garland bets on himself, repeats his performance, and gets 7M. The team could get to see if he's for real, if he isn't we're not over paying him. If he is then we'll regret not signing him longer for cheaper...

No impact. He's an RFA. His rights are owned by the team until the next FA date. As an RFA he can only be offer sheeted by other teams. If Seattle takes him they own his rights. They can either sign him, trade him, or have the opportunity to match an offer sheet. We need to protect him or else Seattle's taking him. Sign or flip for a quality asset.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
IMG_5442.jpg

This year's offer sheet compensation

Well, maybe BA's hoping someone will be dumb enough to offer sheet on $4.1M+ - that's an easy way to get a first round pick. Anything below that, and the Coyotes happily match ($4.1M is about what I'd offer Garland if I were in charge).

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Not likely as it's in everyone's best interest to trade for Garland before then. AZ has slots available and the other team might have players they expect to lose or might lose to put in a trade.
...unless the team trading for Garland has that 1 player and the Coyotes need to add to Garland, which would mean extra expansion slots.

Then thought about Oliver, how he could be dealt to Calgary if Gio gets selected by Seattle, (who then trades him to the Oilers).

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Well, maybe BA's hoping someone will be dumb enough to offer sheet on $4.1M+ - that's an easy way to get a first round pick. Anything below that, and the Coyotes happily match ($4.1M is about what I'd offer Garland if I were in charge).
I’d offer him 45mil over 8yrs for 5.625aav.

Trading Garland for a ‘22 1st and ‘22 3rd is horrifically bad value. And those assets will be meaningless until at least 2026. No thanks.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40

Trading Garland for a ‘22 1st and ‘22 3rd is horrifically bad value. And those assets will be meaningless until at least 2026. No thanks.
GMBA asks about a player to another GM. The 2nd response would natually be Garland. If traded, it better be a good hockey trade for the immediate future.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

No way I go 8yrs. especially for a very small winger who goes all out every shift. The chance of injury is too great.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3