Rumor: Conor Garland Contract / Trade Rumors (UPD: Coyotes are "very much trying to move")

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
That said, this information vacuum, together with the absolute lack of any movement on about a half dozen fronts, is making me extremely curious about what Armstrong is actually doing.

The optimistic spin would be, Armstrong plays things so close to the vest that we're unlikely to know about anything happening until it's pretty close to happening.

He's basically the anti-Chayka in that way.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Let them, then.

Holy cow. Not on your life. Garland doesn't merit that kind of contract. This is a guy who hasn't topped 40 points in a season yet.

It's not his fault he hasn't played in a normal season. Last year he was on pace for 27 goals, 47 points before COVID ended the season. This season he was on pace for 65 points. We sign him to a 1 year deal and he puts up 65 next season he'll be asking for 7M+. As a UFA he'll be in the 7-8M range. Go look at comparables with that kind of production.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
IMG_5442.jpg

This year's offer sheet compensation
It could be concerning if teams are able to offer sheet him. They could front-load the deal knowing we're on a budget to screw us. If they offer a 4x6M with 10M+ signing bonus in the first year could be tough for us to match.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It's not his fault he hasn't played in a normal season. Last year he was on pace for 27 goals, 47 points before COVID ended the season. This season he was on pace for 65 points. We sign him to a 1 year deal and he puts up 65 next season he'll be asking for 7M+. As a UFA he'll be in the 7-8M range. Go look at comparables with that kind of production.

We have got to stop gambling with contracts. Period. We can't afford it. We can't afford to handcuff ourselves to long-term contracts with clauses and such that restrict our flexibility until we have measurable stability with this franchise.

Chayka was the master craftsman of the "What might he do" and "What could have have done" contract. All potential, all theory, very little practice. Armstrong appears to be more practical - and I hope he is, for the franchise's sake.

Reactions: Surfshop

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
We have got to stop gambling with contracts. Period. We can't afford it. We can't afford to handcuff ourselves to long-term contracts with clauses and such that restrict our flexibility until we have measurable stability with this franchise.

Chayka was the master craftsman of the "What might he do" and "What could have have done" contract. All potential, all theory, very little practice. Armstrong appears to be more practical - and I hope he is, for the franchise's sake.
You can't just let good players walk. The team will never be stable without a performing in the ice. Who knows if Garland is asking for a NMC, or what $ he's asking for. But 5.5M with term, no NMC is a fair deal. Some risk for both sides, but if Garland plays like he did last year it would be a bargain.

And Chaykas contracts have balanced out. Chychrun is an absolute steal, could be worth more like 8-9M. Dvorak's is fair to could be a good deal. Schmaltz is slightly over paid, Keller is overpaid by 2M.

Reactions: Art.Vandelay

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
You can't just let good players walk. The team will never be stable without a performing in the ice. Who knows if Garland is asking for a NMC, or what $ he's asking for. But 5.5M with term, no NMC is a fair deal. Some risk for both sides, but if Garland plays like he did last year it would be a bargain.

Here's the thing about Garland - he's a good player, but he can't carry the team. I'd rather have four or five guys who are 3/4ths as good as Garland with size and durability than one Garland who might end up being a 50+ point player down the road playing with a bunch of fourth liners in disguise.

Team construction in hockey is all about depth. Only with guys like Gretzky and McDavid/Draisaitl can you make it to the playoffs on the strength of one or two players. If you're spending $15M+ (theoretically) on two small wings who might possibly end up being 50+ point players in a couple of years, you're not doing your job as a general manager right. It's that simple.

On a sturdier franchise with more disposable income, guys like Garland and Keller would be luxuries that you could afford to overbid on with the expectation that you'll hit the lottery with them. Our margins here are razor thin. So I wouldn't blame Armstrong one bit if he decided that he'd rather build a team that had better balance throughout the roster than give the bank and term to a miniature, thin-necked guy who has been the headhunting target of the entire league.

My ideal contract for Garland would be 4 years at $4.5 to $5M/year AAV. That's what his numbers justify. I might go up a little in dollars, maybe a year more in term, providing there are no attendant clauses. But if his agent is asking 8x$7.5 or something outlandish like that, by all means trade him or let him get offer-sheeted. That's simply absurd.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Here's the thing about Garland - he's a good player, but he can't carry the team. I'd rather have four or five guys who are 3/4ths as good as Garland with size and durability than one Garland who might end up being a 50+ point player down the road playing with a bunch of fourth liners in disguise.

Team construction in hockey is all about depth. Only with guys like Gretzky and McDavid/Draisaitl can you make it to the playoffs on the strength of one or two players. If you're spending $15M+ (theoretically) on two small wings who might possibly end up being 50+ point players in a couple of years, you're not doing your job as a general manager right. It's that simple.

On a sturdier franchise with more disposable income, guys like Garland and Keller would be luxuries that you could afford to overbid on with the expectation that you'll hit the lottery with them. Our margins here are razor thin. So I wouldn't blame Armstrong one bit if he decided that he'd rather build a team that had better balance throughout the roster than give the bank and term to a miniature, thin-necked guy who has been the headhunting target of the entire league.

My ideal contract for Garland would be 4 years at $4.5 to $5M/year AAV. That's what his numbers justify. I might go up a little in dollars, maybe a year more in term, providing there are no attendant clauses. But if his agent is asking 8x$7.5 or something outlandish like that, by all means trade him or let him get offer-sheeted. That's simply absurd.
5.5M isn't money you give to a player expecting them to carry a team. That's 10M level.

Garland at 5.5M is either a steal if he plays like he did last year, or a slight overpayment if he regresses to a mid 40 point level.

His agent did propose 2 deals, so maybe one is 7M with term, or a cheaper 1 year deal. If he does put up one more season like he did, he will get 7M with term either from us or as a UFA. That's what 65 point 1st line players get.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Chychrun is going to get OEL's treatment this year. Chychrun is going to be hit, slashed, crosscheck and no one will come to his defense. Sound familiar?
Difference is Chychrun can protect himself

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I wonder when the dominoes start to fall, and Armstrong's to-do list starts getting smaller.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I wonder when the dominoes start to fall, and Armstrong's to-do list starts getting smaller.

I would guess Wednesday (end of June) is his soft deadline to make a decision on a coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad