Rumor: Conor Garland Contract / Trade Rumors (UPD: Coyotes are "very much trying to move")

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Great point. We have to replace so many parts even without trades. If we go trading Kessel and Kuemper for picks, nobody is going to want to sign here. I’m sure very few want to anyway. I think moving out OEL’s 10.5mil is enough to overpay guys slightly and make them forget about that one move. But if we hold a fire sale before free agency begins, agents won’t even return our calls.
That's why I think we will make a hockey trade with Seattle. We could also look into ripping off TB. We have to at least look like we have a chance to compete by adding before free agency. The 11th overall would have helped.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
I think that is what it will be. Will want a limited no trade clause. That will be the tricky part

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I’d put money on OEL having a bounce back year for a NEW team. For the Coyotes? I’d put money against it.
Because of history with the franchise? New GM and new coach might change that. Tourigny is supposed to be really good and reaching and motivating players right? I'd say see what he can do with OEL.

I think the time to trade him was last season if we were going to trade him. I'd rather see what he can do with new coaching, then either he rebounds and we keep him/trade him for more value similar to last season's offers, or he doesn't and we're basically in the same spot we are now. Hell maybe a team with a GM on the hotseat starts cold or has an injury on D and that bumps his value even more. I only see upsides to waiting TBH, so I'd like to give Tourigny a chance.

Also f*** Lucic.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I’d put money on OEL having a bounce back year for a NEW team. For the Coyotes? I’d put money against it.
Well if we're putting money up, I'ld like to know what a bounce back year means in this case. He will have a better year next season then any of the previous Tocchet years. At 29, he still have enough to put together a career year. No more Tocchet is as much as a positive as no more Chayka.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Hmmm

Everybody wants Garland. All teams want him.

What can be had?

The Blues fans want to trade Tarasenko for Garland in a 3 way with NYR.

Lots of interest if BA wants a big shake up.
That’s terrible for Arizona unless the Blues 1st is also going to the Coyotes.

Reactions: Art.Vandelay

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I hope his agent understands the flat cap actually means the contracts now has to be lower than before, as you can't factor in the "and the cap will go up" anymore. This works twice: first in itself, and then because other guys are overpaid as they had it factored into their contracts, and the cap-space just isn't there anymore. This second part of it is unfair. But it's still there.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
We have no idea what GMBA is thinking, but where the hell are we if we trade OEL, Kessel, Kuemper and Garland. Four of our best five players traded in one off season. Has any other GM done that?

We will be rebuilding... that's where we will be.

Which will be sad, as we were on the cusp of winning it all.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We will be rebuilding... that's where we will be.

Which will be sad, as we were on the cusp of winning it all.
That's the problem. It's rinse and repeat every three or four years. We don't learn from our past failures.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
We just need a strong GM and HC that stay in place long enough for the plan to pay dividends. I'm feeling optimistic about the new leadership.

These days I'm more unsure about Armstrong mostly because he's such an unknown because his hands were so tied last offseason and still this draft due to the penalty.
His willingness to dump Stepan earned some goodwill from me, but aside from that it's a big incomplete. I do like the general cut of his jib though.

I wish he'd have cut bait on Tocchet mid season but maybe he doesn't have the organizational pull for that kinda move as of yet.

How he handles Garland's deal will be interesting. I hesitate to commit to a really lengthy deal due to how banged up he got last season and how it obviously impacted his effectiveness. On a better team he'd be more protected (both physically and with other players drawing that attention) but here he's not.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
We just need a strong GM and HC that stay in place long enough for the plan to pay dividends. I'm feeling optimistic about the new leadership.
I missed that initially so I thought I might highlight it for others who sometimes struggle with reading comprehension. You're spot on in saying sustained success will come from sustained strong leadership.

Edit: I should rephrase, I didn't miss it, but I definitely needed it emphasized on the first read.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
These days I'm more unsure about Armstrong mostly because he's such an unknown because his hands were so tied last offseason and still this draft due to the penalty.
His willingness to dump Stepan earned some goodwill from me, but aside from that it's a big incomplete. I do like the general cut of his jib though.

I wish he'd have cut bait on Tocchet mid season but maybe he doesn't have the organizational pull for that kinda move as of yet.

How he handles Garland's deal will be interesting. I hesitate to commit to a really lengthy deal due to how banged up he got last season and how it obviously impacted his effectiveness. On a better team he'd be more protected (both physically and with other players drawing that attention) but here he's not.
That's probably the most pragmatic way to look at the situations you listed.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We always hope the "new guys" are the answer. Like I said, rinse and repeat.;)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Good post. I'm kind of down on the Coyote organization overall. When AM bought the team he gave us stability, and I hoped he would bring in an experienced GM to right the ship, but he went with an unknown in Armstrong, who went with an unknown coach in AT. This could turn out to be the best thing to happen to this franchise, or it could possibly kill of the rest of the fans and franchise.

Reactions: KG

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Good post. I'm kind of down on the Coyote organization overall. When AM bought the team he gave us stability, and I hoped he would bring in an experienced GM to right the ship, but he went with an unknown in Armstrong, who went with an unknown coach in AT. This could turn out to be the best thing to happen to this franchise, or it could possibly kill of the rest of the fans and franchise.
I rather stay optimistic. Hell, we all agree,GMBA and Coach Tour ( I say that because it's Tocchet)is an improvement over their predecessors.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
That's the problem. It's rinse and repeat every three or four years. We don't learn from our past failures.
The result of being perennial paupers who never have the stomach for an actual rebuild. They were smack dab in the middle of the rebuild when the AB/Chayka bumpkins took over and immediately bailed in pursuit of mediocrity so AB could sell. The real question to me is does Meruelo have the stomach for an actual rebuild?! If he doesn't then it'd be stupid to go that direction because once the losses on the ice and the books start piling up he'll crack, they'll bail too early and once again we'll have endured years of misery and will have mediocrity to show for it. It'll be just as you said Jakey...rinse and repeat.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I rather stay optimistic. Hell, we all agree,GMBA and Coach Tour ( I say that because it's Tocchet)is an improvement over their predecessors.
We are hoping and praying. I'm tired of talk, I want results.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
We are hoping and praying. I'm tired of talk, I want results.
A little impatient? There is a time line! Expect trades to happen right after the expansion draft freeze is lifted and during the draft. Francis will be busy and cap will be at a premium. GMBA needs to make a hockey trade with Seattle and it would be a good spot for Oliver/Phil to land.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
A little impatient? There is a time line! Expect trades to happen right after the expansion draft freeze is lifted and during the draft. Francis will be busy and cap will be at a premium. GMBA needs to make a hockey trade with Seattle and it would be a good spot for Oliver/Phil to land.
I'm talking about the last twenty years.:) I understand the time line, I'm just tired of all the big talk which we all have heard a million times. Maybe GMBA will surprise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad