Prospect Info: Connor Zary, C, 24th Overall

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
A late 2001 birthday, if Connor Zary was born a week earlier he would have been eligible for the 2019 NHL Draft. He was drafted by the Kamloops Blazers in the second round, 37th overall in the 2016 WHL Bantam Draft. After breaking out in 2018-19 with 24 goals and 43 assists for 67 points in 64 games, as well as four points in four playoff games, Zary has been even better this year. He put up 38 goals and 48 assists for 86 points in just 57 games for Kamloops. He even scored the coveted Teddy Bear Toss goal for Kamloops in December. Zary also played in the CHL Top Prospects game, recording three assists.

Zary has also shown his skills on the international stage. Last spring, he put up four goals and three assists for seven points in seven games for Team Canada at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. The Saskatoon-native also played for Team WHL in the Canada-Russia Super Series, picking up one assist in two games. Zary represented Team Saskatchewan at the Western Canada U-16 Challenge Cup in 2016-17, picking up one goal and one assist for two points in the five-game tournament.

Connor Zary Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #18 - Last Word on Hockey

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I like it. When you get a guy that they were suggesting as the BPA even before pick 19, plus two extra thirds, that's just good GMing. Good job, Brad.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Not gonna lie, SUPER, SUPER disappointed we took him over Lapierre. He'll have a helluva lot to prove to me. I don't want another Backlund, swing for the fences, not for a single

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Reasonable pick at 24, pretty great value to pick up a pair of 3rds to move back 5 spots. I would’ve preferred Lapierre to moving back twice though.

Sounds like if he turns out he could be a Backlund-level replacement at C. Time will tell if playing if ‘safe’ was the right call.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I admit, I was frustrated when we traded back... twice... but to end up with Zary anyways AND pick up a pair of extra picks along the way is just shrewd GMing. Can’t fault Treliving for that if this was his guy all along. Looks like Calgary was Zary’s team too, he looked elated that we drafted him haha.

As I said in the other thread, I would have been happy with Zary, Lapierre, Bourke or Perreault. We got Zary. So I’m pleased.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Seeing a lot of comparisons to Horvat, that's a pretty good thing for the most part (especially the reliable in all 3 zones, and good presence in front of the net). And again, he was expected to go around the 15-20 area, so he slipped a bit. If you were wary of Lapierre because of the injury issues, Zary was probably the guy you wanted instead. Extra picks, and still getting this guy, we take those.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad