Connor McDavid Playoff Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Yes it is his first playoff and he hasnt been bad, but the hype is saying that he already is a tier above everyone else. We have also seen this internationally, that he hasnt been as good as he is in the regular season inj NHL. Again he is young and it is his first playoff etc, but maybe the extreme hype should tone down just a little bit. It do not mean he sucks or anything like that, i just think the hype goes to far sometimes.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Mcdavid looks ordinary when he isn't padding his stats vs bottom feeder pacific teams like van arizona.

Completely no show especially game 7 . Very perimeter based game like Ovechkin.

McDavid had 7 points in 5 games against the Ducks, 4 in 2 against the Penguins, 3 in 3 versus Nashville, and 2 in 2 versus Ottawa ... so looks me like he's capable of scoring just fine against any of the top remaining teams left.

McDavid simply has a far better hockey I.Q. and work ethic than Ovechkin, and even if those aspects were equal, Ovy simply cannot impact the game as much as a winger versus what a center can do.

Connor will be far better overall than Ovy, hate to break it to you, McDavid's floor is a better Pavel Datsyuk, his roof is somewhere above Crosby and near Mario.

GrouperTrooper

Jan 17, 2008
Florida
Which would be 82 points over a season. Crosby scored 120 points that year. So, I think their dropoff was exactly the same, although I'm terrible at math and might be completely wrong.

Sid broke his foot with a week or two left in the regular season and his pace slowed IIRC.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
But is he Mark Letestu good?

Sid broke his foot with a week or two left in the regular season and his pace slowed IIRC.

High ankle sprain, not broke his foot. I've had that before and while I've played for 30+ years now, doing it at that level has to be rough and it had to have affected him a while, when I had it, it took me 2 months to 100% recover as I damaged tendons which is most often the case in those scenarios.

Skate2Stick

Oct 12, 2013
It's one post-season...you think all players light it up every post season. Look at Crosby in 2013-14. 104 points in 81 regular season games then he had 1 goal and 8 assists in 13 games.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's one post-season...you think all players light it up every post season. Look at Crosby in 2013-14. 104 points in 81 regular season games then he hadn't 1 goal and 8 assists in 13 games.

Before this post season, Crosby actually hasn't had a PPG post season in the previous like 3 playoff seasons for him. It's been a while.

brodano

Oct 19, 2011
i would rather the leafs fall short with what they had this season, than to stretch themselves out and make an ill advised run like the oil did. say bye bye to your cap in 2-3 years.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
i would rather the leafs fall short with what they had this season, than to stretch themselves out and make an ill advised run like the oil did. say bye bye to your cap in 2-3 years.

Stretch what?

The extra round gave the Oilers much valuable experience in winning a round and experiencing a game 7.

That stuff dramatically accelerates a rebuild.

Good players get paid, there's no two ways around that, you might as well then sit and pray Matthews and Marner have sophomore slumps for the sake of the cap ... but how stupid would that be?

No this experience is phenomenal for the Oilers, now they know how to close out a series, what a game 7 in the playoffs feels like, how it feels to come back and win after 2 devastating losses, and that they can win even without McDavid carrying the load.

In all honesty the other teams in the West should not be happy with any of that at all. The slow burn of "well ok, next year maybe they'll just be satisfied with getting to round 2" isn't going to hold.

Your line of thinking is just plain wrong IMO. You want that window to open as quickly as possible, ask the Pens.

brodano

Oct 19, 2011
Stretch what?

The extra round gave the Oilers much valuable experience in winning a round and experiencing a game 7.

That stuff dramatically accelerates a rebuild.

Good players get paid, there's no two ways around that, you might as well then sit and pray Matthews and Marner have sophomore slumps for the sake of the cap.

No this experience is phenomenal for the Oilers, now they know how to close out a series, what a game 7 in the playoffs feels like, how it feels to come back and win after 2 devastating losses, and that they can win even without McDavid carrying the load.

In all honesty the other teams in the West should not be happy with any of that at all. The slow burn of "well ok, next year maybe they'll just be satisfied with getting to round 2" isn't going to hold.

Your line of thinking is just plain wrong IMO.

well we wont have stupid contracts like RNH, Lucic, and Eberle. and whatever other ******** contracts they have. it'll be all cute until mcdavid has to sign a big boy contract and the guys clogging up your cap will drag you down.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Yes it is his first playoff and he hasnt been bad, but the hype is saying that he already is a tier above everyone else. We have also seen this internationally, that he hasnt been as good as he is in the regular season inj NHL. Again he is young and it is his first playoff etc, but maybe the extreme hype should tone down just a little bit. It do not mean he sucks or anything like that, i just think the hype goes to far sometimes.

Connor will be far better overall than Ovy, hate to break it to you, McDavid's floor is a better Pavel Datsyuk, his roof is somewhere above Crosby and near Mario.

Like this you mean?

It is unfair to conclude he isn't a great playoff performer after one year but it is not unfair to wonder if his game can be as dominant in the playoffs.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Before this post season, Crosby actually hasn't had a PPG post season in the previous like 3 playoff seasons for him. It's been a while.

What does this have to do with anything?

Are you saying that we should judge Crosby to be the best in the world right now because he has outscored McDavid in these playoffs?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
well we wont have stupid contracts like RNH, Lucic, and Eberle. and whatever other ******** contracts they have. it'll be all cute until mcdavid has to sign a big boy contract and the guys clogging up your cap will drag you down.

RNH and Eberle are easy enough to move, hell Vegas would take Eberle in 2 seconds if he was available in the expansion draft. Many teams like Montreal, New Jersey, Arizona, NY Islanders, etc. would take Nugent Hopkins too.

I've crunched the Oilers projected cap many times too, I'm a big fan. You never were going to somehow get McDavid for like 5 mill/season, so that was silly, and Leon was gonna get paid fairly well anyway, at worse, he gets paid a bit more now, but whoopity doo you have maybe $1 mill less/season to spend on a 4th line plug.

The sooner you can get into a "win now" mode the better IMO. Chicago and Pittsburgh showed that, Oilers got a great crash course in playoff hockey, and not just like 'oh we played a few games', but I love the situations they were forced into.

Having to come back after being beat 7-0 in a game for example. Having to play desperate in series' when they were down. Having to come back after blowing a 3-0 lead in a game. Having to experience a game 7 on the road.

These are great, these situations won't be alien to them as soon as next season. I love it as an Oiler fan.

My "pie in the sky" or "I'd run around my neighborhood naked to make that happen" dream for this season as an ideal fantasy was to somehow match or come close to the 06-07 Penguins, where Sid won Hart + Art Ross, Malkin busted as the star no.2 option, they made the playoffs after finishing second last the year before, and got playoff experience.

The Oilers basically all that and even exceeded them in the playoffs. Proud of this team and excited for the future.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Like this you mean?

It is unfair to conclude he isn't a great playoff performer after one year but it is not unfair to wonder if his game can be as dominant in the playoffs.

His game is just not that dominant. When it comes time to grind and physically own the puck, that's not his game.

brodano

Oct 19, 2011
RNH and Eberle are easy enough to move, hell Vegas would take Eberle in 2 seconds if he was available in the expansion draft. Many teams like Montreal, New Jersey, Arizona, NY Islanders, etc. would take Nugent Hopkins too.

I've crunched the Oilers projected cap many times too, I'm a big fan.

The sooner you can get into a "win now" mode the better IMO. Chicago and Pittsburgh showed that, Oilers got a great crash course in playoff hockey, and not just like 'oh we played a few games', but I love the situations they were forced into.

Having to come back after being beat 7-0 in a game for example. Having to play desperate in series' when they were down. Having to come back after blowing a 3-0 lead in a game. Having to experience a game 7 on the road.

These are great, these situations won't be alien to them as soon as next season. I love it as an Oiler fan.

ya it would all be sun shine and lollipops if vegas took eberle... however they won't.

you danced around everything i said and if you rush a "win now" attitude you can fall short like all the other teams EVERY year. make moves that put them in a better position on PAPER. but cap is everything baby girl. Sooner you realize that the better you'll be.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What does this have to do with anything?

Are you saying that we should judge Crosby to be the best in the world right now because he has outscored McDavid in these playoffs?

Doesn't really bother me if people say Sid is the best right now, I like Sid quite a bit. Connor will have his time, he's already close IMO and it's a 10 year age difference, time is on the side of one guy.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Mcdavid looks ordinary when he isn't padding his stats vs bottom feeder pacific teams like van arizona.

Completely no show especially game 7 . Very perimeter based game like Ovechkin.

There's no denying what you're saying.

He wasn't meh.. Hell he was ok. he just wasn't.. McDavidish.

To put it more clearly the nhl playoffs is so defensive in big games. The stars don't shine. the team that works their ***** off do win.

When the chips are really on the floor.. it's Guentzal's of the league that come out. not the McDavid's.. the Crosby's.. the Makin's.. who you couldn't even see play the game 7's tonight.

SSJ3 Lunar

WWE made me jaded
Nov 2, 2010
Atlanta
1. It's his first post season.

2. I think everyone in the west that is talking trash about McDavid is going to be very upset by how well the Oilers do under his lead as Captain in a few years.

3. He's twenty years old, and will only get better.

4. He had Kesler all over him the entire time.

5. Congrats Edmonton, I'm glad you guys made it to the playoffs and made it as far as you did. Always rooted for you guys.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
ya it would all be sun shine and lollipops if vegas took eberle... however they won't.

you danced around everything i said and if you rush a "win now" attitude you can fall short like all the other teams EVERY year. make moves that put them in a better position on PAPER. but cap is everything baby girl. Sooner you realize that the better you'll be.

lol, ok buddy. I've followed the NBA for many years too, and the NBA is basically 100% a cap league basically, meaning there are virtually no trades that aren't cap dumps.

And sure I think Vegas would take Eberle. Even if they were dumb enough to choose .... Beniot Pouliot or whoever off our unprotected list instead in that scenario, there are several takers for Eberle. Islanders probably chief among them, but even so here's a cap pro tip for you baby girl:

Eberle is only 2 years term left, which in the grand scheme of things is nothing. We have fairly large expiring contracts every year for the next couple of years, including 10 million off the books just from expiring deals in 2 seasons time.

You're not magically getting Nylander and Marner to sign for like 4.5 mill per either because you played one round in the playoffs instead of two, you think their player agents are stupid?

Good players get paid.

Backpack

Sep 24, 2011
Baldwin Hills
He had some good moments. Never took over a game like Getz or Drai. His speed is his best attribute and space is so much tighter in the POs, it becomes more a game of inches than of feet. He will need to adapt, get stronger, add muscle, possibly lose some speed, in order to take over a game in the POs.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
He might be the Peyton Manning of the NHL. Ridiculous regular season stats, but come playoff time when there's game planning and the defence tightens up, the numbers become pedestrian.

Manning still won 2 Superbowls for what it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad