Connor Murphy, John Gibson and Reid Boucher to OHL

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Interesting news regarding Boucher. He was stuck in a weird position since he was young for this draft class. When the Devils took him, I figured he'd be in a similar development path as Jeff Petry who had another USHL year after being drafted + three years at Michigan State.

Canuck71*

My God the news just keeps getting better and better for us here in Sarnia. Jacques Bealieu and the whole Sarnia Sting recruiting staff have done an unbelievable job this off season getting these top notch prospects to report. Sarnia isn't being viewed as a poor organization that nobody wants to play for anymore and by getting these top notch prospects its only going to improve the Sting organization for the better. I hope Beaulieu can keep on bringing in the talent so we can consistently compete with the London, Kitchener and Windsor for years to come.

I'm not trying to be a homer, but seriously, is their going to be any team more exciting to watch than Sarnia this year? I can't wait for the season to get underway.

EDIT: Its official, Murphy is signed. Boucher is supposed to be soon, but it's not official yet.

http://www.sarniasting.com/article/connor-murphy-signs-with-sting

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
thought for sure Murphy and Gibson would make team USA WJC before this departure, but now they can kiss their chances goodbye!

nah just kidding, anyone but Dean Blais at the helm would hold a real hard grudge against some of these kids, but Blais picks the best team possible and Johansen has no choice but to listen to him.

the US WJC could be very CHL populated once again, and I like that. I like players familiar with the enemy.

as for Boucher I think that makes sense. the kid has nothing left to prove in the USHL and his year gap might have actually hurt his growth imo. Smart move for Boucher to join the Sarnia Americans, err I mean Sting!

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
There is a good chance Reid Boucher will score 40-50 goals this season. As the youngest kid at New Jersey Devils rookie camp, he led the group in goals. He also scored 40 goals in 63 games with the USNTDP team and Team USA this season.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Boucher is such a sleeper of a player, can't believe I was able to grab him in my keeper league draft at 63rd overall.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I like it. And these aren't the instances where USA Hockey has held grudges against players so I wouldn't worry about that.

I think it's the right move for all 3.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Reid Boucher going to Sarnia is great news for his development. Basically accelerates it by a year, and he goes to a place where he'll hone his offense - which is what his entire game will be about. We'll worry about his defensive instincts when he gets a little older...

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
What a coup for Sarnia, and Kitchener finally has a goaltender (at least they hope).

The OHL's Western Conference continues to baffle me year after year with how strong it's going to be top to bottom. No other Conference in Canada can touch it in terms of year to year consistency.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Sarnias GM mentioned the OHL contract and Scholarship Package Connor received.

Anyone have any idea what that might look like? How does it compare with what Miami could offer(straight tuition, books, and housing kind of thing)? Are we talking big money? Guaranteed scholarships? Grad School? Just how much can/do Junior teams give out to top prospects like Connor?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Sarnias GM mentioned the OHL contract and Scholarship Package Connor received.

Anyone have any idea what that might look like? How does it compare with what Miami could offer(straight tuition, books, and housing kind of thing)? Are we talking big money? Guaranteed scholarships? Grad School? Just how much can/do Junior teams give out to top prospects like Connor?

The ohl allows teams 7 of what are called gold edc packages,

this allows a player to attend any university in the world, with books and tutition

however it should be noted that these are rarily used by players because most

sign pro contracts which make them void

these packages go to players who more then likely will be pros

ist rd picks by ohl teams when they are 16 automatically get them

other gold packages are handed out at the descretion of an ohl team

NewStingfan

Jun 3, 2011
The ohl allows teams 7 of what are called gold edc packages,

this allows a player to attend any university in the world, with books and tutition

however it should be noted that these are rarily used by players because most

sign pro contracts which make them void

these packages go to players who more then likely will be pros

ist rd picks by ohl teams when they are 16 automatically get them

other gold packages are handed out at the descretion of an ohl team

Just to clarify. The 7 "gold packages" that each team is allowed, includes books tuition, room and board, and all incidentals. Every other player in the league gets books and tuition. Also, the packages are limited to the university closest to where the player resides.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Just to clarify. The 7 "gold packages" that each team is allowed, includes books tuition, room and board, and all incidentals. Every other player in the league gets books and tuition. Also, the packages are limited to the university closest to where the player resides.

You are correct about the other packages,it is 150 miles within their domicile

some teams will sign players to 4 year deals yet they only play 2

the said players just dont get the gold edc packs

i know 1 team that has offered a player a 4 year deal,even if the kid only plays

one exhibition game,they want him that bad

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
I would have thought Rangers fans would have mentioned this on their forum because Gibson is an upgrade from Maxwell but it's not even being discussed. They should be estatic at least.
Hopefully USA hockey doesn't hold it against both players.

Maxwell was traded to Sarnia earlier in the off-season.
Most Ranger fans are happy about the signing on the teams unofficial forum on another site. Seems we tend to take the summer off and golf on HFBoards.

Gibson will be a welcome addition in Kitchener for sure. One would have to think that Anaheim might have swayed him one way?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Why can't you believe that when the guy was drafted 99th overall in the real draft?

Because we are talking about fantasy hockey. A large number of players taken in the first three rounds don't carry much value for fantasy hockey.

Boucher does.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
kinda sad that biggs is the only 1st rounder going to the ncaa, and I wouldn't even be shocked if he just plays one year there. I can see grimaldi having an amazing rookie season with ND.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad