Connor Murphy, John Gibson and Reid Boucher to OHL

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
With more and more American kids playing hockey with legitimate opportunity to carve out good-great NHL careers this is going to be more common. College hockey IS a great developmental tool and a great situation to play in and enjoy life, but there is no doubt that the CHL is more of a fast track career path, and that view is shared by many if not most in NHL management circles.

It must bother the NCAA teams somewhat but with the depth of players now available the impact shouldn't be as bad as it was 10 years ago+/-.

i love staal

Oct 19, 2008
I think this is a good move for Gibson. He would have competed for playing time at Michigan his freshman year, but now he gets a chance to play 50 plus games his first year after the NTDP program. At the same time, he is very physically and mentally mature for an 18 year old goalie.

Is this a good move for Boucher? Sure he most likely would have been one of the more dominant players in the USHL, but I think that he is probably 4 years away from contributing at the pro level. His skating still needs work, and his defensive play is subpar. I do think that he needs to physically develop as well.

This is a good move for Murphy because he missed so much time the past two years, and it will be good for him to get a lot of games under his belt. He will probably be a 20 plus minute player at Sarnia this year, as opposed to whatever he may have gotten at a top NCAA program competing with upperclass men. His game is mature as well, so I think he would have only needed 2 years at the NCAA level anyway.

Darius Dangleaitis

Padowan Kovalchuk
Jul 31, 2006
Morristown, NJ
If Boucher doesn't make the WJC team this year, I'd be shocked if he's left out for 2013.

Either way, I love this move for his development. He'll be playing against better competition, and more importantly, with better linemates/teammates.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Is this a good move for Boucher? Sure he most likely would have been one of the more dominant players in the USHL, but I think that he is probably 4 years away from contributing at the pro level. His skating still needs work, and his defensive play is subpar. I do think that he needs to physically develop as well.

I think so. He can work on those things in the CHL, too. Boucher, like most prospects, will only improve on their weaknesses if they're dedicated to addressing them. Where they're at while doing so is secondary in my opinion. If he's committed to working as hard as possible to improve those areas, I think he's better off playing more games against better competition. If he weren't a late birthdate and thus would have been playing NCAA hockey this season, I would have said it's a moot argument either way but I think he's better off in the CHL than going to the USHL this year. His development this season will obviously tell if that was the right move or not but I think it's a right first step.

Last edited:

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
If he was headed to the NCAA this year, I have no doubt that he would not be going to the CHL. He has nothing left to prove in the USHL, and at this point the most viable option is the CHL.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
The Sting are announcing another signing today at 1PM, one would have to think it will be Boucher.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
The NCAA has to be pissed, this is happening more and more every year.

There is a movement down here to get the NCAA and CHL in a room to talk this over. At some point this is going to have to happen and it had better happen sooner rather than later.

80% of the USHL games that I saw last year were better than the couple of dozen NCAA games I saw.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
There is a movement down here to get the NCAA and CHL in a room to talk this over. At some point this is going to have to happen and it had better happen sooner rather than later.

80% of the USHL games that I saw last year were better than the couple of dozen NCAA games I saw.

Im not sure what leverage the NCAA has with that thou. The CHL loves the set up now, so what motives will they have to come to an agreement?

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Gibson was a commit to OSU and then bailed on them to sign with us, and has now bailed on us to play in the OHL. Seems the kid has some character and commitment issues.

I have no problem with anyone choosing to play in the OHL, but to do it this late in the game leaves a pretty nasty taste in your mouth and doesn't look good on the player. IMO

I totally disagree.
It is far from late in the game as the NHL draft was only 50-60 days ago.
As RS stated NHL clubs have a say in this.

In my mind the best interest of the kid/player is #1....not the NCAA or CHL club.
The NCAA has dinosaur rules that look out for their own well being 1st....the individual kid/player and the game of hockey is an after thought to them.

For every kid that "bails" on the NCAA the NCAA "bails" on a kid.

Canuck71*

Reid Boucher officially signed by the sting today. Link:

http://www.sarniasting.com/article/reid-boucher-signs-with-sting

Huge signing for the Sting. If Beaulieu manages to add another solid 4/5 defenseman this team will have all the talent in the world and if they manage to put it all together they could make a run for the top of the conference.

Also very strange interview that Boucher had at the draft. He was clearly set on Michigan State at the draft, Devils must have really preferred for him to be playing in the OHL.

i love staal

Oct 19, 2008
I think so. He can work on those things in the CHL, too. Boucher, like most prospects, will only improve on their weaknesses if they're dedicated to addressing them. Where they're at while doing so is secondary in my opinion. If he's committed to working as hard as possible to improve those areas, I think he's better off playing more games against better competition. If he weren't a late birthdate and thus would have been playing NCAA hockey this season, I would have said it's a moot argument either way but I think he's better off in the CHL than going to the USHL this year. His development this season will obviously tell if that was the right move or not but I think it's a right first step.

I agree that playing in the CHL will improve those things as long as he works at it, but I believe he is at least 3 or 4 years away from contributing at the AHL level. He really now only has a 2 maybe 3 (depending on overage years) to earn a contract now. That may just be my opinion though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I totally disagree.
It is far from late in the game as the NHL draft was only 50-60 days ago.
As RS stated NHL clubs have a say in this.

In my mind the best interest of the kid/player is #1....not the NCAA or CHL club.
The NCAA has dinosaur rules that look out for their own well being 1st....the individual kid/player and the game of hockey is an after thought to them.

For every kid that "bails" on the NCAA the NCAA "bails" on a kid.

Yes the NCAA has some terrible rules, but to me I see it more as the kids are bailing out on the team than the NCAA.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Yes the NCAA has some terrible rules, but to me I see it more as the kids are bailing out on the team than the NCAA.

Get rid of the stupid archaic rules and there wont be so much bailing

I am sure the CHL hopes that the NCAA remains behind the times

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

I agree.

If a letter of intent is signed, then I think some type of legal action needs to be put in place. I have no idea on Earth if that is possible, but these kids are taking scholarships away from other kids, then bolting on those same scholarships. I do not like that at all. I do not care about verbal commitments, as they are meaningless. But once you sign your National Letter of Intent, then that is a different story. I also want to see these verbal commitments at the ages of 14 and 15 stopped completely. they are creating a bididng war of sorts and really has no point to them. DeAngelo and Erne are CHL bound, what was the point of an NCAA commit at the age of 15 then? It is stupid.

I would love to see a ban put in place by the NHL or whoever if it cant legally be done, that if a player signs a letter of intent to a college team, then that player would have to sit out that year if he wanted to transfer out to the CHL. It would stop a lot of this crap from happening. If a player would have to sit out a year like they would if they went from one NCAA team to another, then this would hault this trend asap.

I also want to see the NHL make the same rules for both the CHL and NCAA. If a CHL player cannot be in the AHL before the age of 20, then neither should an NCAA player, or player drafted out of US highschool or the USHL. This seems to be a hot issue with players leaving college early and turning pro, and then the players that are using their NCAA or USHL draft season as a means to circumvent the system are going to the CHL to get fast tracked to the NHL. That might stop some of this as well.

And finally, the NCAA needs to remove the pro tag from the CHL. Plain and simple. The NCAA would be getting dozens of players a year coming from the CHL if they did this. It is just a one way street at this point, and it is beyond silly to keep this up any longer.

I want to see more highend players go to the CHL, so this isnt anti-CHL talk. I think it is a terrible issue for these individual teams losing kids that they spent time and effort on. I hate the NCAA as a whole with a passion. They are greedy, filthy pigs that profit off of young adults. But individual programs are suffering and that needs to be addressed asap.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If these kids were bailing on Miami to go to Michigan or bailing on NoDak to go to Wisco, I could see the gripe. The CHL is an entirely different story. To me, Murphy signing a letter for Miami is him saying that if he goes to college, thats the college he's going. Fine. Doesn't mean he can't go to the CHL, instead, though.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If these kids were bailing on Miami to go to Michigan or bailing on NoDak to go to Wisco, I could see the gripe. The CHL is an entirely different story. To me, Murphy signing a letter for Miami is him saying that if he goes to college, thats the college he's going. Fine. Doesn't mean he can't go to the CHL, instead, though.

if you cant see the problems with this so close to the start of college RT, then I dont know what to say. it is very damaging to these individual programs, and could start getting way out of hand.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
I agree.

If a letter of intent is signed, then I think some type of legal action needs to be put in place. I have no idea on Earth if that is possible, but these kids are taking scholarships away from other kids, then bolting on those same scholarships. I do not like that at all. I do not care about verbal commitments, as they are meaningless. But once you sign your National Letter of Intent, then that is a different story. I also want to see these verbal commitments at the ages of 14 and 15 stopped completely. they are creating a bididng war of sorts and really has no point to them. DeAngelo and Erne are CHL bound, what was the point of an NCAA commit at the age of 15 then? It is stupid.
I would love to see a ban put in place by the NHL or whoever if it cant legally be done, that if a player signs a letter of intent to a college team, then that player would have to sit out that year if he wanted to transfer out to the CHL. It would stop a lot of this crap from happening. If a player would have to sit out a year like they would if they went from one NCAA team to another, then this would hault this trend asap.

I also want to see the NHL make the same rules for both the CHL and NCAA. If a CHL player cannot be in the AHL before the age of 20, then neither should an NCAA player, or player drafted out of US highschool or the USHL. This seems to be a hot issue with players leaving college early and turning pro, and then the players that are using their NCAA or USHL draft season as a means to circumvent the system are going to the CHL to get fast tracked to the NHL. That might stop some of this as well.

And finally, the NCAA needs to remove the pro tag from the CHL. Plain and simple. The NCAA would be getting dozens of players a year coming from the CHL if they did this. It is just a one way street at this point, and it is beyond silly to keep this up any longer.

I want to see more highend players go to the CHL, so this isnt anti-CHL talk. I think it is a terrible issue for these individual teams losing kids that they spent time and effort on. I hate the NCAA as a whole with a passion. They are greedy, filthy pigs that profit off of young adults. But individual programs are suffering and that needs to be addressed asap.

The letter of intent for most reasonable aged players is to let all other programs know that they need to stop recruiting "me", I have made my decision. I am not sure what age a player has to be before they can be contacted by a program, so this could not be a valid reason for players like Erne commiting at such a young age.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Are there any other players that could jump ship? I understand they are all eligible to do so, but any rumblings?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Reid Boucher officially signed by the sting today. Link:

http://www.sarniasting.com/article/reid-boucher-signs-with-sting

Huge signing for the Sting. If Beaulieu manages to add another solid 4/5 defenseman this team will have all the talent in the world and if they manage to put it all together they could make a run for the top of the conference.

Also very strange interview that Boucher had at the draft. He was clearly set on Michigan State at the draft, Devils must have really preferred for him to be playing in the OHL.

I think it's more that the Devils want him in the OHL rather than the USHL next year.

FirmestPiano

May 22, 2011
I think it's more that the Devils want him in the OHL rather than the USHL next year.

Wrong.

Lamoriello said 2011 fourth-round pick Reid Boucher kept the Devils informed of his decision to pass on going to Michigan State and sign with the Sarnia Sting of the OHL instead, but the team was not involved or did not try to influence that decision in any way (the Devils’ standard approach in such situations).

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/barr_to_give_deboer_another_outside_perspective/

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
After the way things went for Jack Campbell last year, i'm kind of surprised that Gibson is expected to defect as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->