Prospect Info: Connor Zary, C, 24th Overall

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
There was a lot of concern with this pick for me. It might seem to be very Zary, however, usually that Zary feeling you get when you're going to do something different is a sign that the difficult choice is going to advance your goals. However, you can't deny that it's still a very Zary.

Oh look, a door to leave the room and it's been opened for me. I shall take the subtle hint.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Not gonna lie, SUPER, SUPER disappointed we took him over Lapierre. He'll have a helluva lot to prove to me. I don't want another Backlund, swing for the fences, not for a single
Backlund is a great player. If Zary ends up being another Backlund I’d take that 10/10 times. Lapierre has injury worries and may not even make the NHL. I broke 5 vertebrae and I’ve never been the same again. Having a spinal injury I would recommend avoiding players with spinal injuries at all costs.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Watching some old interview. He says he likes watching ROR and Horvat as guys he likes to model his game around. ROR is a name we haven't mentioned in this thread yet.

That's a pretty damn solid pair of guys to emulate.

We also have Ilya Nikolayev who likes to emulate another defensive centre man who is Bergeron.

Once these guys start looking to graduate, it'll be very interesting indeed where they start slotting.

EDIT: I was also watching some of his movements. I can see where OKG was coming from in saying Monahan. Some of the movements are just efficient and boring. But I also noticed that at speed, some of his movements and stick handling looks like Tkachuk as well. So skills wise, this kid might be able to emulate the super efficient and effective moves of Mony and Tkachuk from up close. That's good.

He's also saying that he's working on his skating. That's also good. He seems to know what needs to be done to get to the NHL level. He interviews in a way that reminds me of Lazar.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
sounds like a Monahan type. I guess at 24 that'd be a win.

I don’t think he sounds a lot like Monahan. Seems like a highly skilled, player who can make plays. Skating will need a little work, but he’s a good 2-way player who contributes all over the ice.

I would have picked Lapierre myself because I’m a risky guy and I like the homerun, but I like everything I’ve heard on Zary and he’s gotten excellent reviews. Will be great if he grows another inch.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
I don’t think he sounds a lot like Monahan. Seems like a highly skilled, player who can make plays. Skating will need a little work, but he’s a good 2-way player who contributes all over the ice.

I would have picked Lapierre myself because I’m a risky guy and I like the homerun, but I like everything I’ve heard on Zary and he’s gotten excellent reviews. Will be great if he grows another inch.

The ladies disagree.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Will be great if he grows another inch.

tenor.gif

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Upside: ROR/Horvat
Downside: Lazar

Disagree. Holloway is making me think this comparison floor, but not Zary. Holloway would crap out as a speedster with stone hands like Lazar or Virtanen.

Zary looks like he would crap out as a slower skater with decent efficient and not flashiest hands, but some filthy moves. Wennberg maybe? Girgensons?

I can see why OKG thought that. The description says he's a sniper. Of the highlights I watch of him, his basic stick skills are very reminiscent of both Monahan and Tkachuk. Just random effortless/lazy looking whacks/flicks into the net in sorta slow motion. passes are the same too. You can kinda see he's processing fast, but his body and motions look like they are going just barely fast enough to do the necessary work, especially the shoot out goal.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
This is the kid I would have liked at 19 if we could have put together a package for Calgary around Keumper.

He's not a sure thing, but there's enough to like there that it's a great spot to grab him. If Zary was your guy, you guys played it perfect picking up the extra thirds!

I was holding out hope every time they announced a trade, especially the first time they traded down, because I figured you could probably keep the third and deal the first turning 19 into Keumper+whatever (and plus a third-- or two thirds after the second trade). haha

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Disagree. Holloway is making me think this comparison floor, but not Zary. Holloway would crap out as a speedster with stone hands like Lazar or Virtanen.

Zary looks like he would crap out as a slower skater with decent efficient and not flashiest hands, but some filthy moves. Wennberg maybe? Girgensons?

I can see why OKG thought that. The description says he's a sniper. Of the highlights I watch of him, his basic stick skills are very reminiscent of both Monahan and Tkachuk. Just random effortless/lazy looking whacks/flicks into the net in sorta slow motion. passes are the same too. You can kinda see he's processing fast, but his body and motions look like they are going just barely fast enough to do the necessary work, especially the shoot out goal.

I was not comparing style...just real good CHL junior players with some flaws or high end skills

Last edited:

Schred

Sep 6, 2017
I've only seen YouTube highlights, but I'm really liking this pick. Kid seems to play with intensity and loves to shoot the puck, and more importantly, score!

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

If there's no WHL season (they're currently targeting a February start) what do you do with Zary for the remainder of the year after the WJC?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad