Prospect Info: Connor Zary, C, 24th Overall

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

If there's no WHL season (they're currently targeting a February start) what do you do with Zary for the remainder of the year after the WJC?

For those that can play Euro or KHL, I'd keep them there. For those that cannot play, I wonder what happens if you include these prospects as part of the extended taxi squad but never actually give them a cup of coffee. It seems like it would be pretty effective NHL ish level training than sitting at home and not burn a year of the ELC?

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
For those that can play Euro or KHL, I'd keep them there. For those that cannot play, I wonder what happens if you include these prospects as part of the extended taxi squad but never actually give them a cup of coffee. It seems like it would be pretty effective NHL ish level training than sitting at home and not burn a year of the ELC?

Pelletier and Zary need to play lots, but I wouldn’t mind seeing them with our taxi squad and being with the Flames all season.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Looks like a decent player.. hopefully the next useful player like Dube

Todd Button may turn into an average scout if that happens.

Big progress

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Looks like a decent player.. hopefully the next useful player like Dube

Todd Button may turn into an average scout if that happens.

Big progress

The Flames' drafting under Treliving has been fantastic.

In fact, there's many models that show the Flames ranked #1 in terms of getting the most value from where they've picked.

Button and his staff have been terrific under the direction of Treliving.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
He is now tied with Dylan Guenther for the league lead in points per game, although Kamloops has only played 7 games while most others are at 14-15. Our 2020 draft crop is beginning to look very impressive.

On a side note, how nice would it be to have a second line of Pelletier-Zary-Guenther for the next 12 years.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
He is now tied with Dylan Guenther for the league lead in points per game, although Kamloops has only played 7 games while most others are at 14-15. Our 2020 draft crop is beginning to look very impressive.

On a side note, how nice would it be to have a second line of Pelletier-Zary-Guenther for the next 12 years.

I thought Pelletier was one of the better players for Team Canada in the Juniors and Zary has done everything you want in a D+1 year, is at 2PPG in the WHL and looked solid in the AHL and was contributing there as well, almost a PPG.

You can't ask more for a guy drafted at 24th overall. I can see Pelletier and Zary being the next Mangiapane and Dube, both middle 6 guys with potential to be more.

With a high pick this draft and a potential tear down for the next 2 drafts (I don't see it as I don't see ownership willing to tear it down and tank for a couple years), Flames could be sitting really pretty.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

baby shark

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
mew england
I thought Pelletier was one of the better players for Team Canada in the Juniors and Zary has done everything you want in a D+1 year, is at 2PPG in the WHL and looked solid in the AHL and was contributing there as well, almost a PPG.

You can't ask more for a guy drafted at 24th overall. I can see Pelletier and Zary being the next Mangiapane and Dube, both middle 6 guys with potential to be more.

With a high pick this draft and a potential tear down for the next 2 drafts (I don't see it as I don't see ownership willing to tear it down and tank for a couple years), Flames could be sitting really pretty.

That's how I view them also. We're building an abundance of quality forwards that are (or project to be) hard to play against in Pelletier, Dube, Mangiapane, Tkachuk, Zary. Throw in guys like Ruzicka, Pospisil and Phillips who could all be regulars sooner rather than later. And some intriguing youth like Pettersen and Heineman.

Some 2022/2023 lotto luck could really have us looking so bright.

3 ridiculous RHS jewels at the top of 2022 in Shane Wright (who looks stunning), Brad Lambert and Matthew Savoie. And then what people say are the best 1-2 since 2004 in 2023 with Bedard and Michkov. Like the probability is so low of it actually happening, especially with us being Flames fans and knowing how this story goes. But it's so fun to dream.

Last edited:

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Did I hear correctly that the WHL season is now over?
It’s scheduled until May 12th. I do remember seeing something that made me think it was wrapping up right away too.

I think it was a tweet from the Pats about how Bedard’s season is over

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

In these 2 games (his last 2) his statline is: 1G 6A 11Sog +5 and 31/49 on faceoffs. He was who I was hoping for at 19 last year so needless to say I'm pretty stoked.

Reactions: Mazatt

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Excellent vision, good skating, and pretty good IQ.
If this kid was like your 3rd best prospect, you'd be laughing all the way to the bank with your cupboard this full.

He'll be a pro, don't know what the upside is, but he'll play in the league. Could also be a key piece in the Eichel trade :laugh:

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->