Connor Murphy, John Gibson and Reid Boucher to OHL

R S

Sep 18, 2006
After the way things went for Jack Campbell last year, i'm kind of surprised that Gibson is expected to defect as well.

What happened with Campbell shouldn't affect anyone elses decision.

BluechipBulletin

Mar 22, 2011
www.bluechipbulletin.com

Why would USA Hockey be pissed? More American kids developing in the top Canadian league means more jobs in the US for American kids (Gibson, Miller, Boucher and Murphy opened scholarships that will be taken by American kids), meaning more opportunities for Americans to be developed at the highest levels. The Americans taking those vacated scholarships will in turn open up spots on USHL rosters for more American kids, who will in turn open up spots for kids below them.

For every one American who chooses the OHL over the NCAA, that's four, five, six American kids who get an opportunity to develop at a higher level than they would have otherwise.

Additionally, every American kid who takes a spot on an OHL roster takes away a spot from a Canadian kid. That means one fewer opportunity for a Canadian kid to develop in Canada's highest league.

Last year, 7 of the 20 starting goaltending jobs in the OHL were taken by non-Canadians. This year, that number will jump to - at the very least - 8. And that's assuming that Foote returns to Guelph, Sadikov doesn't return to Erie, Wedgewood and Mahalak both stay in Plymouth, Niederberger doesn't sign in Barrie and Mattson doesn't get the starting job in Sudbury. You could be looking at as many as 12 non-Canadian starting goalies in the OHL next year.

Think about that when you start wondering why Canada's goaltending sucks at the WJC.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Why would USA Hockey be pissed? More American kids developing in the top Canadian league means more jobs in the US for American kids (Gibson, Miller, Boucher and Murphy opened scholarships that will be taken by American kids), meaning more opportunities for Americans to be developed at the highest levels. The Americans taking those vacated scholarships will in turn open up spots on USHL rosters for more American kids, who will in turn open up spots for kids below them.

For every one American who chooses the OHL over the NCAA, that's four, five, six American kids who get an opportunity to develop at a higher level than they would have otherwise.

Additionally, every American kid who takes a spot on an OHL roster takes away a spot from a Canadian kid. That means one fewer opportunity for a Canadian kid to develop in Canada's highest league.

Last year, 7 of the 20 starting goaltending jobs in the OHL were taken by non-Canadians. This year, that number will jump to - at the very least - 8. And that's assuming that Foote returns to Guelph, Sadikov doesn't return to Erie, Wedgewood and Mahalak both stay in Plymouth, Niederberger doesn't sign in Barrie and Mattson doesn't get the starting job in Sudbury. You could be looking at as many as 12 non-Canadian starting goalies in the OHL next year.

Think about that when you start wondering why Canada's goaltending sucks at the WJC.

While I agree with your general overall point, I wouldn't just assume because more and more American kids are "defecting" to the CHL that it will only benefit other American players that get their spots instead. Some of those spots will go to Canadians too.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
While I agree with your general overall point, I wouldn't just assume because more and more American kids are "defecting" to the CHL that it will only benefit other American players that get their spots instead. Some of those spots will go to Canadians too.

Very true. You both raise great points though that I never even thought of.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
What happened with Campbell shouldn't affect anyone elses decision.

What-that he had an up and down year his first season in the OHL? Campbell will be fine.

Oh for sure, Campbell will be fine. He's far too talented not to be. But the adjustment was clearly not an 'easy' one. And i think it's naive to think that wouldn't at least enter into the mind of a guy like Gibson, following a pretty similar development trajectory thus far.

It certainly makes sense if he's looking to get a headstart on adjusting to that 'pro-style' schedule and atmosphere. But it just seems striking to me that Campbell's rollercoaster year didn't sway Gibson at all. When you'd think that coming up through that system, his loyalties might lie at least somewhat with the NCAA/US development system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad