Connor McDavid Point Projections

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
If he plays the full 82 games or close to it, I'd be shocked to see him under 65. I'll say 70 points. He's more talented than our other 1st overalls, and he'll have the advantage of playing with them (while they didn't really have any talent to play with as rookies) right off the bat.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
Said 90-99

There is just way too much offensive talent on this team to hold them back.

This year will be a breakout year for all of the Oilers kids and McDavid is going to be a huge benefactor of this, not that he even needs it but it would definitely push him into the 90+ range.

Eirhead*

This year will be a breakout year for all of the Oilers kids and McDavid is going to be a huge benefactor of this, not that he even needs it but it would definitely push him into the 90+ range.

Benefactor or driver?

i-dont-know.jpg

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I expect him to be better than RNH was at his age, because, quite frankly he's a lot better than RNH was at his age, not to mention the team he'll be playing on appears to be better.

In RNH's first year: G: 18, A: 34, P: 52

I'd be happy with G: 25-30, A: 40-50 P: 65-80
as a first year from McDavid if he stays healthy and plays between 65-82 games. I think he'll definitely have more assists then he will have goals.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I think he'll get around 65. Maybe more if Hall can stay healthy for a full season

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I think 65 points is realistic

this isn't the NHL Sid came into....90 points probably wins the Art Ross these days...such a low-scoring league

plus the Oilers have never been able to put all that talent together and actually score a lot of goals...maybe McLellan can do it but I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt

Eirhead*

82 games:

22 goals
40 assists
62 points

I've said it since the start.

A lot of really low-ball predictions here... The kid we got out-paced Eric Lindros' and Sidney Crosby's last major junior playoff point productions. And they all had far superior rookie seasons to that. Nevermind the fact that you can argue they came into the league without anywhere near the support McDavid will have. I honestly won't be surprised if he hits triple digits... but I would be very surprised if he's under 75 for any reason other than injury.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
He'll score more than Eichel, in fewer games, but just won't have the leadership intangibles and +/- that Eichel has, so

CONGRATULATIONS Jack Eichel
2015-16 Calder Trophy Winner

Yeah, I'd say Eichel wins the Calder trophy because intangibles lol

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I think it's pretty unlikely that, as a rookie, McDavid outscores Crosby's last season. I'd say 70-79, and that's assuming he gets tons of PP time and plays with two of Hall/Yak/Ebs

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Don't know & don't care. Just happy to have him.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
If he got 70 points as our second line center I would be absolutely thrilled. Just seems terribly unrealistic.

I have a hard time seeing him getting even 60.

How have you guys not had your expectations beat out of you yet?

haha I am with you I've been burned too many times. Sub 45-55 points for me.

ATBLeafsTyler

Dec 15, 2014
Newmarket, Ontario
A lot of really low-ball predictions here... The kid we got out-paced Eric Lindros' and Sidney Crosby's last major junior playoff point productions. And they all had far superior rookie seasons to that. Nevermind the fact that you can argue they came into the league without anywhere near the support McDavid will have. I honestly won't be surprised if he hits triple digits... but I would be very surprised if he's under 75 for any reason other than injury.

This. I can't believe how low some of the predictions are. Only way he will score only 40 points on the season is if he only plays 30-40 games IMO

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
I expect him to be better than RNH was at his age, because, quite frankly he's a lot better than RNH was at his age, not to mention the team he'll be playing on appears to be better.

In RNH's first year: G: 18, A: 34, P: 52

I'd be happy with G: 25-30, A: 40-50 P: 65-80
as a first year from McDavid if he stays healthy and plays between 65-82 games. I think he'll definitely have more assists then he will have goals.

As I recall, RNH had a really sick start to his career and was scoring at a PPG pace. :amazed:

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
This. I can't believe how low some of the predictions are. Only way he will score only 40 points on the season is if he only plays 30-40 games IMO

We're just keeping expectations realistic. I think IMO, it's very unfair to project that McDavid will score 70 points. He's young and he's going to go through some bumps and adjustments going into the NHL.

ATBLeafsTyler

Dec 15, 2014
Newmarket, Ontario
We're just keeping expectations realistic. I think IMO, it's very unfair to project that McDavid will score 70 points. He's young and he's going to go through some bumps and adjustments going into the NHL.

Yeah but he's also a generational talent. This is no Taylor Hall, RNH or Steven Stamkos rookie season. This is Connor McDavid who scored at almost the same Point Per Game rate than Crosby, but in an arguably tougher junior league.

If people want to keep their expectations low, hey, I can see how that's better. Then you would be a lot happier if he exceeded that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad