Prospect Info: Connor Zary, C, 24th Overall

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I think Pelletier tops out between a slightly better peak Tobias Rieder and lower end Mangiapane.

Zary is very similar to Monahan from what I've seen but I have my doubts he even makes the NHL fulltime

Coronato is a blue-chip (well by our standards) guy. I think he's a can't miss top 6 gunslinger

Kind of agree on Pelletier. He looks like a bottom 6 player to me. Similar to Yanni Gourde (without the 60 point season) maybe?

Hugely disagree on Zary. His hands, skating and vision are better at 19 than Monahan's are now. His puck skills and creativity honestly feel closer to Tkachuk than Monahan from a Flames perspective. He somewhat reminds me of Brayden Schenn.

If we're calling Coronato "can't-miss" or a blue chip prospect I think we're overrating him. He's not Debrincat or Caufield IMO. I see him as our top prospect and think he can absolutely be a top 6 (maybe even first line) player. That said, I don't think that he's leagues above the other two.

Last edited:

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I was wondering when they would figure out that to fix offensive issues the solution is NOT to put a 4th liner on the top line and PP1 but to actually use a player pegged as a top 9 type offensive player.

Love to see it. Where do you guys think he’s gonna slot in?
he should be on the left of Lindholm

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I'm confused; the offensively inept Flames called up an actual offensive prospect to try and help out? What madness is this?

Sutter must be rolling over in his uh, farm, that Klapka wasn't recalled to address the scoring issues. Actually no, that's a bit too much. Sutter would have just signed a Ritchie and put him on the first line.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'm confused; the offensively inept Flames called up an actual offensive prospect to try and help out? What madness is this?

Sutter must be rolling over in his uh, farm, that Klapka wasn't recalled to address the scoring issues. Actually no, that's a bit too much. Sutter would have just signed a Ritchie and put him on the first line.
Klapka is over a PPG, with 4 goals in 6 games.....

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Love to see it. Where do you guys think he’s gonna slot in?
My guess is 3C or 4C.

He's a playmaker, not a shooter, so I would like to see him with Coleman and Coronato. What I want....

Huberdeau - Backlund - Lindholm
Mangiapane - Kadri - Dube
Coleman - Zary - Coronato
Greer - Sharangovich - Duehr

But my guess is he centers Greer and Duehr and Rango moves up in the lineup. What I expect...

Huberdeau - Kadri - Sharangovich
Mangiapane - Lindholm - Dube
Coleman - Backlund - Coronato
Greer/Hunt - Zary - Duehr

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
My guess is 3C or 4C.

He's a playmaker, not a shooter, so I would like to see him with Coleman and Coronato. What I want....

Huberdeau - Backlund - Lindholm
Mangiapane - Kadri - Dube
Coleman - Zary - Coronato
Greer - Sharangovich - Duehr

But my guess is he centers Greer and Duehr and Rango moves up in the lineup. What I expect...

Huberdeau - Kadri - Sharangovich
Mangiapane - Lindholm - Dube
Coleman - Backlund - Coronato
Greer/Hunt - Zary - Duehr
steinberg has this set up
Huberdeau/Lindholm/Mangiapane
Hunt/Backlund/Coleman
Sharangovich/Kadri/Zary
Greer/Coronato/Duehr

Dube is on a maintenance day so one would think that Coronato is heading for a game in the press box.
and this is SOOO Flames lets call up a LW/C and then play him on the right...nobody quite says go out there and succeed like the Flames...

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
steinberg has this set up
Huberdeau/Lindholm/Mangiapane
Hunt/Backlund/Coleman
Sharangovich/Kadri/Zary
Greer/Coronato/Duehr

Dube is on a maintenance day so one would think that Coronato is heading for a game in the press box.
and this is SOOO Flames lets call up a LW/C and then play him on the right...nobody quite says go out there and succeed like the Flames...
If anyone, it should be Dube who should sit. Been a trash whole season.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Still waiting for the flames to put out their version of Hey Connor!! with Zary, and Iggy instead of Mess

Were not that stupid and lame from a marketing perspective.

It'll obviously be Lanny, calling from East side dodge.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I was wrong about him. If he plays like that even a third of the time, we still have a great player on our hands.

Our amateur scouting is excellent. Our pro scouting needs to be modernized

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad